Thorn Confirms interest in Kevin Phillips (1 Viewer)

Covstar

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/co...irms-andy-thorn-92746-28881270/#ixzz1PKU0d66p

Could be a decent signing for a season at least but his wages might be a bit of a stumbling block.

I'm still undecided on him. Would you rather spend the wage budget on a couple of young strikers or gamble with an ageing striker who no doubt still has the ability to find the back of the net when given chance.

Would certainly back whatever decision Andy makes.
PUSB

ccfc luke

Undecided on this, theres no doubting that hes a quality player that will get us goals. But i think it would be wiser for us to buy/sign a younger striker.

blueflint

wouldn't care either way young or old as long as they do the business :blue:

ccfc_Tom

He was probably given that 25k a week contract a couple of years back, so i imagine less than half of that would be an acceptable wage, especially because of his age.

mattylad

that was a three year premiership wage package but still not sure I would spend the £10,000 - £12,000 he would now cost on a 38 year old

PhilWasn'tBabb

However good he once was he's 38!! I really hope we don't offer what little money we have to a player we will only get 10 or 12 games out of.

I know he would add something to the coaching side of things, but we need somebody who is going to play 40 plus games.

ccfc_Tom

Giggs still does the business at centre mid which requires more running and he played nearly every man utd game this season, despite difference in class i still think its the same situation.

Marty

Kev phillps is still a quality player and think hes worth the money, i reckon he could still play 30+ games a season, hes kept himself in good shape over the years so like Beckham and giggs he could play into his 40's if he wanted. in the right formation and style of play i could see him outscoring mk9.

only 10 years ago he was the top scorer in europe, in a shite sunderland team.

PhilWasn'tBabb

Ok I understand what your saying, but being the first name on the team sheet every week at Coventry, in the championship is a little different to being a bit part play at Man utd and playing beach football in the states.

For a striker at 38 I think the championship would be a very unforgiving place.

ccfctommy

I think any Championship team will be lucky to have him, you can go on about his age, but I still think he will be quality even now for one season.

Of course its a risk, but one worth taking IMO.

frishnit1979

I think it's fair to say that he is an excellent finisher, but a great deal will depend on the service being delivered to him: I can't imagine he's got the legs for the swift attacks these days and will rely on balls dropped to him. Secondly, if his wage demands would limit the potential being brought in, there is a consideration to be had here. I'd like to see him sign and prove his worth: perhaps cancel out the "last minute opposition goal syndrome" we were afflicted with last season by scoring a few of his own as a super-sub?

And woo! for first post

ajsccfc

Unless Phillips has known injury issues, I don't see any reason for him to have a problem with the physical side of the Championship. Look at Graham Alexander at Burnley, around the same age he was behind their promotion and then their PL campaign.

operationprem

Be a great signing! If we can afford it sign him up. Be good for 20 goals in the championship, be great to see him out score marlon
PUSB

skybluetom

I've watched him twice this season, against us in the Cup and against Blackburn when I was on a freebie and even at 38 he looked a class apart. I'm sure Blues would have liked to keep him but I imagine their financial situation meant they wanted him off the books. He'd be quality I'm sure but he even said himself on the radio a few weeks back one problem in him finding a new club are his large wage demands! I don't think for a minute we'd be able to afford him.

Il Pirata

He'll end up as an impact sub because that's what he's best at, he doesn't have a season in him anymore. Depends whether you think that's worth giving a lot of money for.

King-Dion

Gordon Strachan played until he was 40 for us in the Premiership. He proved to be a lousy manager but he was an exceptionally good player, even at age 40.

Users who are viewing this thread