Thorns signings (2 Viewers)

bigfatronssba

Christ, how depressing is this.

I think this was the summer when we we're pinning all our hopes on the rapist?

Marlon King, Gary Deegan, and Freddie Eastwood. Those three alone show just how much the general character of the squad has changed.
Our players now seem like nice, decent people that would be fun to be around.

Back then we would've put Fred West up front if he'd get us 9 goals.

rob9872

Having posted on this thread in 2011, I've been here almost every day ever since. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but I reckon I average half an hour a day. That's over a week per year and therefore 13 weeks in 13 years. You can double that quality time due to sleep etc so basically 26 weeks and therefore half a year of my life wasted on this place ... and I'm not even a prolific poster compared to some of you. That's fekkin depressing!!

Sky Blue Harry H

Having posted on this thread in 2011, I've been here almost every day ever since. Sometimes more, sometimes less, but I reckon I average half an hour a day. That's over a week per year and therefore 13 weeks in 13 years. You can double that quality time due to sleep etc so basically 26 weeks and therefore half a year of my life wasted on this place ... and I'm not even a prolific poster compared to some of you. That's fekkin depressing!!
Thanks for that @rob9872 - to be fair, I've looked at the number of post I've made (not so many early doors, but far too often, and that's disregarding the browsing). A couple of others are on a different level.

Esoterica

Thanks for that @rob9872 - to be fair, I've looked at the number of post I've made (not so many early doors, but far too often, and that's disregarding the browsing). A couple of others are on a different level.
Keep your head down and only say anything when you truly think it’s worth listening to. My view on life that I’ve carried over onto here! (Match day knee jerk reactions aside!!)

napolimp

You have to do something with your time. If it wasn't this you would have found some other time wasting activity.

djr8369

Keep your head down and only say anything when you truly think it’s worth listening to. My view on life that I’ve carried over onto here! (Match day knee jerk reactions aside!!)
Funnily enough I said similar on a different thread the other day after getting frustrated with some of the negativity! Probably some poetry there about shouting into the void, but you never know…

Mild-Mannered Janitor

Kindest Bloke on CCFC / Maker of CCFC Dreams
How were we not all on the phone to Samaritans back then, its the closest I've come along with Slade when I said to my mate and our kids, we are not renewing next year if they are in charge and they all agreed. I have pretty much erased any memory of the games they were in charge of until now.

skybluegod

How were we not all on the phone to Samaritans back then, its the closest I've come along with Slade when I said to my mate and our kids, we are not renewing next year if they are in charge and they all agreed. I have pretty much erased any memory of the games they were in charge of until now.

I remember one decent game under Slade - the 1-1 Draw at P'Boro maybe his second game? We actually played pretty well (or at least better than we had done that year!) it soon went down hill.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

I remember one decent game under Slade - the 1-1 Draw at P'Boro maybe his second game? We actually played pretty well (or at least better than we had done that year!) it soon went down hill.
He probably hadn't managed to influence them by then - zero credit to him :)

Briles

SkyBluePower

My memory on Thorn was that he was a popular choice for fans which of course played into Sisus hands- they were now at the stage where it was clear they had messed up and had given up basically.
Thorn was a cheap and easy option. No due diligence or forward planning. “It was your choice”
No wonder Robins improved the side so quickly after him.

Sick Boy

My memory on Thorn was that he was a popular choice for fans which of course played into Sisus hands- they were now at the stage where it was clear they had messed up and had given up basically.
Thorn was a cheap and easy option. No due diligence or forward planning. “It was your choice”
No wonder Robins improved the side so quickly after him.
There'd have been a huge backlash if he'd not got the job and any criticism of his ability was met with abuse.
At the time he was compared to George and John and even touted as a future England manager.

Mild-Mannered Janitor

We need to cut Andy Thorn some slack, arguably better than Peter Reid, Russell Slade, Mark Venus, Adrian Heath, Terry Butcher, Phil Neal.
I could go on but feel suicidal.
Lower win ratio than all of them, won less than 10 games as a manager, the others were not the best either but he ended up with a poor win return in lower leagues than Neall, Butcher and Reid

bigfatronssba

Dowie was a good manager, but fml, ugly isn’t the word! 🫣🫣🫣

Agree. Dowie had us mid table with a mediocre team.
Then Sisu sacked him, brought Coleman in, gave him money, and we nearly went down.

JimmyHillsbeard

Pleased to see this thread. Hilarious.

And an excuse to rerun one of the best GMK lines ever (obvs not mine) on the prospect of The manager playing a youthful team ….

The Thorn with the boys in his side.

Blind-Faith

Loved the diamond formation of I remember correctly? Did we have sideways Sammy around this time? Wasn’t the worst footballer in the world tbf to him, but I do remember one horrific back pass away at Brighton which cost us a goal

Sick Boy

Loved the diamond formation of I remember correctly? Did we have sideways Sammy around this time? Wasn’t the worst footballer in the world tbf to him, but I do remember one horrific back pass away at Brighton which cost us a goal
The football under Thorn was dreadful. I remember being certain he’d take us down as early as September away at Palace, it was pathetic.

Legia Sky Blue

The records show that Thorn actually did ok when he first took over from Bothroyd when he steadied the ship to the end of the 2010/11 season. That background made it easier for SISU to then make him permanent manager, without too much dissent from our support, who at the time were pretty fed up with the endless stream of new managers we had following relegation from the PL.

However, with no real background as a manager he was pretty much a 'yes' man to SISU and meekly accepted the loss of King, Turner, Gunnarsson and Westwood to be replaced by much poorer players, if replaced at all. This was later compounded in the January window when Jutkiewicz was also sold.

I remember when we played the season opener against Leicester with three 17 year olds in the team, thinking already that this was the season we would drop, and so we did. It felt the whole club was gearing up for relegation and that SISU were quite happy for that to happen in order to reduce costs. The fact Thorn wasn't sacked after our relegation tends to back that up, in that he wasn't really blamed for our relegation as most other managers would have been.

His poor start the next season of course condemned his fate in the end (although Richard Shaw did manage to do even worse in the immediate aftermath), and his subsequent career history shows that he never had it in him to have been a successful manager.

bigfatronssba

The records show that Thorn actually did ok when he first took over from Bothroyd when he steadied the ship to the end of the 2010/11 season. That background made it easier for SISU to then make him permanent manager, without too much dissent from our support, who at the time were pretty fed up with the endless stream of new managers we had following relegation from the PL.

However, with no real background as a manager he was pretty much a 'yes' man to SISU and meekly accepted the loss of King, Turner, Gunnarsson and Westwood to be replaced by much poorer players, if replaced at all. This was later compounded in the January window when Jutkiewicz was also sold.

I remember when we played the season opener against Leicester with three 17 year olds in the team, thinking already that this was the season we would drop, and so we did. It felt the whole club was gearing up for relegation and that SISU were quite happy for that to happen in order to reduce costs. The fact Thorn wasn't sacked after our relegation tends to back that up, in that he wasn't really blamed for our relegation as most other managers would have been.

His poor start the next season of course condemned his fate in the end (although Richard Shaw did manage to do even worse in the immediate aftermath), and his subsequent career history shows that he never had it in him to have been a successful manager.

When all those players were sold we always got the same excuse. “Once their head is turned it’s impossible to keep them”.
Do we actually believe that anymore? Do we actually believe that the likes of Ben Turner had his head turned by Cardiff?

It seems so much easier for us to keep players now. Yes we’re still a selling club, but it’s much more on our terms now.

Is it that the players now are happier to be here? Or is it that we expect our players to honour their contracts?

Users who are viewing this thread