Tommy widdrington (1 Viewer)

singers_pore

Never seen such a change in a player from when he came in to what he was like shortly afterwards. This is the highlight of his time here.

Drinkell was a crock following a serious injury. Both he and Rangers knew it when he moved to us. Unfortunately the club did not do a proper medical. Instead they just asked for a letter from his GP!

SlowerThanPlatt

Head of Recruitment Tommy Widdrington has been in France taking a closer look at the progression of both Thomas and Cian Harries.

He said: "As part of Coventry City's recruitment process it's important we are aware of the emerging talent in the home countries, whether as transfer or loan targets.

"In the last 4 days I've seen 7 games involving players from all over the British isles (and as far as Cuba, Angola and Indonesia), which has given me an insight into the levels of the U20 internationals.

"Of course it's also very important that George and Cian know we are interested in and monitoring their progress too. Both have done themselves and our club proud and I hope they manage to progress to the knock out stages,"

He added: "I managed to have a chat with both of them following the 2-2 draw with the Ivory Coast and they were very upbeat, if a little surprised to see me."

steve82

Head of Recruitment Tommy Widdrington has been in France taking a closer look at the progression of both Thomas and Cian Harries.

He said: "As part of Coventry City's recruitment process it's important we are aware of the emerging talent in the home countries, whether as transfer or loan targets.

"In the last 4 days I've seen 7 games involving players from all over the British isles (and as far as Cuba, Angola and Indonesia), which has given me an insight into the levels of the U20 internationals.

"Of course it's also very important that George and Cian know we are interested in and monitoring their progress too. Both have done themselves and our club proud and I hope they manage to progress to the knock out stages,"

He added: "I managed to have a chat with both of them following the 2-2 draw with the Ivory Coast and they were very upbeat, if a little surprised to see me."

Very wise in looking to be seen to care and looking after the clubs players development and futures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sw88

Chief Commentator!

Not a bad working holiday I say :)

Nick

Administrator
Seems like he is getting things done!

Has been key in a few deals and also bringing in the trialist from Ireland (may be others). It's nice to see.

steve82

We had Venus last season doing the same thing. (or trying)

Just what did Venus do last summer?
Who did he actually identify who we could actually sign.

Early signs are better this year, it's still early and things still could all go wrong but the lift around the place and at Ryton this summer should be huge.
Top marks to Tommy, I look forward to any other deals he's in the pipeline.

Nick

Administrator
Just what did Venus do last summer?
Who did he actually identify who we could actually sign.

Early signs are better this year, it's still early and things still could all go wrong but the lift around the place and at Ryton this summer should be huge.
Top marks to Tommy, I look forward to any other deals he's in the pipeline.

That's what I mean, it was what he was meant to be doing.

“He’ll be watching the team, watching us play and train because his job will be to go out and put in place this scouting structure to help us find players who can help improve the team within the budget,” said Mowbray.

“So it’s a fine line and Mark can help me stretch the budget to get the best on the pitch as well as putting the infrastructure behind it.”

steve82

That's what I mean, it was what he was meant to be doing.

That's why I don't understand how recruitment went so wrong last year. Venus knew the money side of things and if it was all cut back.... so why not recruit appropriately with suitable league one players that were moving around for free. Not low end championship players still wanted my a wage.

Did MV actually fail his mate?

Nick

Administrator
That's why I don't understand how recruitment went so wrong last year. Venus knew the money side of things and if it was all cut back.... so why not recruit appropriately with suitable league one players that were moving around for free. Not low end championship players still wanted my a wage.

Could just have been he didn't have a clue about that job, he's back to assistant manager again now isn't he?

steve82

Could just have been he didn't have a clue about that job, he's back to assistant manager again now isn't he?

Yes assistant this time as opposed to Jamie Clapham.

Good job really as "all he does is football, it's all he does"

covcity4life

widdrington making a huge difference. shows how it was infrastructure lackign last season rather than the manager that caused recruitment issues

yes you can say robins helped bring TW in, but thats a black and white way of looking at things, venus clearly thought he could do it, it didnt work out. sometimes you have to make mistakes to learn from them and correct them

1 thing is for sure,both tm and mr both realised infrastructure needed changing. it changed too late for one of them thats all. now we just gotta hope mr can take full advantage and get us bacj to champiobnship

SkyBlueCRJ

I think originally MV and TM actually did their homework on players well. However, it was their business sense in the transfer market that was the result of poor players being bought in. If you look at comments from both MV and TM throughout their tenure, they seemed to be obsessed with beating the system. Or in more accurate terms, making the most of our budget by bringing in players who's quality was better than League One and sticking them on relatively low money. This was the case with the likes of Adam Armstrong, Jacob Murphy, Ryan Kent, Romain Vincelot, Joe Cole, Ben Turner etc. However, this tactic was a risk as CCFC's star players were all on loan deals/one year contracts. All these players are now playing their trade at a higher level, so how did both individuals manage to convince players of this quality to come to CCFC? It seems to me the way he managed to sell CCFC was by selling the club as a 'stepping stone' for their respective careers.

This suggests that both TM and MV saw their crop of players the season before last as a short term fix. So, once the 2016/17 season came about I believe rather than building a squad that could compete competitively at League One level, both felt under pressure to build on the successes of last season and subsequently realised that in doing so, a more permanent team was required. This obviously didn't materialise as both TM and MV once again had this obsession of attempting to beat the system by bringing in his 'Championship quality' players on a small wage. This lead to drab such Turnbull being bought in because TM and MV didn't have an adequate, in-depth shortlist to cope with transfer fall throughs - i.e. Kelvin Wilson. As with on the pitch, TM didn't have a Plan B. Therefore, the result in their failure of this was continuous panic buys that weren't scouted thoroughly enough and bought in as a gamble. It was their risk taking that ended up being their downfall.

Captain Dart

It's shocking to think it's taken all these years to get something as simple as a proper recruitment guy in. Club has been a shambles for far too long.
Did the club not have this in place when SISU took over and they neglected or dismantled it, and (after 10 years) eventually realised it was needed. Slow learners.

SkyBlueCRJ

Did the club not have this in place when SISU took over and they neglected or dismantled it, and (after 10 years) eventually realised it was needed. Slow learners.

We did but they dismantled it as a part of cost cutting. Andy Thorn was our head scout when they came in if you remember - or at least was around in their early days.

Esoterica

widdrington making a huge difference. shows how it was infrastructure lackign last season rather than the manager that caused recruitment issues

yes you can say robins helped bring TW in, but thats a black and white way of looking at things, venus clearly thought he could do it, it didnt work out. sometimes you have to make mistakes to learn from them and correct them

1 thing is for sure,both tm and mr both realised infrastructure needed changing. it changed too late for one of them thats all. now we just gotta hope mr can take full advantage and get us bacj to champiobnship
giphy.gif

Users who are viewing this thread