Top Ten City goals of all time (1 Viewer)

torchomatic

max vs yeovil
max vs swindon
max vs peterborough
max vs notts county
max vs mk dons
max vs cheltenham
max vs southampton u23s
max va birmigham
huckerby vs manchester united
houchen vs totteham

TBF, the goal against Peterborough was stunning. If that had been scored in the Premiership then it would have been on constant repeat on Sky.

Briles

Mcalliister vs Derby. Slightly biased as I was behind the goal.

Legia Sky Blue

Nuddy at Everton 1992/93 season :

Could probably do a Top 10 of Ndlovu goals that would all hold their own. As well as those already mentioned I remember his goals at Wimbledon in a relegation crunch match. Also a winning goal he scored against Villa and one against Norwich when Ray Stubbs went all Barry White on Match of the Day, emphasising his name as 'Ndluuuurve'.

Speedie and Huckerby would also have a decent collection to their names. Steve Hunt must have had a few too, but those were the days when we only had limited TV footage from which to jog our memories.

baldy

These are the ones that stand out in my memory for me (there’s probably others but I can’t recall them)

Brian ‘Bugsy’ Borrows v the Vile at Villa Park
Walsh v Rochdale
Stern John v Middlesborough in the F.A cup
Thomas v Wycombe in the Johnstones Paint trophy semi (just because it meant Cov were going to Wembley for the first time in my City supporting lifetime)
Thomas (again) v Oxford at Wembley
Willis v Exeter at Wembley
Hadjis 2nd at THAT match at Villa Park
Keane v Watford at home
Hadjis in the same match
Noubles in the Ricoh return (the first of about 10 returns it feels like)

pusbccfc

These are the ones that stand out in my memory for me (there’s probably others but I can’t recall them)

Brian ‘Bugsy’ Borrows v the Vile at Villa Park
Walsh v Rochdale
Stern John v Middlesborough in the F.A cup
Thomas v Wycombe in the Johnstones Paint trophy semi (just because it meant Cov were going to Wembley for the first time in my City supporting lifetime)
Thomas (again) v Oxford at Wembley
Willis v Exeter at Wembley
Hadjis 2nd at THAT match at Villa Park
Keane v Watford at home
Hadjis in the same match
Noubles in the Ricoh return (the first of about 10 returns it feels like)

Walsh against Rochdale is the most skillful goal any Coventry player has scored. It didn't get the appreciation it deserved.

Johnnythespider

I think this lad deserves a seat at the top table, but i wasn't there so i can't nominate it,

slowpoke

Some great goals unfortunately not recorded on tv one that does come up from older fans now and again was a George Hudson classic I think against Southampton on a snow covered pitch when he controlled the ball, flicked it over centre-half Tony Knapp’s (who we later signed) head, turned and volleyed the ball into the net all in one movement as I said a classic goal from a class player.

DannyThomas_1981

Just to add in:

Grimmer’s goal in the L1 play off - just perfect in every sense for all kinds of reasons.

Huckerby, Boxing Day, Elland Rd - absolutely fucking unplayable that day - just ran the oppo ragged - a joy to watch.

And not the greatest goal but certainly the loudest goal I heard celebrated at HR, Garry Thompson’s late winner against West Ham in the LC semi final.

And no one will remember this, Dave Bennett’s strike against Luton away around 85 - Benno in my view one of our all time greats. He had it all.

Finally, Bayliss surging forward and scoring the clincher against County away. The scenes!

Grendel

Just to add in:

Grimmer’s goal in the L1 play off - just perfect in every sense for all kinds of reasons.

Huckerby, Boxing Day, Elland Rd - absolutely fucking unplayable that day - just ran the oppo ragged - a joy to watch.

And not the greatest goal but certainly the loudest goal I heard celebrated at HR, Garry Thompson’s late winner against West Ham in the LC semi final.

And no one will remember this, Dave Bennett’s strike against Luton away around 85 - Benno in my view one of our all time greats. He had it all.

Finally, Bayliss surging forward and scoring the clincher against County away. The scenes!

We were never in a league 1 play off

Skybluefaz

There were some very good goals scored in the lower leagues I find it hard to put them alongside goals scored against some of the best players in the world in the Premier League though. Speaking of which, Robbie Keane vs Arsenal is probably in my top 10. Not sure if it's been mentioned already.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Some geezer called Ouchen, Hutchen, Hooch, er something like that! Just can't remember his name. Best goal in City's history! :rolleyes:

Hertsccfc

Just to add in:

I remember the Bennett goal. Think it was 1983, early in Bobby Gould's first season. It was a long range left foot shot from memory.

Pricey1984

One that stands out to me is the Froggatt one in 98 against Everton. I was sat right behind it and to quote Andy gray on the day, you just don't save those

Hertsccfc

Steve Whitton scored a lot of great goals. I remember the one against Man U and against Luton at Highfield Road.

Although Tommy Hutchison didn't score many those he did were often good. There was one against Birmingham where he beat a couple of players on the edge of the box then lobbed the keeper.

Legia Sky Blue

Steve Whitton scored a lot of great goals. I remember the one against Man U and against Luton at Highfield Road.

Although Tommy Hutchison didn't score many those he did were often good. There was one against Birmingham where he beat a couple of players on the edge of the box then lobbed the keeper.

Also remember Hutch scoring a bit of a thunderbolt against Gary Bailey for Man U. Think we won 4-3!

Calista

Ernie Hunt lobbing the Burnley keeper from around the halfway line, about 1970 I would think.

Mr. Entertainment

gruffskyblue

Wow a whole thread on goals and no mention of Noel Whelan ?
There is a YouTube of his greatest City goals , most of them would make a top 10

Watch my video. I have two of them in it! In fact my Number 2 is my personal 'best ever' city goal (which makes sense if you see the video!). Whelan's at Wimbledon. And I WAS there so it counts! Only topped by Huckerby's for its euphoric, emotional wonder.

DannyThomas_1981

I remember the Bennett goal. Think it was 1983, early in Bobby Gould's first season. It was a long range left foot shot from memory.
Exactly right - can’t believe you were there Herts - fantastic. I had family connections with one of the Luton players - and was in the player’s lounge afterwards - as a youngster what really hit me was the despondency of the Luton team after the game. It was a first eye opening look at professional sport.

Users who are viewing this thread