Total Dominance (1 Viewer)

mrtrench

That was a great game, but today we were verging on taking the piss at times. We were very assured!

It did feel like that didn't it? Palmer and COH in particular, our two most talented players, looking like they were playing with them, as a cat will with some unfortunate vole.

mrtrench

We still conceded two so not all one way

Both totally against the run of play and from outside the box. Deflection and sun in Wilson's eyes for the first. I would imagine Wilson is cross with himself for the second but I think he was unsighted and saw it late.

I think the point is rather about the dominance in possession and being able to score at will. I also think that had some of the other attacks mattered, we would have scored from them.

Mucca Mad Boys

It did feel like that didn't it? Palmer and COH in particular, our two most talented players, looking like they were playing with them, as a cat will with some unfortunate vole.

I do think there was an instruction towards the end of the first half to ‘take a breather’ and control the ball. Likewise after we went 4-1 up.

We turned it up again when Oxford pulled one back and Allen and Godden were brought on.

Robins managed the game very well and to be honest, we conceded 2 poor goals.

mrtrench

I do think there was an instruction towards the end of the first half to ‘take a breather’ and control the ball. Likewise after we went 4-1 up.

We turned it up again when Oxford pulled one back and Allen and Godden were brought on.

Robins managed the game very well and to be honest, we conceded 2 poor goals.

I don't understand why teams with a lead don't do this more. Too often they cede possession softly and expend more energy chasing down the opposition. It seems to me that the way to conserve energy is to keep possession and let them chase us.

There was a game years ago, England playing Italy in Rome, where England needed a point. They controlled the game by keeping mostly unthreatening possession. I'd like to see that more than frantic punting of the ball into touch or to nobody and relinquishing the ball.

slowpoke

We have had three games now when the match was all over bar the shouting after an hour or so, yesterday it was 17 minutes. We are hitting top form just at the right time and still a little bit under the pundits radar.

Reactions: JSL

Robinshio

We took the foot off at 3-1 it was so easy for us. Back on it in the 2nd half
Anyone not totally delighted with that may as well give up now
We literally were taking the piss and they couldn’t do anything about it

Johnnythespider

My first ever game was against Oxford United in 1987 at HR. So, I’ve been watching the city for 35 years now and I’m trying to remember a game we have dominated like todays for the full 90mins. I mean we just completely ran the game from start to finish. Obviously I’ve been used to us being the better side for most of the games under Robins, but to completely run the game for the full extent is impressive. In the prem years we were often on the back foot against top opposition, so would rarely get the opportunity to dominate.

Can anyone think of a Cov game with such total dominance? Not just the scoreline, but the free flowing football. It was an absolute joy.
Well it was only 3-0 but you're first game was pretty one way as I recall, and against a team in the same league as us

shmmeee

I don't understand why teams with a lead don't do this more. Too often they cede possession softly and expend more energy chasing down the opposition. It seems to me that the way to conserve energy is to keep possession and let them chase us.

There was a game years ago, England playing Italy in Rome, where England needed a point. They controlled the game by keeping mostly unthreatening possession. I'd like to see that more than frantic punting of the ball into touch or to nobody and relinquishing the ball.

Yeah but as soon as you try and pass it out and it’s intercepted you’re public enemy no 1

Evo1883

Thought we were largely exceptional yesterday .. oxford fans will I'm sure have been amazed at the gulf between the teams

Nuskyblue

The first half wasn't what I'd call total domination, after the 3rd we were pretty sloppy and lacked control.

The second half was as one sided as I've seen, Oxford looked like a pub team. We were properly taking the piss in the last 10.

slowpoke

Oxford were ripped to pieces despite their equaliser, I watched the first half back and their players were all over the place we should have gone in at half time 6 up.

skybluegod

Maybe it was the excitement of a rare big crowd I recall we battered Crewe in the JPT first leg, only to lose 3-0.

Yeah think we as something like 20 shots, hit the post twice. 15 corners or something stupid. Chris Dunn came on at half time and dropped a clanger.

One of Robins last games as well wasn't it? With Lee Carsley in charge for the return leg.

Users who are viewing this thread