Transfer targets (7 Viewers)

Kingokings204

As much as I think it’s good to be rational and positive and trusting about the whole transfer situation, I do think there’s something to be said for getting a marquee player signed in this transfer window. The one big positive we have on our side for any potential signings is last season’s performance, we showed that we have the ability to make it to the play-off final, narrowly missing out on joining the prem. I don’t like being pessimistic about it all but I do think we have a much slimmer chance of making it to a play-off final this year than last year. If we wait and don’t finish in the top 6 then it will undoubtedly make a player think twice about joining us. That’s one massive thing we have over clubs like Norwich or Milwall or Boro etc atm, we can say to players “if you join us there’s a very good chance you’ll be playing in the prem next year”, I could be massively wrong but I don’t think we’ll have the luxury of saying that this time next year.

I think King should be striking whilst the iron’s hot, whilst there’s momentum and positivity throughout the club, whilst there’s 19,000 season ticket holders. Fair play it’s a very ballsy move saying “no I’m prepared to wait” but I’m not entirely sure it’s the right thing for us atm.

blimey so you don’t call breaking our club transfer record a marquee signing?

also rewind to Last august and last day of the window and we were rock bottom of the league not playing home games. Yet we are less likely to reach the play off final this season?

You’re a hard person to please

BlueSkiesForever

blimey so you don’t call breaking our club transfer record a marquee signing?

also rewind to Last august and last day of the window and we were rock bottom of the league not playing home games. Yet we are less likely to reach the play off final this season?

You’re a hard person to please

All true but got to remember that we lost the best striker in the championship and probably the best midfielder in the championship along with a load of squad depth, Wright had to be a marquee signing to replace Vik just to keep track with the quality that we had up top last season. For me it’s not about the money or the name, it’s about the quality of the player and of the team, without that key midfielder I feel like it may be a bit of struggle to break into the top 6.

Also it’s obviously true we started poorly last season and still managed to finish in the top 6 but we were gifted a massive slice of luck with the way the oppositions’ results fell towards the end of the season, losses and draws for certain teams exactly when we needed them. Not to say it can’t happen again and I want to keep optimistic but I can’t help but feel we’ll be lacking if we don’t get a decent quality CM signed in this window.

Kingokings204

All true but got to remember that we lost the best striker in the championship and probably the best midfielder in the championship along with a load of squad depth, Wright had to be a marquee signing to replace Vik just to keep track with the quality that we had up top last season. For me it’s not about the money or the name, it’s about the quality of the player and of the team, without that key midfielder I feel like it may be a bit of struggle to break into the top 6.

Also it’s obviously true we started poorly last season and still managed to finish in the top 6 but we were gifted a massive slice of luck with the way the oppositions’ results fell towards the end of the season, losses and draws for certain teams exactly when we needed them. Not to say it can’t happen again and I want to keep optimistic but I can’t help but feel we’ll be lacking if we don’t get a decent quality CM signed in this window.
Yeah I do agree with that. We have probably lost the best striker and midfielder in the league. But overall we are a better team. I think you put Hamer in our team now then we all but there.
It’s a long season many things can happen including injury’s but such is life when we lost the penalty shoot out Vik and hamer were going to go. If we can pull off a star midfielder then bring on this season. ironically I believe hamer was better playing further up behind Vik than in the two with sheaf.

Finham

Not really fuck sake , the squad needed substantial investment after losing the players we have , it received it but lets not pretend we wouldnt have struggled without it .. there is still 15 million available ..

That's a fact

No, it's not.

WE HAVE NO REAL IDEA HOW MUCH WE GOT FOR HAMER.

Houdi

I guess we need to see who’s coming in by a Friday. We don’t know who the targets are. But at the same time we won’t just spend millions on players Robins doesn’t really want.
Exactly, the best option would be that we sign 2 to 3 quality players. However the worst option would not be that we sign nobody , the worst option would be that we sign 2 to 3 bang average/ poor players and blow all our budget. It would have been so easy for the club to sign 3/4/5/6 new players to appease certain fans 'desperate' for their daily 'new player fix'.
Over the last few years Everton have blown about half a billion pounds on new players,and look where it has got them, facing possible relegation, points deductions, a terrible playing squad and an angry fanbase.

BlueSkiesForever

People can be slightly concerned by the lack of movement since the Hamer sale. It’s not negative, it’s a fact. The current midfield is short of decent options

Absolutely, I find it quite surprising that with a supposed £15 mil from Hamer (or around that figure at least) we have not managed to convince one talented midfielder from Europe. You think of the all clubs from all the leagues in Europe and we’ve not been able to attract one? Even if it means paying slightly over the odds because clubs know we have a little bit of cash I think is fine, a million here or there when the player is worth £7-£8 mil say is to be expected. I would rather have a quality CM in now than try and struggle our way through a season again.

gspotgaz

Absolutely, I find it quite surprising that with a supposed £15 mil from Hamer (or around that figure at least) we have not managed to convince one talented midfielder from Europe. You think of the all clubs from all the leagues in Europe and we’ve not been able to attract one? Even if it means paying slightly over the odds because clubs know we have a little bit of cash I think is fine, a million here or there when the player is worth £7-£8 mil say is to be expected. I would rather have a quality CM in now than try and struggle our way through a season again.
The notions of normalising paying over the odds and passing off a million or 2 as nothing is exactly how many championship clubs start to run unsustainable business models and a big reason why we were an absolute joke of a club for 20 odd years from when we got relegated out of prem.

I don’t know what the magic middle ground is in the current game but if we have to be stubborn and take our time to find the real value players that’s fine with me.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

The notions of normalising paying over the odds and passing off a million or 2 as nothing is exactly how many championship clubs start to run unsustainable business models and a big reason why we were an absolute joke of a club for 20 odd years from when we got relegated out of prem.

I don’t know what the magic middle ground is in the current game but if we have to be stubborn and take our time to find the real value players that’s fine with me.
Said this before in another thread - transfers weren’t the reason we were a shitshow, selling highfield road and building a 100m ground at the point of relegation was the reason for the shit show.

the transfer fees are normalised because that’s what it takes to compete. Luckily we’ve just bought in 35m

Frostie

Even if we don't get anyone in, I think we have enough to keep up in the top half of the table till Christmas. January will be a new window and we will have a very good idea of what is working in the team and what isn't. Rome was not built in a day. These things take time.
To build an almost entirely new squad, capable of promotion in one window was always going to be a nigh on impossible task.

coop

I think even with no new signings we are capable of playoff push tbh.

But replace hamer well and we can still target a autos run
Have to disagree as we look toothless upfront and if Faz gets injured very suspect at the back hopefully im wrong.

NorthernWisdom

£17m total package, not sure what the upfront fee was or any addons but knowing King and it being later in the window I’d say most of it was upfront.
I'm used to the fees where £10mil is due on winning the intergalactic cup against Zog Town... and of course our Simms purchase is just that.

It was interesting this one has been left publicly undisclosed with no leakage.

BlueSkiesForever

Have to disagree as we look toothless upfront and if Faz gets injured very suspect at the back hopefully im wrong.

Agree, the last two games we’ve really lacked creativity and that’s why the Hamer replacement is crucial, we need someone that has the ability and confidence to try a through ball or whip in an unexpected cross when the likes of Eccles and Sheaf (as good as they’ve been this year) don’t want to.

BlueSkiesForever

And also what happens if Sheaf or Eccles gets injured, then we’re down to Kelly again, that’s simply not good enough at this level. He’s been a great asset for the club but he’s not of the level of our top 6 competitors.

Kingokings204

And also what happens if Sheaf or Eccles gets injured, then we’re down to Kelly again, that’s simply not good enough at this level. He’s been a great asset for the club but he’s not of the level of our top 6 competitors.

we have Ayari also but again at 19. Not sure he is a suitable replacement but certainly has the skill.

Other teams will have injuries also

BlueSkiesForever

we have Ayari also but again at 19. Not sure he is a suitable replacement but certainly has the skill.

Other teams will have injuries also

I think Ayari will be great for us but I’m not sure if he can play the Sheaf role well or not, maybe he can and then we’re sorted but if not then we’re back to Kelly again.

With regards to other teams, of course every team will get injuries but I feel that the top 6 competitors are going into this season with a full squad, every position covered with loads of bench options, whereas we’re still scrabbling around to find a solid CM, let alone have great bench options. I will always back us no matter what, I’ll always support Robins, I’m just not convinced that we’ve got a strong top 6 squad going into this season.

shmmeee

Said this before in another thread - transfers weren’t the reason we were a shitshow, selling highfield road and building a 100m ground at the point of relegation was the reason for the shit show.

the transfer fees are normalised because that’s what it takes to compete. Luckily we’ve just bought in 35m

ITV digital collapsing and the complete mismanagement post relegation are to blame. Selling HR has nothing to do with it. We were fucked well before then.

Grendel

£17m total package, not sure what the upfront fee was or any addons but knowing King and it being later in the window I’d say most of it was upfront.

We have no idea what we received

Users who are viewing this thread