U18/U21 Development Thread (15 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
Currently losing 7-1. They are scoring quickfire here. :(

speedie87

I'm starting to think there is something seriously wrong going up there at Ryton. Should never be losing that easily, these lads needs to grow up fast

ccfcway

Currently losing 7-1. They are scoring quickfire here. :(

finished 7-2

decent enough team as well

Coventry City: Addai (GK), Haynes, Finch, Di. Kelly-Evans, Whitmore, Stevenson, Shipley (C), Spence, Dev. Kelly-Evans, G. Thomas, McBean

Winny the Bish

That defense consists of two left backs, one right back and a central midfielder. Not that shocked we conceded 7 after seeing the lineup.

SlowerThanPlatt

Defender Darragh Leahy played 90 minutes for Ireland U19s in a 3-1 win over Austria this afternoon

Also 16 year old midfielder Liam Doyle trained with the first team today

SlowerThanPlatt

U18s drew 1-1 with Bolton yesterday. Kyle Finn the scorer. We currently top the South League with 10 points, narrowly ahead of Palace on goal difference

Team was: Skuza, Eccles, McMahon, Thompson, Camwell, Doyle, Bayliss, Finn, Smith, Stedman, Ponticelli

2 away trips to Sheffield next. Sheffield United for the U23s and Sheffield Wednesday for the U18s

SlowerThanPlatt

U23s away at Sheffield United this afternoon (1pm). Darragh Leahy returns from international duty, likely game time for Ben Stevenson and Cian Harries too

SlowerThanPlatt

Full time. 5-1 win (McBean x2, Stevenson, Thomas, Shipley).

Oldest player in the squad was Jack McBean (21) and the youngest was Sam Naylor (16). Sheffield United fielded experienced duo Chris Burke (32) and Caolan Lavery (23)

SlowerThanPlatt

Match report:

American Striker Jack McBean netted his first brace for the club, while Ben Stevenson chipped in with his first goal this season. The scoring was completed by George Thomas and substitute Jordan Shipley, as the Development side shook off last week's defeat to return to triumph in style.

A mistake in the Sheffield United defence nearly handed City an ideal start, gifting Welshman Thomas an early chance. Goalkeeper Aaron Ramsdale failed to deal with a back-pass and Thomas, as lively as expected, nearly pounced. He rounded the ‘keeper before a last ditch challenge denied him the opening goal.

The Sky Blues would not have to wait much longer, though. A period of sustained pressure was rewarded as Stevenson delivered a fantastic ball into the box and on-loan striker McBean got in front of his man to put the visitors ahead in the 13th minute.

Sheffield United’s first chance of the game fell to striker Caolan Lavery. After initially giving the ball away, Cian Harries raced back and produced a superb challenge inside the penalty area to deny the home side an equaliser.

Another mistake in the Blades defence gave 21-year old McBean the opportunity to score his second of the game. The striker anticipated a back-pass before rounding Ramsdale and from a tight angle pulled the ball across the six yard line, but the ball had just too much pace for an oncoming Dion Kelly-Evans to apply the finishing touch.

City doubled their lead ten minutes before halftime. Ryan Haynes, George Thomas and Dev. Kelly-Evans combined to send the latter in behind the United defence. Kelly-Evans beat three men before squaring the ball to McBean to clinch his brace, and net his third of the Development side's league campaign.

It was all City as halftime approached, and only the goalpost denied a third goal. Firstly, McBean forced a good save from Ramsdale and Stevenson’s follow up smashed off the woodwork and away from danger.

The second half started in a similar fashion to the first, just five minutes in City had their third goal of the day. Thomas linked up well with Stevenson and the latter then beat his man inside the United box and slotted it past the goalkeeper.

Sheff Utd soon had a route back into the game from the penalty spot. A City corner was cleared up field and on the counter-attack Brooks escaped his man, but was brought down inside the box. Ben Whiteman stepped up to reduce the deficit.

More pressure from Sheffield United followed, but after some solid defending by the Sky Blues they regained their three-goal advantage. Maycock found space on the edge of the area and slipped the ball through to Thomas who finished well.

There was even time for City to add a fifth goal as two substitutes combined. Kyle Spence broke clear and squared it for Jordan Shipley to tap into an empty net and make it 5-1.

SlowerThanPlatt

Nicky Eaden:

City Under-23s coach Nicky Eaden was impressed with his side’s character as they overcame last week’s result at Charlton to comprehensively beat Sheffield United.

The Sky Blues responded in the perfect manner as they hit five past the Blades to record their second victory of the season.

Striker Jack McBean hit a brace, whilst there were goals for Ben Stevenson, George Thomas and Jordan Shipley as they got back to winning ways.

Eaden was delighted with the reaction of his players. He said: “It was a totally different performance. They needed to show a reaction and they were superb today.

“I told the lads what it would be like today, being from Yorkshire I know how the side’s try to play up here and they coped with everything they had to. The first thing you do is stand up to your opposition and see what they’re made of.

“We played some excellent stuff, particularly in the first half, and there could have been three or four goals at half-time. We were in this position away at Leeds earlier in the season so it is good the players have learnt from that and came away with the win.”

Ahead of the game, Eaden had changed his formation to that of the first-team set-up, but he admits that formations only you get you so far and the players still had to perform.

“It always depends who is available to us. We have some very good young players here so they are involved with the first-team quite a lot.

“Cian Harries was available today and Darragh Leahy was back from international duty so it allowed us to play the system, and the lads seemed very comfortable with it.”

He added: “It seemed we were able to keep the ball a little better with the formation, but like any game it depends on individual performances and they were all fantastic today.”

Jack McBean:

City striker Jack McBean believed the first goal was vital as the Under-23s won in emphatic fashion against Sheffield United yesterday.

The on-loan LA Galaxy forward scored a brace as the Sky Blues recorded a 5-1 victory over the Blades.

But after last week’s disappointment, McBean was delighted to start the game on the front and set the tempo. He said: “We are all very happy with the way we performed. We knew we had to react to last week and the first goal was vital.

“It got our confidence back and allowed us to express ourselves and play our natural game. I thought once we got in front we controlled the game and limited them to very few chances.

“The change of formation was good. My role didn’t really change but the I think the team benefited from it today and we were able to keep the ball and play a lot better football as a result.”

Both of McBean’s goals came from unselfish play from his fellow teammates and he admits it is always positive for a striker when you have talented players setting up the chances.

“Two goals is always nice, especially for a striker. I’ve been getting used to the games over here and progressing each match and today I got my rewards.

“It always helps when you have great teammates around you as it makes your job easier up top. For the first goal Devon Kelly-Evans dribbled past many players and laid it on a plate for me and then Ben Stevenson slipped a great ball to me.

“It gives us something to build on going forward because we all know we have the talent and capabilities to perform like that on a regular basis.”

Users who are viewing this thread