U18/U21 Development Thread (10 Viewers)

shmmeee

So. Obvious question: whonis ready for the first team? Seems like McBean is worth a shout at least.

SlowerThanPlatt

All the passion and drama of the FA Youth Cup begins again soon for the U18s, hopefully another good run. First round draw on Friday

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

COMMENT: Sky Blues midfielder Ben Stevenson is the latest young star off the Academy conveyer belt of talent:

WITH all the continued negativity taking place off the pitch, there was welcome news on it last week as youngster Ben Stevenson committed his long term future to the Sky Blues.

The 19-year-old has been one of very few positives to take from the season so far following a series of hugely impressive performances in the middle of the park.

Despite his young age, Stevenson seems to play way beyond his years and what I like most about him is his determination to win the ball back in the heart of the midfield.

He knows he will make mistakes and give the ball away, but his energy to put things right and win back possession immediately is becoming a joy to watch.

What makes Stevenson even more likeable to us fans is that he’s been involved with the Sky Blues for over ten years having come through the club’s hugely successful academy alongside close friend and fellow midfielder James Maddison.

The two are very alike both on the pitch in their style of play and their looks, and while Maddison took the limelight last season, Stevenson waited patiently for his turn and now seems to be taking his opportunity in the first team with both hands.

It was refreshing to hear Stevenson say how he wanted to help the Sky Blues progress back up the leagues but in truth it is surely on a matter of time before the Premier League and Championship sharks come hunting at the Ricoh Arena, and once again they will be hard to fight off.

Another player I’d to see back in the first team fold is fellow academy graduate Cian Harries.

The young Welsh defender played in all of City’s opening nine matches this season but he hasn’t made an appearance since the hugely disappointing 2-0 defeat at Fleetwood Town at the beginning of September.

I’ve spoken to many fans about Harries and he is highly-rated among the Sky Blue Army. Technically he is superb and his ball-playing skills as a defender are impressive, but perhaps his size is his downfall.

Harries’ style of play has been compared to Liverpool legend Alan Hansen and he’s also in the same mould as John Stones. He shares many similarities with the England centre-back who many people felt needed to ‘bulk up’ during his early days at Everton.

Although it’s still very early days, Harries has similar potential as Stones who came through the Barnsley Academy and is now regarded as one of the best defenders in the Premier League.

I’m not saying Harries is going to reach the same heights but he certainly has the skill and attitude to firstly become a first team regular at City before his potential could take the teenager to a very high level.

It speaks volumes for the fantastic work being carried out by the club’s coaches at youth level and also outlines the importance of the club’s Academy.

We’ve now got a conveyor belt of talent coming through system. Maddison may well have been sold, but Stevenson has filled the hole and if our latest midfield sensation was to move on, I have confidence that there will be another player with similar talent and aspirations ready to make the step into the first team.

Chairman Tim Fisher recently revealed at the latest Supporters Consultative Group (SCG) meeting that the club has to sell players on a yearly basis to be self-sufficient.

Both Stevenson and Harries are now two key assets for the club and both are look likely to play at a higher level.

We’ve seen in the past the likes of Maddison and Callum Wilson being sold perhaps too soon into their Sky Blues career.

Here we have two more Academy products who I’d like to see the new manager build a successful team around – let’s hope they’re given long enough to leave their mark at the Ricoh Arena.

http://coventryobserver.co.uk/sport...r-off-sky-blues-academy-talent-conveyer-belt/

"I want to stay" insists rising Coventry City star Ben Stevenson:

Ben Stevenson insists Coventry City is the club for him.

The 19-year-old signed a new four-year deal with the Sky Blues last week and appears to be growing in stature with every performance, not least a man-of-the-match display against Oxford United on Tuesday night which was topped by a stunning first senior goal.

When the Academy graduate made his long-term commitment to the Ricoh Arena it sparked a flood of comments from fans speculating that he’ll be the next player to be sold by the club, following in the footsteps of his close friend and former team-mate James Maddison who left for Norwich City last January.

But the precocious midfielder, who has made 12 appearances to date and is fast becoming an integral part of Mark Venus’s three-man midfield alongside Chris McCann and Gael Bigirimana, said: “I have been at the club since I was eight and this is where I want to stay. “I’m buzzing that I got the new contract and I just want to kick on as much as I can now.

“It’s all happened pretty quickly and I suppose I’ve been thrown in at the deep end but I think I have coped with it well and I just want to get a run of games now and hopefully push on and do my best for the team.”

After scoring his first goal for the club, Stevenson wants to add more to his game – something that will inevitably add to his profile and saleability.

“Personally I think I need to start scoring more and I hope there are more goals to come from me,” said the teenager

“I want to chip in with as many as possible and hopefully I can break forward a bit more from now on.”

Asked about his rising stock, interim boss and technical director Mark Venus said: “He’s a good young player.

“With all players you have to find the right system, the right position to express themselves but we’re really pleased that he’s committed himself to the football club.

“I want to keep all our players at the football club. When I went on the radio I talked about the business model and hopefully if we can get to the right numbers we don’t have to sell them.”

Asked if believes City are good enough to climb up the table, Stevenson said: “Definitely. I think we’ve always been good enough but just maybe not been doing it in the final third, and that’s everyone, maybe not getting the balls up there or scoring the goals.

“But the performances have been good and if we can start scoring more goals like the other night then we should definitely start going up the league and maybe even get to the play-offs.”

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

Highlights of the U23s sixth consecutive victory, a 5-3 win over Watford. Fantastic free-kick from McBean:

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

Wonder if we could affiliate with Tamworth and get some of our players out playing mens football in January. Andy Morrell & Claus Jorgensen both there, quite local and Claus is always there watching the U23 games

SlowerThanPlatt

Dunkirk FC away for the U18s in the First Round of the FA Youth Cup (tie has to be played by November 5th)

U18s looking to get back to winning ways and back to the top of the South League when they travel to Birmingham tomorrow (11am)

U23s next in action on Tuesday when they travel to South London to take on Crystal Palace aiming to make it 7 consecutive wins (1pm)

Last edited:

SlowerThanPlatt

U18s win 2-0 away at Birmingham (Dan Smith and Jordan Thompson). Back to winning ways and the top of the South League. Both our U18s and our U23s now top their leagues which is very impressive all things considered. Nicky Eaden and Jason Farndon are doing fantastic jobs

Will be interesting to see how we do in the Youth Cup this year. I rate this team as stronger than last years which narrowly lost to Arsenal in the Fifth Round on penalties and they've already beat Cat 1 sides West Brom and Wolves in pre-season

Big game away at Charlton next week for the U18s with them just 1 point behind us in our league!

SlowerThanPlatt

Bench: Addai (GK), Whitmore, Spence, Sayoud, Ponticelli

U18s coach Jason Farndon taking the U23s today as Nicky Eaden is currently with the first team

SlowerThanPlatt

Devon Kelly-Evans makes it 3-0 and is now level on 7 goals for the campaign with Jack McBean.

29 goals in just 10 games for the U23s

Users who are viewing this thread