USSR invades Ukraine. (4 Viewers)

Alan Dugdales Moustache

What a surprise

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I was in Prague, Czechoslovakia, when USSR tanks rolled through in August 1968. (It was a school exchange trip). I witnessed students and Prague residents hurling abuse (and bricks!) at the tank crews. As I was only 15 at the time, I wasn't too worried. It wasn't until we got back to Heathrow and tv camera crews were interviewing other passengers, that I fully realised the extent of the invasion. Scary time. Never forgotten it. Had to have out trip shortened as well!

oakey

I was in Prague, Czechoslovakia, when USSR tanks rolled through in August 1968. (It was a school exchange trip). I witnessed students and Prague residents hurling abuse (and bricks!) at the tank crews. As I was only 15 at the time, I wasn't too worried. It wasn't until we got back to Heathrow and tv camera crews were interviewing other passengers, that I fully realised the extent of the invasion. Scary time. Never forgotten it. Had to have out trip shortened as well!
Love to see the Risk assessment for that school trip!

Brighton Sky Blue

giphy.gif

Alan Dugdales Moustache

What's their beef about?
He doesn't want Ukraine joining NATO.
His problem is once he's taken all of Ukraine, he'll have a NATO country on his border. If he threatens that country it'll ramp up the chances of a war. Economic sanctions alone won't likely be enough. On their own they look weak.

Last edited:

tisza

What's their beef about?
Host of issues under the guise of Ukrainian NATO membership.
Putin running unchecked in his country - nobody says no to him.
Has played fast and loose with Russian democracy to keep himself in power for foreseeable future.
Amassed a vast fortune for himself and his inner circle.
Wants Russia to be feared and acknowledged as it was back in the day. Hence getting involved in many regional conflicts always on the other side to the "west". Use of the Wagner group to spread influence reminiscent of Cuba exporting mercenaries everywhere.

Also frustrated that China ( a neighbour) will dwarf his economy and military in next few years.

Also a theory is that the "west" is perceived as weak. Lack of military development in EU states, unwillingness to contribute to NATO, US pull out of Afghanistan when subsequent events were blatantly obvious.

Obsessive ramping up of Russian arms development.

How the rest of the world reacts to Ukrainian invasion will determine whether he does make moves on the Baltic States. For Russians this rhetoric of no-one getting involved militarily but use of sanctions is seen as a form of weakness.

We pulled out of Ukrainian farming business last year because of COVID ( lack of travel meant we getting robbed blind) and because this situation always seemed inevitable. Was some land couldn't be used because it was too close to the unofficial border and snipers everywhere.

Here in Hungary troops and reserves been mobilized yesterday and sent to borders to help refugees and defend territory if need be.

Brighton Sky Blue

Ramps it up a bit in your mind. Saw some massive convoys of troops, armoured vehicles on lorries, ambulances etc. go past me today on the way to the border.

Orban should remember the time when his own countrymen fled across borders from Soviet tanks and perhaps reconsider his stance.

tisza

Orban should remember the time when his own countrymen fled across borders from Soviet tanks and perhaps reconsider his stance.
For all his games with the EU and cosying up to Putin to wind up the EU Orbán is well aware of the sensitivity of Hungarians to Russian expansionism. 1956 is ingrained in the Hungarian consciousness as well as other memories of Soviet occupation. Bullet holes are deliberately left in a lot of old buildings in Budapest as a constant living reminder.
Also in other East European states fears are based on comparatively recent history. Make no mistake all will be asking for increased NATO presence in their countries ( if Putin does try and take all of Ukraine) - particularly the Baltic States.
It's one thing for Eastern European countries to have various ties to Russia but that is only when Russia is not physically on the doorstep. Also a sizeable ethnic Hungarian population in Ukraine which he has always courted.
Also a general election here in April so whether he personally likes it or not he's not going to soft stepping around this one for now.

CCFCSteve

Things escalating. Putin sounds deranged.

Ive just been reading what’s been happening and was going to post the same. He’s lost it. Not sure any sanctions will change anything short term but I hope we deliver as much economic pain as
possible to try to get him to rethink. I also hope the people of Russia are seeing/hearing the truth about this because Putins just spouting absolute nonsense with excuses and justifications changing by the day.

I watched Winter on fire - Ukraines fight for freedom (Netflix) last night. The Ukrainian people are made of strong stuff. Let’s hope and pray they can protect themselves.

David O'Day

For all his games with the EU and cosying up to Putin to wind up the EU Orbán is well aware of the sensitivity of Hungarians to Russian expansionism. 1956 is ingrained in the Hungarian consciousness as well as other memories of Soviet occupation. Bullet holes are deliberately left in a lot of old buildings in Budapest as a constant living reminder.
Also in other East European states fears are based on comparatively recent history. Make no mistake all will be asking for increased NATO presence in their countries ( if Putin does try and take all of Ukraine) - particularly the Baltic States.
It's one thing for Eastern European countries to have various ties to Russia but that is only when Russia is not physically on the doorstep. Also a sizeable ethnic Hungarian population in Ukraine which he has always courted.
Also a general election here in April so whether he personally likes it or not he's not going to soft stepping around this one for now.

Pretty much this

Sky Blue Pete

Ive just been reading what’s been happening and was going to post the same. He’s lost it. Not sure any sanctions will change anything short term but I hope we deliver as much economic pain as
possible to try to get him to rethink. I also hope the people of Russia are seeing/hearing the truth about this because Putins just spouting absolute nonsense with excuses and justifications changing by the day.

I watched Winter on fire - Ukraines fight for freedom (Netflix) last night. The Ukrainian people are made of strong stuff. Let’s hope and pray they can protect themselves.
Let’s be clear the Russian people will not be seeing or hearing the truth

Users who are viewing this thread