VAR tonight (3 Viewers)

Otis

Here's a perfect example of how VAR should be used and would work.

Wolves v Man City and the Wolves player handball's the ball into the net. No-one sees it, not the ref, linesman or the players. VAR would have quickly corrected that error.

Last edited:

pastythegreat

Here's a perfect example of how VAR should be used and would work.

Wolves v Man City and the Wolves player handballs the ball into the net. No-one sees it, no the ref, linesman or the players. VAR would have quickly corrected that error.
I think he was offside too tbf.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Otis

Don't understand the decision making with VAR sometimes.

Carling Cup tonight, Man City v Burton. Burton defender clearly kicks Man City's Jesus inside the penalty area.

Goes to VAR and nothing given.

speedie87

Don't understand the decision making with VAR sometimes.

Carling Cup tonight, Man City v Burton. Burton defender clearly kicks Man City's Jesus inside the penalty area.

Goes to VAR and nothing given.

That was never a pen!

Otis

Why?

He kicked the player in the box. Nowhere near the ball. That's a foul and therefore a pen.

Covstu

It was absolute nonsense, took 10 mins to sort and took the players back to the centre spot and it was mm rather than feet (or one foot!). Certainly wasn’t questionable at the time and a farce to be honest.

lifeskyblue

This is a tweet from Danny Baker (#prodnose) and I totally agree. VAR ruins games and the spectacle of football.

Offside, like hand ball, is now purely a television construct. TV used to cover games. A guest at a live event. Now it dominates, demands & bullies. Fuck off TV. Game on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Covstu

This is a tweet from Danny Baker (#prodnose) and I totally agree. VAR ruins games and the spectacle of football.

Offside, like hand ball, is now purely a television construct. TV used to cover games. A guest at a live event. Now it dominates, demands & bullies. Fuck off TV. Game on.

About right

Otis

I have no problem with VAR as I have said many times. But it has to be used correctly.

If that was a crystal clear offside last night, then fine , but it wasn't. Not by a long chalk.

lifeskyblue

I have no problem with VAR as I have said many times. But it has to be used correctly.

If that was a crystal clear offside last night, then fine , but it wasn't. Not by a long chalk.

The problem is once you start using the technology you have to get the decision right but it is all about opinion. Using technology last night meant a perfectly good goal (to the naked eye) was disallowed. Once VAR was bought in, it was chalked off because (again rightly in my opinion) the derby player was a millimetre or two offside. But take the action forward or back by a frame or two the decision might be different. You cannot go on to blame officials for using technology to get a decision correct by the letter of the law.

Covstu

Personally I hate it, the disallowed goal wasn’t an obvious and clear issue but equally they went to VAR on all other goals, why? So now players and fans don’t know whether to cheers, celebrate, stop playing until th reef gives the green light, it’s bollocks

ccfchoi87

The problem is once you start using the technology you have to get the decision right but it is all about opinion. Using technology last night meant a perfectly good goal (to the naked eye) was disallowed. Once VAR was bought in, it was chalked off because (again rightly in my opinion) the derby player was a millimetre or two offside. But take the action forward or back by a frame or two the decision might be different. You cannot go on to blame officials for using technology to get a decision correct by the letter of the law.

The clear and obvious thing is weird. You're either offside or you're not, same as the ball either crosses the line or it doesn't. There was no ambiguity in the Derby goal, it was offside.

Paul Anthony

This is how far offside Milner was for Liverpool's opening goal tonight. I don't quite understand how the linesman managed not to give offside.

Attachments

• 20190204_202349.jpg
    20190204_202349.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 20

Paul Anthony

Same linesman then follows up by incorrectly flagging Salah (Clearly onside!) as offside! How on earth is he officiating a Premier League match!?

Attachments

• 20190204_204613.jpg
    20190204_204613.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 12

Paul Anthony

Good job Origi didn't score right at the end...the other linesman getting in on the act too!

vow

Liverpool get away with one, but so did West Ham as Noble holds back Keita as he's trying to mark/follow Antonio before he scores.

ccfchoi87

Not easily.
As we all know to be certain about offside you need to be directly in line so you'd need every centimetre of the touchline to have a camera.

You just need to draw a line across from the Defenders back heel. Every game on TV manages it so I don't see why it would be hard.

speedie87

You just need to draw a line across from the Defenders back heel. Every game on TV manages it so I don't see why it would be hard.

Yeah put what if the defender is leaning and his head is further back

I think the offside rule needs to be changed so it’s based on a players torso like how they do in athletics

chiefdave

Then you draw the line from his head.
Google parallax angles. Comes up in ice hockey, they have cameras on the goal line and above but you can have a puck that clearly looks in on TV but from directly above or directly in line hasn't crossed the goal line.

In practice you're more likely to get it right with a camera than the human eye but you will never competently remove the margin of error.

Users who are viewing this thread