villa after maddison? (1 Viewer)

mark82

Didn't Wilson get injured on New Years Day and was out for 3 months though? He might have gone had he not got injured, no club would sign a player who was out until march. They would much rather wait until the summer and also look at how he recovered from the injury.

I think you're right.

duffer

no it is not harsh, not anymore harsh than the "perilous career". I think the best way to develop his career is to get real time playing time, his best chance of that is with Coventry City. If he wants to take the money as soon as he can, good luck to him. But I won't morn his departure. Davenport really could have had a career if he had stayed at Coventry another season or two...but he didn't listen to more than one persons advice and that is unfortunate.

it depends if Maddison wants to be potentially, and he does only have potential, be a big player here. Or go for the money at a wealthier club as one of many squad players who have far more game time experience.

i accept it is his career not mine.

It is harsh, because I think there's an implicit criticism here that isn't true. Namely that Maddison is just a money-grabbing bastard if he leaves us, uninterested in making it as a footballer. To me that's entirely without nuance - it disregards the fact that he's in a profession where one serious injury means that he's finished, and that chances like these are rare for a player.

Following the money doesn't mean that he doesn't want to make it as a footballer, it just means that he wants to maximise his earning potential whilst he's got the chance to do so (as do we all, I suspect). As a City fan I'd rather he stayed, but I'd understand if he went.

Let me ask another question, what if he does stay here and doesn't make it as a big player? What if he turns out to be like Nouble, talented but frustrating. Would you be happy with us honouring his contract, or would you advocate dropping him into a bomb-squad in that circumstance? It's just that loyalty isn't a two-way street for many fans...

duffer

Wallace, Babb, Gillespie, Paddon, Mortimer, Holmes, Thomas, Thompson, Blockley, Sealey just off the top of my head and then we can start looking at players careers at other clubs.....

A lot of those are a bit before my time, but Babb I remember well. Are you saying that he had a chance to leave us but stayed and thereby improved his career, because I don't recall that?

Hobo

A lot of those are a bit before my time, but Babb I remember well. Are you saying that he had a chance to leave us but stayed and thereby improved his career, because I don't recall that?

The major point is develop your potential, in any career don't get yourself promoted to soon, only move to the next level when you are capable and have the experience.

Hobo

It is harsh, because I think there's an implicit criticism here that isn't true. Namely that Maddison is just a money-grabbing bastard if he leaves us, uninterested in making it as a footballer. To me that's entirely without nuance - it disregards the fact that he's in a profession where one serious injury means that he's finished, and that chances like these are rare for a player.

Following the money doesn't mean that he doesn't want to make it as a footballer, it just means that he wants to maximise his earning potential whilst he's got the chance to do so (as do we all, I suspect). As a City fan I'd rather he stayed, but I'd understand if he went.

Let me ask another question, what if he does stay here and doesn't make it as a big player? What if he turns out to be like Nouble, talented but frustrating. Would you be happy with us honouring his contract, or would you advocate dropping him into a bomb-squad in that circumstance? It's just that loyalty isn't a two-way street for many fans...

i am not implying Maddison is greedy at all, he hasn't left us and cannot control the interest he has courted. My point is he is better to develop here and gain experience rather than sink in a pool of Premiership talent where you will always be secondary to a chequebook. If he is good enough the opportunities will remain and increase with his development.

If he wants to make it as a footballer he needs to choose his moves carefully to advance his career. Do you take a quick hit on wages or do you maximise your career and earnings?

Mowbray was right "he has barely put his boots on he needs to start playing for us first"...he is potential, possibly great potential, but not proven. I think his best chance of development is giving CCFC at least one if not two seasons. He then might be a really good player.

Astute

I like the way that some always make out that if a club comes sniffing around one of our players it means we have to sell them as the player will want to go. This is not true. They could have said no to the Wilson bid. But they wanted some money. We could get a bid for Maddison. They could say no. He is young and on a long contract. But the odds are they would take the money. But in the long run it is costing SISU money getting rid of our best young players for a couple of million each time. Can you imagine this season if we still had Wilson? We would be getting our maps out again to see where we would be going in the Championship in a years time. Our income would be up by 5m a year without the extra tickets sold. But no. It is too late. That boat has sailed. And all the money did was to make up for the Northampton shambles. And whilst we keep selling our better players for a pittance we will be a lower down club.

Sky Blue Harry H

I don't know where this 5 million figure has come from? We'll be lucky to get 1m for him atm. He's not had a full season yet in league 1, only a handful of appearances mostly from the bench. Callum Wilson who had a full season and was the top scorer in league went for 2m so this 5m figure is just fantasy and will never ever happen based on just 'potential'.

Keep the lad, he's still got 3 more years left in his contract and let him develop here and then maybe in a year or 2 if big clubs come knocking we may be able to get 2m+ if he has done well in that time and starting to show his potential.

Like most of what you said, apart from the £1M bit. With the amount of money knocking about in the Prem, due to Sky, if you have the occasional nugget, you've got to sell it in all it's splendour. Remember Carl Cort a few years ago - Wimbledon held out for £5-£7M IIRC - a donkey and a half, and that was decades ago. If we sell Maddison for circa £2M then we really are crap at doing business. We need to big a player up - look at Callum (now £12M in the papers, and who knows what if several big clubs get involved) - a lot here would have scoffed at that 12 months ago. So if and when he does go we really need to have vision beforehand and make sure we have marketed the hell out of him. That said I want to keep him, and hope we get the loan option back for at least long enough to help us out of this division!

Last edited:

JimmyHillsbeard

Wallace, Babb, Gillespie, Paddon, Mortimer, Holmes, Thomas, Thompson, Blockley, Sealey just off the top of my head and then we can start looking at players careers at other clubs.....

Wallace sold to Forest for a million, Babb to Liverpool for £3m, Gillespie to Liverpool, Paddon to Norwich, Mortimer to Vile, Holmes to Spurs, Thomas to Spurs, Thompson to WBA, Blockley to Arsenal, Sealey left for Luton.

The fact is NONE of these players you mention stayed with the club when they had the chance to move on somewhere bigger. Absolutely none. And fans were up in arms about the departure of many of them (Mortimore, Wallace and Garry Thompson in particular). Graham Paddon, by the way, left City after playing five (5) games for ccfc.

Last edited:

Samo

Surely 5 million would just be the first offer though, would have to double that before we gave it any serious thought.

I've not read the whole thread so reading this out of context but where is this 5mil figure coming from? I'm sure you are teasing another poster right? If he goes he'll go for circa 1mil. He is only potential, a player that's not even proved himself in L1.

skybluepm2

If we receive serious bids for him it'll be interesting to see SISU's stance.

I hope for all our sakes that they've learnt their lesson by flogging Wilson for a measly £3m last summer. Yes hindsight is a wonderful thing but they can't catch a cold with this boy. He is potentially worth £10m, or at least he will be in just a couple of seasons time. That's my opinion anyway.

Selling him for a quick buck to pay further pointless legal fees would really set back the good work they've done in bringing in TM. He's signed a long term contract and had so far achieved nothing. If he does go, the 'head turned' notion simply won't wash. Even Fisher and Waggott would struggle to be bullied by an 18 year old.

Samo

If we receive serious bids for him it'll be interesting to see SISU's stance.

I hope for all our sakes that they've learnt their lesson by flogging Wilson for a measly £3m last summer. Yes hindsight is a wonderful thing but they can't catch a cold with this boy. He is potentially worth £10m, or at least he will be in just a couple of seasons time. That's my opinion anyway.

Selling him for a quick buck to pay further pointless legal fees would really set back the good work they've done in bringing in TM. He's signed a long term contract and had so far achieved nothing. If he does go, the 'head turned' notion simply won't wash. Even Fisher and Waggott would struggle to be bullied by an 18 year old.

Trouble is business is business. 1m now is real and in the bank. 10m in 2 years is imaginary. It depends on potential being fulfilled and him not picking up a career threatening injury. 1m now or 10m/nothing in 2years. I know which I would take.

Hobo

Wallace sold to Forest for a million, Babb to Liverpool for £3m, Gillespie to Liverpool, Paddon to Norwich, Mortimer to Vile, Holmes to Spurs, Thomas to Spurs, Thompson to WBA, Blockley to Arsenal, Sealey left for Luton.

The fact is NONE of these players you mention stayed with the club when they had the chance to move on somewhere bigger. Absolutely none. And fans were up in arms about the departure of many of them (Mortimore, Wallace and Garry Thompson in particular). Graham Paddon, by the way, left City after playing five (5) games for ccfc.

But they stayed long enough to learn their trade and there was interest in them prior their transfer

Sky Blue Harry H

Trouble is business is business. 1m now is real and in the bank. 10m in 2 years is imaginary. It depends on potential being fulfilled and him not picking up a career threatening injury. 1m now or 10m/nothing in 2years. I know which I would take.

But if it is a £1M now, how does that take our club forward? Our most valuable asset for £1M? How would we improve the team with that. If Maddison can have a similar impact as Wilson on the team, then success on the pitch generates income through the turnstiles, increased value for the player and excitement for the fans. And promotion would generate greater revenues. I know what I would do.

NorthernWisdom

But if it is a £1M now, how does that take our club forward. Our most valuable asset for £1M. How would we improve the team with that. If Maddison can have a similar impact as Wilson on the team, then success on the pitch generates income through the turnstiles, increased value for the player and excitement for the fans. And promotion would generate greater revenues. I know what I would do.

tbf such things are often easier with hindsight.

Bet we all wish Liverpool had given us the £1mil to make Thomas's transfer permanent. Bet at the time, we were all somewhat less than impressed at the club trying to flog him!

(as it happens I agree with the gamble of keeping him for a season at least and seeing what happens)

JimmyHillsbeard

But they stayed long enough to learn their trade and there was interest in them prior their transfer

Even in that was true - and I simply don't share your memory - we were in the top flight. Now we are in the third division. The parallels you should look at are Wlcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain who played 20-odd and 30-odd games respectively before leaving Southampton

Samo

But if it is a £1M now, how does that take our club forward? Our most valuable asset for
£1M? How would we improve the team with that. If Maddison can have a similar impact as Wilson on the team, then success on the pitch generates income through the turnstiles, increased value for the player and excitement for the fans. And promotion would generate greater revenues. I know what I would do.

I agree.... But would a hedge fund?

pusbccfc

As others have said, he should follow the career path of Callum Wilson. Have a successful year at your home town club, and then move on when you are more mature and ready to make the step up a league.

Who knows, Madderz could fire us to back to back promotions like Southampton and Bournemouth :pointlaugh:

Samo

As others have said, he should follow the career path of Callum Wilson. Have a successful year at your home town club, and then move on when you are more mature
and ready to make the step up a league.

Who knows, Madderz could fire us to back to back promotions like Southampton and Bournemouth :pointlaugh:

No pressure.

Covstar

Like most of what you said, apart from the £1M bit. With the amount of money knocking about in the Prem, due to Sky, if you have the occasional nugget, you've got to sell it in all it's splendour. Remember Carl Cort a few years ago - Wimbledon held out for £5-£7M IIRC - a donkey and a half, and that was decades ago. If we sell Maddison for circa £2M then we really are crap at doing business. We need to big a player up - look at Callum (now £12M in the papers, and who knows what if several big clubs get involved) - a lot here would have scoffed at that 12 months ago. So if and when he does go we really need to have vision beforehand and make sure we have marketed the hell out of him. That said I want to keep him, and hope we get the loan option back for at least long enough to help us out of this division!

The price all depends on how he does once he gets a full season or two under his belt. Right now hes only shown potential in his handful of games without setting the league alight which is why I said we will be lucky to get £1M for him right now. In hindsight, yes we can say Callum Wilson was sold for a bargain but £2M or so at the time was good business for us since he only had 1 good season in League 1. Of course we would have loved to keep him but that sort of money doesn't get waved at us too often. I agree with you in the sense that we need to be more bold in our evaluation for our best players and not just give in on the first offer but it all depends on how the lad develops . 'Potential' can only get you so far but its what you do on the pitch that counts. Obviously Maddison has great potential from what we've seen of him so far but if he knuckles down, works hard, is consistent and grows into one of the best players in the league we really should either A) Do our utmost to keep him at City for as long as we can or B) If we have to sell him, get as much money as possible for him and don't just settle for pennies

ccfc1234

We would get ripped off if we let the lad go now. One good season in the league and his awareness and subsequent value will skyrocket. A 5m payoff and a solid, entertaining end product would be nice

SkyBlue_Bear83

I've not read the whole thread so reading this out of context but where is this 5mil figure coming from? I'm sure you are teasing another poster right? If he goes he'll go for circa 1mil. He is only potential, a player that's not even proved himself in L1.

The OP suggested that is it would take for him to consider selling him, tbh I was only half joking and half serious.

At the moment I'd consider him pretty much unsellable unless we get a ridiculous offer. The money we'd realistically get isn't worth it at this point in time.

edgy

Dont see the hype myself. A good kid with quick feet and vision. Nothing more than that, yet. I seriously doubt we'd get big money for an unproven league one youngster.

Chipfat

Dont see the hype myself. A good kid with quick feet and vision. Nothing more than that, yet. I seriously doubt we'd get big money for an unproven league one youngster.

Prem clubs do not give a toss if he is unproven or not,, they see what you say he has,, young, quick feet and vision,, they will gamble on them things alone..The money in the prem allows players like maddison to be prime targets for scouts who will push the players agent to turn the players head.. Is he the next big thing,, who knows but will a big club gamble yes,, will the player run the risk of not signing a life changing contract that may never come round again....

Lets see if money gets offered what resolve and ambition the club really has....

That's a "NO" from me. Mainly because it's the Villa & we could be in the same division season after next. And it's the Villa. Just let him get some experience under Mowbray firstly. And did I mention "NO" because it's the Villa?

stevefloyd

If bigish money was offered for him his agent would be pushing big time for him to leave, unfortunately at the minute our owners are not in a position because of lower crowds etc etc to be able to refuse serious offers.. no matrer what we think of Sisu they are in business to make money and their board and investors want a return.
If I was Maddison and someone said we will pay you 10 grand a week etc it would be very difficult to turn down so if we do get a big offer for him good luck to the lad.. i as a cov fan would prefer him here to see him play in our colours but unfortunately business is business

LB87ccfc

Can we all calm down, their are numerous clubs looking and will continue looking but for god sake, its newspaper speculation from the Sunday Mirror ( hardly gospel for football transfers).

JimmyHillsbeard

As others have said, he should follow the career path of Callum Wilson. Have a successful year at your home town club, and then move on when you are more mature and ready to make the step up a league.

Quite although we shd remember that Callum Wilson did not have a choice. It was touch and go whether Pressley let go either him or Cody MacDonald, and the manager took a gamble on Wilson (the fact that he was a cheaper option might have been significant). During that breakthrough season where he exceeded all expectations - he also signed a contract extension. Wouldn't be surprised if the negotitations included a discussion of an agreement to let him talk to clubs from a higher division if they met our valuation. My point is that he, sadly, moved on at the first real opportunity and can't be blamed for that.

Chipfat

Can we all calm down, their are numerous clubs looking and will continue looking but for god sake, its newspaper speculation from the Sunday Mirror ( hardly gospel for football transfers).

I think when the phone rings about a player it more than gossip,,to my knowledge the phone call to a club comes after a player has been sounded out. Most players will know whats on offer before calls or bids come in....

LB87ccfc

I think when the phone rings about a player it more than gossip,,to my knowledge the phone call to a club comes after a player has been sounded out. Most players will know whats on offer before calls or bids come in....

Villa are not one of the clubs that have asked about Maddison though as I said newspaper gossip.

Chipfat

Villa are not one of the clubs that have asked about Maddison though as I said newspaper gossip.

Didn't say it was Villa on the phone, i was just posting its now gone past gossip, no matter who is calling....

Last edited:

SkyblueBazza

So just asking like...how can you speak so confidently that The Mirror report is only speculation & equally so confident that the Villa isn't one of the clubs who have asked about him?

PUSB

Users who are viewing this thread