Walsall (Home) Match Thread (1 Viewer)

stupot07

Dont think fitness is an issue. We came out in the first half and didnt stop running for the first 20, played a very high tempo and totally dominated them. Think thats why a few players like murphy were struggling towards the end

If you were to tell a neutral 1 team played a tough game on Saturday and the other's had a weeks rest, they wouldn't have guessed right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

SkyBlue_Bear83

If you were to tell a neutral 1 team played a tough game on Saturday and the other's had a weeks rest, they wouldn't have guessed right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)
If you'd have asked before 70 minutes they would have guessed right.

Just got back. Fair result i think as we sat back too much in the second half.

Talk of it being "all over" is a little premature.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Agreed....The sitting back seemed totally unnecessary to me and our pressing game resulted in far greater possession and more Walsall mistakes.

Can somebody remind me if this started when Cole went off or shortly afterwards?

I would take 4th at this time of the season but cannot help feeling hard done by with some of the draws we have ended up with recently.

Gint11

Fair result in the end. Feels like a defeat because we were winning until 81st minute. We dominated first half, closed down, pushing for a goal and got it. It was like we were drugged at half time, sat off 2nd half and allowed Walsall to play which resulted in the draw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

junglej13

I actually thought Haynes and Phillips had better games than usual, I'm not doubting they can perform at a level, but that level is not strong enough to start in a team chasing automatic promotion.

For someone known for his attacking intent, Haynes was incredibly tentative today, I can't remember him overlapping much. One point in the first half he was motionless when Murphy played an obvious pass for him to run onto.

Phillips worries me with his approach to challenges i.e. gung ho, but his timing is improving. Regardless he is susceptible to diagonal cross field balls.

Sawyers looked average first time, he stood out second half as he was pulling onto the full backs more. Make of that what you will.

Stokes was a class act tonight. If we can get a consistent LB in, then I would be happy with him at CB permanently.

Saturday is an even bigger game now - a real chance to make a statement. The players looked gutted after the game, so let's hope that's motivation for Saturday.

Frustrating game yes, not getting promoted/relegation looming/jump of a bridge time; absolutely not.

Agree with a lot of this. Stokes was excellent tonight (and has been all season in my view). I thought both Phillips and Haynes played well. Joe Cole was very good first half but thought Sawyers for them really looked the part 2nd half. I dont think Walsall will keep hold of him though.

wingy

We showed them far too much respect IMO.
We weren't pressing as a unit and seemed nullified being preoccupied with shape.
This for me left Walsall to feel pretty bloody comfortable on the ball and stroke it around at will.
Something has changed about the way we are playing since we went top of the division.
We are slower at everything we do.
There were two or three sublime passages of play in the first half but the composure to finish was missing.
For all the pace up front the problem still remains that midfield does not support in time for Murphy to have a decent outlet as Arma Is usually surrounded.
I thought Arma's movement and break aways were excellent first half and Fleck like a man possessed.
Two months ago we were creating 30 chances in a game, tonight was 11.

SkyBlue_Bear83

Football is played over 90 not 70 minutes.

Nothing gets past you.

Just pointing out its not as simple as that, just because Walsall finished stronger doesn't make them super fit or us unfit, or that we were more fatigued than them. It was just the way the game flowed. Imo the game changed with the subs, when Cole went off as we lost the control and ball retention he brought to us. I don't think it's a coincidence that when Walsall brought on fresh legs that didn't play Saturday they improved.

How much of our dominance in the first 65 minutes or so was because Walsall had a tough game Saturday whilst we had a rest, rather than our superior quality? No real way to quantify it.

If you asked me over the whole 90 minutes which team looked the most energetic and fresher I would say we did.

stupot07

Agreed....The sitting back seemed totally unnecessary to me and our pressing game resulted in far greater possession and more Walsall mistakes.

Can somebody remind me if this started when Cole went off or shortly afterwards?

I would take 4th at this time of the season but cannot help feeling hard done by with some of the draws we have ended up with recently.

It started before Cole went off. They had started to dominate possession in the second half but we did have a 5 minute flurry. We literally couldn't keep the ball in the last 20-25 mins it was 2-3 passes then lose it, Walsall looked like they had an extra player.

SkyBlue_Bear83

I think you have a point but also got to take into consideration that team are now approaching us differently than why they were earlier in the season. Early season most teams were open against us as they fancied there chances and Armstrong, Murphy and co. were destroying them with the space they left.

Most teams now are coming to the Ricoh and camping in there own half to get a 0-0 and setting out to restrict our chances.

stupot07

We showed them far too much respect IMO.
We weren't pressing as a unit and seemed nullified being preoccupied with shape.
This for me left Walsall to feel pretty bloody comfortable on the ball and stroke it around at will.
Something has changed about the way we are playing since we went top of the division.
We are slower at everything we do.
There were two or three sublime passages of play in the first half but the composure to finish was missing.
For all the pace up front the problem still remains that midfield does not support in time for Murphy to have a decent outlet as Arma Is usually surrounded.
I thought Arma's movement and break aways were excellent first half and Fleck like a man possessed.

Couldn't agree more Wingy. In fact your last point has been the case in general now for the last 8-10 games (with the odd exception).

Gazolba

Also, what does Rubén have to do to get a game?

It's the English manager syndrome. English managers seem to prefer blood and guts to pure skill. I mean why would anyone prefer Fortune to Tudgay?

Otis

Stokes could be out, Martin 6 weeks out, Willis out, Reda out, Lorentszon out and Turner had to be sent back because of injury. Luck hasn't been on our side with defensive injuries this season
We have had no luck at centre back at all.

First we lost Willis, then Reda, then Turner, then Martin. If Stokes becomes another casualty I think we can put it down to a curse.

Really been so unlucky and the thing is, though Stokes has been brilliant at centre back, we have really missed him at left back.

Really hope TM finds this big, strapping centre back he's after.

Last edited:

Covstu

What have had no luck at centre back at all.

First we lost Willis, then Reda, then Turner, then Martin. If Stokes becomes another casualty I think we can put it down to a curse.

Really been so unlucky and the thing is, though Stokes has been brilliant at centre back, we have really missed him at left back.

Really hope TM finds this big, strapping centre back he's after.
yep back 4 is a real issue so we need to rely on the scoring more than you tactic. This was effective in the first half but we just sat too deep in the second. A goal was inevitable

Astute

Walsall have one point from last two games. We have four - think about it.

Not a lot to think about. Just the normal for many City fans. Be pessimistic and if it goes wrong they will say that they told you so. Do well and the comments are forgotten about.

It was like before the startof the season. Some of us trusted TM to bring in the right players. Others berated him for not bringing in players when most other clubs were. Or the few of us that predicted top 6...maybe top two. A few called us delusional. And we seem to be the most content with being top 6 and maybe get top 2. Whereas those that predicted mid table at best are now moaning about too many draws going to cost us a top two finish :D

Otis

Not a lot to think about. Just the normal for many City fans. Be pessimistic and if it goes wrong they will say that they told you so. Do well and the comments are forgotten about.

It was like before the startof the season. Some of us trusted TM to bring in the right players. Others berated him for not bringing in players when most other clubs were. Or the few of us that predicted top 6...maybe top two. A few called us delusional. And we seem to be the most content with being top 6 and maybe get top 2. Whereas those that predicted mid table at best are now moaning about too many draws going to cost us a top two finish :D
Crazy. You would think people are just not enjoying this season, despite the fact that it's our best in many a year.

I'm really enjoying it all and am quite happy about last night. We should have killed the game off, yes, but we looked a class act in that first half, maintained our unbeaten run and Walsall are a good side.

We are still 4th and still in with a great shout, despite some on here writing off our automatic promotion chances with still TWENTY games to go.

I am just totally embracing this season, while others are seemingly increasingly frustrated.

Let's all just enjoy the ride and I am convinced we will at least have a top 6 place and we would have all snapped our hands off at the thought of that pre-season.

Not a bad result at all last night and though a win would be ideal, a draw against Burton wouldn't be the end of the world either. There's 20 games to make up ground, 20!!!

Geez, you'd think the season was almost over the way some are talking.

Let TM strengthen in the January window at least before condemning our chances of top 2.

Hobo

Astute and Otis
You are both right it is a great season and far from over. Being near the top brings a different pressure, you need to try and win every game, which nobody will. But there will be no easy games regardless of their table position. To win last night would have been fantastic but it was equally important for us not to lose. Move on to next game now.

Otis

Astute and Otis
You are both right it is a great season and far from over. Being near the top brings a different pressure, you need to try and win every game, which nobody will. But there will be no easy games regardless of their table position. To win last night would have been fantastic but it was equally important for us not to lose. Move on to next game now.
Exactly. A loss would have been a body blow. A draw was not.

I'm just as confident as I ever was, if not more so.

We have a fantastic chance of top 2 and need to put things in perspective. Look at the back four we're fielding, yet last night we reduced Walsall to barely a chance on goal.

Just wait until TM strengthens. I am very, very buoyant and not at all down. I came away from the game quite happy. A point against one of the best teams in this league and with a makeshift back four.

clint van damme

We have a fantastic chance of top 2 and need to put things in perspective. Look at the back four we're fielding, yet last night we reduced Walsall to barely a chance on goal.

Just wait until TM strengthens. I am very, very buoyant and not at all down. I came away from the game quite happy. A point against one of the best teams in this league and with a makeshift back four.

there isn't a City supporter out there who wouldn't have snapped your hand off if they had been offered our current position in January at the start of the season.

Burton can open up a big gap over the next few weeks but 2nd place is very much up for grabs and we will need a massive decline not to secure a play off place.

Our record against the top 4 or 5 sides is the best it's been for years and this is all despite been on a "bad run".

Yes there are issues but lets have some faith in TM to address them. One of the big factors this year has been the fans positivity, lets not lose that or lose sight of what we have achieved so far.

wingy

Can anyone confirm if RCC saved the one that hit the post?
That's how it appeared to me from the Telegraph stand

Otis

Can anyone confirm if RCC saved the one that hit the post?
That's how it appeared to me from the Telegraph stand
That's what CWR said, both Eakin and Marcus Hall. Both said he pushed the ball on to the post.

Evo1883

Haven't read the thread but my take on the game .
Thought for a good 60/65 minutes we were in total control and probably should have been 2 up but for a great save , how Armstrong made that space to shoot il never know .
Then I don't think we sat back we were getting a bit tired as we had worked extremely hard and Walsall actually unlike most teams in the league have the quality to pin you in for a bit , it was all a bit nerve wracking in the end , they have some good players most notably sawyers , oconnor and Bradshaw and in the end a draw was probably fair on balance though stats say we could've maybe nicked it .
They are the best side we have played in the division this season and a better side than burton IMO , 4 points from these 2 games would be a great return

smileycov

Facebook User
I thought we looked great, especially first half. Cole got tired and we stopped pressing, that allowed them back in the game. We could have scored a 2nd i felt all night we needed it, not that they really threatened. A draw against the current 2nd placed team and one of the better sides, still unbeaten at home in the league. So yes I am happy, would love us to be more ruthless/lucky? in front of goal but I certainly wont complain this season. Its been a joy, i just hope we get the reward TM and this team deserve.

Moff

Totally agree Otis. Still 20 games to go, and all to play for.

skybluepm2

He could have twice as many if he engaged his fucking brain. Games like tonight he's a waste of time.

Don't get why people don't like Phillips, done fuck all wrong tonight. Another young kid we've threw away in the bin already along with Burge and Haynes, shame.

The bin is the best place for all 3 unfortunately. Phillips and Haynes defensively are dreadful. Their goal was always going to come from one of the flanks. Absolutely solid down the middle.

mechaishida

The bin is the best place for all 3 unfortunately. Phillips and Haynes defensively are dreadful. Their goal was always going to come from one of the flanks. Absolutely solid down the middle.

Agree completely. Haynes is not a left back, and Phillips obviously is more of a midfielder in mentality and inclination.

As for Burge, fuck me, we'd be lucky to flog him at a car boot for a tenner.

I thought the back 4 were pretty solid to be fair. I think both wingers left the full backs exposed by wandering into central position frequently (especially O'Brien). I was hoping for 4 points out of these next 2 games so as long as we win on Saturday I'll be happy.

Was nice to watch a match where both teams wanted to play football. Walsall weren't settling for a draw so kept me on edge for a little while!

Still loving this season!

skybluepm2

Agree completely. Haynes is not a left back, and Phillips obviously is more of a midfielder in mentality and inclination.

As for Burge, fuck me, we'd be lucky to flog him at a car boot for a tenner.

Lol @ Burge. I don't want to get on either players back because they are probably suited to the lower end of this league or League 2 but they do stand out like a sore thumb against the other 9 players. Phillips is more erratic and dives in whilst Haynes either stands off or backs off. Gave the ball away or played the wrong ball on numerous occasions last night. Really hope the Swede lives up to expectations, push Stokes back out to left back and bring in a Reda/Turner to play alongside Ricketts. That position really is jinxed for us this season!!

skybluepm2

I thought the back 4 were pretty solid to be fair. I think both wingers left the full backs exposed by wandering into central position frequently (especially O'Brien). I was hoping for 4 points out of these next 2 games so as long as we win on Saturday I'll be happy.

Was nice to watch a match where both teams wanted to play football. Walsall weren't settling for a draw so kept me on edge for a little while!

Still loving this season!

I said to a friend of mine if we had to win one and draw one out of the 2 then it would be to draw with Walsall and then beat Burton to claw back lost ground... That was when we were 1-0 up too.

This season has been fantastic, just want to make the most of it. I fear if we don't go up this year it will all unravel and we'll lose TM plus his right hand man MV which would be disastrous.

Users who are viewing this thread