Wasps and Bees stings (1 Viewer)

H

Huckerby

Howdy

Never really understood what the crack was with Bee stings and Wasp stings. People say that Wasps just stick you for the hell of it because they can sting as many times as they want, but Bees are less likely to because they die?

Well why do they die? And how come Bees are always more aggressive when I've encountered them. Does this mean that if there is a wasp in the room I need to panic? Genuinely don't get it so please shed any light on this that you can.

Also I saw a Wasp the other day dead in the kitchen - where the hell did that come from at this time of year.

Cheers

ccfcway

wrong forum, this should be "off topic", not on the sports one.

Wasps stingers remain intact when they sting, hence why they can sting again. Bee's don't.

Hope that helps

Raggs

Bee stingers generally (not all species) have a barb on the end, this means it gets ripped out of the bee, but the venom keeps getting pumped in. Wasps do not (usually) have a barb, so less venom, but can sting multiple times.

If I had to guess I'd assume that it's down to the normal size of a colony, with wasps tending to be in small groups or solitary, whilst bees are generally communal and don't breed individually, therefore death is less important.

Otis

Howdy

Never really understood what the crack was with Bee stings and Wasp stings. People say that Wasps just stick you for the hell of it because they can sting as many times as they want, but Bees are less likely to because they die?

Well why do they die? And how come Bees are always more aggressive when I've encountered them. Does this mean that if there is a wasp in the room I need to panic? Genuinely don't get it so please shed any light on this that you can.

Also I saw a Wasp the other day dead in the kitchen - where the hell did that come from at this time of year.

Cheers

If bees are more aggressive when you've encountered them then I can only suggest that it is you.

Wasps are usually more aggressive. Bees usually buzz round you for a second or 2 and then fly off. Wasps can constantly be buzzing round you for 20-30 seconds and you end up having to swat them away and then they become much more aggressive.

Oh and we found a wasp in our house last week too.

Block19

Most bees do not have a barbed sting but the honeybee does. The bumble bee does not have a barbed sting and can sting several times. Only the female bee has a stinger and the queen bee only stings other queens.
The wasps getting aggressive tends to be late July onwards as there hive is dying off (only a queen wasp survives winter) and they are starving.
Wasps can rob a weak bee hive to get access to the honey when they are starving, the rugger team is like the insect robbing our home to get access to the money when we are weak.

Otis

Most bees do not have a barbed sting but the honeybee does. The bumble bee does not have a barbed sting and can sting several times. Only the female bee has a stinger and the queen bee only stings other queens.
The wasps getting aggressive tends to be late July onwards as there hive is dying off (only a queen wasp survives winter) and they are starving.
Wasps can rob a weak bee hive to get access to the honey when they are starving, the rugger team is like the insect robbing our home to get access to the money when we are weak.

Is Tim Fisher the honey?

blueflint

If bees are more aggressive when you've encountered them then I can only suggest that it is you.

Wasps are usually more aggressive. Bees usually buzz round you for a second or 2 and then fly off. Wasps can constantly be buzzing round you for 20-30 seconds and you end up having to swat them away and then they become much more aggressive.

Oh and we found a wasp in our house last week too.

was it the same one

Otis

was it the same one

Only if in the dead of night Huckerby broke into my house and put his dead wasp in my house and then resuscitated it to bring it back to life.

He would also of course need to know my name and address, so therefore need to employ a private investigator to obtain this information. That would prove very costly.

So unless Huckerby spent around a thousand pounds, has life giving powers and was determined to hunt me down, I would say, no, not the same wasp.

Block19

Is Tim Fisher the honey?

I would of said Tim fisher is the bee keeper, strips the hive of its only asset and then goes off and can move the hive when ever he wishes. (If move a hive only a short distance away then the bee won't follow)

Users who are viewing this thread