Wasps apply for £6m grant (1 Viewer)

City Nut

So, I've heard from a friend who works for the council that the insects (Nick Eastwood to be precise) have applied for a £6m grant from the council to regenerate the erricson arena.
Stating that they want to hold Judo and Wrestling for the commonwealth games there and afterwards apparently the plan is to generate an extra £1m per year for the local community.
He also says that it has/will be refused but I thought it was definitely worth putting out there.

Grendel

I’m sure they would ask and I’m sure the council would oblige if they could

David O'Day

The commonwealth games events have already been confirmed to be at the ricoh for a while so aren't dependent on a grant.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

City Nut

I’m sure they would ask and I’m sure the council would oblige if they could
Exactly what I said to my source. Hes a council worker but would make an excellent candidate for a councillor. When he told me, at 1st he said they wont get the £6m they've asked for, when I questioned him how much they will get then he changed his tune and said they'll get nothing. Theres nothing in the pot for them to have!

Can see it now.
W**ps: Can we have £6m please so we dont fail.

CCC: Sorry, we cant give you £6m, how about £5m?

W**ps: Ok, Thatll do I suppose.

Telegreaph: W**ps plan MASSIVE £5m regeneration to Arena for sake of deprived City.

Also Telegraph: Amazing council save tax payer £1m by not giving it to w**ps.

Also Telegraph: 5 thing you didnt know about Tim Fishers cleaner and why we want SISU out.

Last edited by a moderator:

David O'Day

Tell that to Nick Eastwood mate. He asked for the grant, not me.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
He may have but it's not to attract the commonwealth games events.

Why would I need to tell anyone? The venues are in the public domain

Peter Billing

The commonwealth games events have already been confirmed to be at the ricoh for a while so aren't dependent on a grant.

Exactly, if true then it's an utterly unacceptable excuse for Wasps to seek taxpayer cash for stadium maintenance they can't afford. I'm sure the press will scrutinise any transaction rigourously..

David O'Day

I hope you're not suggesting Eastwood is sometimes a bit economical with the truth.
The council would also know that commonwealth games events are happening in cov.

I think any grant request will be for basic maintenance

RegTheDonk

How the hell did they get the gig anyway if it's not up to scratch and needs the council to give them £6M?

Terry Gibson's perm

How are they planning to generate the extra million a year? I can’t think the wasps judo team or wrestling team would be a massive follow but it would be good to see them adding more minority sports to the other ones they have.

Terry Gibson's perm

Its just a made up number isn't it. Or is the suggestion that they've been turning business away?!?

They probably said how much could it be worth and somebody plucked a figure out of the air and said somewhere between nothing and a million and Wasps said it’s a million then.

Grendel

Its just a made up number isn't it. Or is the suggestion that they've been turning business away?!?

They have in a sense turned business away as they’ve reduced exhibitions - cancelling some SME exhibitions but this really was as they used to offer stands and such cheap hire fees they must have been losing money

Users who are viewing this thread