Watching football at the Ricoh... (1 Viewer)

ccfc0123

...is a bit shite if we're going to be honest...it's a typical modern day stadium with no atmosphere and no soul...would it be that bad if we built a new stadium? We could still make it modern but give it more of a football feel...get the home fans behind both goals, give one of the stands a West Terrace feel and hopefully make football enjoyable again like it was at Highfield Road....with that being said, if the new stadium is anywhere outside of Coventry the Sisu can get fucked...I'm just saying that maybe, just maybe, it's not as bad an idea as it seems

hill83

Forgetting all this Sisu/golden share bollocks.
I would chop my left leg off for us to ground share at the Butts and turn it into an 18K stadium.

Actually, my right leg.

Covstu

in my view yes it will be terrible, we have a purpose build stadium which has great facilities. SISU have little considerations for the fans in respect to location and Coventry wont be a priority in location. All this aside do we really think they are going to build a new stadium for £30M (or whatever), personally there is no chance of it as they are struggling to make ends meet at present.

SkyBlueRabb5

...is a bit shite if we're going to be honest...it's a typical modern day stadium with no atmosphere and no soul...would it be that bad if we built a new stadium? We could still make it modern but give it more of a football feel...get the home fans behind both goals, give one of the stands a West Terrace feel and hopefully make football enjoyable again like it was at Highfield Road....with that being said, if the new stadium is anywhere outside of Coventry the Sisu can get fecked...I'm just saying that maybe, just maybe, it's not as bad an idea as it seems

Agreed! As long as its in Cov

Covstu

You really think that the council will willingly give them planning permission within Cov boundaries, get real!!!

Otis

I love the Ricoh.

All we need to do is fill it. It's only shit because it is less than half full every week and has no atmosphere as a result.

HR was shit too when only 10,000 were turning up.

Mr T - Sukka!

...is a bit shite if we're going to be honest...it's a typical modern day stadium with no atmosphere and no soul...would it be that bad if we built a new stadium? We could still make it modern but give it more of a football feel...get the home fans behind both goals, give one of the stands a West Terrace feel and hopefully make football enjoyable again like it was at Highfield Road....with that being said, if the new stadium is anywhere outside of Coventry the Sisu can get fucked...I'm just saying that maybe, just maybe, it's not as bad an idea as it seems

The Ricoh is up there with the best grounds in the midlands.

Its the team thats shite! There was no problem with the atmosphere in the JPT Crewe match. The result was crap hence the shite team.

Sucessful teams make "atmosphere and soul" in an arena. We dont have one.

I love the Ricoh.

All we need to do is fill it. It's only shit because it is less than half full every week and has no atmosphere as a result.

The Crewe game was the best atmosphere i've ever heard at a football game, all we need to do is fill it, then it can be even better than Highfield Road

mattylad

...is a bit shite if we're going to be honest...it's a typical modern day stadium with no atmosphere and no soul...would it be that bad if we built a new stadium? We could still make it modern but give it more of a football feel...get the home fans behind both goals, give one of the stands a West Terrace feel and hopefully make football enjoyable again like it was at Highfield Road....with that being said, if the new stadium is anywhere outside of Coventry the Sisu can get fecked...I'm just saying that maybe, just maybe, it's not as bad an idea as it seems

no for me it's the ricoh and CCFC under one company with its incomes supporting as first priority the general maintenance and secondly the football club...that's the way it should always have been...it's a football stadium not a Coventry council piblic swimming baths which is how it's viewed bysome at ACL

Covstu

I love the Ricoh.

spot on! We relate the ricoh to bad times, personally I get goose pimples everytime I drive past it, it looks awesome still.

Not sure why we relate HR to this fantastic atmosphere, this was about 3-4 games a season. The rest were crap attendances..

mattylad

I love the Ricoh.

I still remember less than 2000 in there for a cup game against Wimbledon and it pissed it down on the kop and they brought 20 fans, jed billing got sent off and we lost one nil...less the relegation games still my worst nite at any game

bigfatronssba

So we don't like the Ricoh because its a modern stadium, therefore the solution is to build an even newer stadium.

Think I'm starting to see the floor in your cunning plan.

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
I love the Ricoh.

I quite like the Ricoh as a stadium, but as to filling it? No chance. Even if we ever reach the dizzy heights of top flight football again (sadly,not in my lifetime), I doubt if it will ever be filled to capacity such as teams like Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and others of that ilk. I'm afraid the history of our club seems to be following us around like a black cloud. We will always be an "also ran" type of club, as much as it hurts me to say. I'm a realist, and we are a third division club. Maybe in a couple of seasons we might, just MIGHT get promoted to the championship, but I think we're gonna be languishing in this league for some time to come. The Ricoh is just too big for us at the moment.

bigfatronssba

I quite like the Ricoh as a stadium, but as to filling it? No chance. Even if we ever reach the dizzy heights of top flight football again (sadly,not in my lifetime), I doubt if it will ever be filled to capacity such as teams like Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal and others of that ilk. I'm afraid the history of our club seems to be following us around like a black cloud. We will always be an "also ran" type of club, as much as it hurts me to say. I'm a realist, and we are a third division club. Maybe in a couple of seasons we might, just MIGHT get promoted to the championship, but I think we're gonna be languishing in this league for some time to come. The Ricoh is just too big for us at the moment.

The fact that the Ricoh is too big for us isn't really an issue. How many teams can you name outside of the prem that fill their ground?

A realistic chance of promotion in this league would see 20k plus crowds.

Remember, this season only two teams outside the prem got a 30k+ crowd, Derby & Coventry City.

Steve.B50

I love the Ricoh.

I agree, its a great Staduim and its only because its three quaters empty. The younger supporters will only know one place and i would imagine that if we carried on playing at the Ricoh for another 10 years a lot of us will not know anything differernt.
Although HR was special, it was falling down around us, it needed a lot of money to be spent on it, the parking and location in these modern days was just not good enough.

Lord_Nampil

The fact that the Ricoh is too big for us isn't really an issue. How many teams can you name outside of the prem that fill their ground?

Remember, this season only two teams outside the prem got a 30k+ crowd, Derby & Coventry City.

Brighton, Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds got 30k attendances or above this season as well.

Covstu

Agree Steve, you look at most stadiums inc Leicester, Arsenal, spurs etc they are all based in residential areas with no room for development. They have to moe to construct a bigger stadium, we had no choice but it was HOW we went about it wasn't it Mr Richardson.....

Loughborough Sky Blue

don't get me wrong, I have fond memories of HR, but if you walked down the corridor with the offices in behind the stands, it was fine at the start, but I had to bow my head to continue walking at the other end. There must have been a 2-3 foot difference in the height of the ceiling from one end to the other.

And that is only one of many issues we had at HR. It was falling apart, and the Ricoh is a fantastic stadium, just needs a team worthy of it! All the non city fans I have taken to the Ricoh have been really impressed with it. It looks fantastic, and with decent crowds, would sound fantastic too!

bigfatronssba

Brighton, Sheffield Wednesday and Leeds got 30k attendances or above this season as well.

You right that Brighton and sheff wed did, (Brighton was still less than what we got against Crewe though, which is what I was getting at). Leeds didn't though.

hutch1972

Man citys ground a typical new build as is Derby, Leicester ,Swansea, mk Dons etc etc etc .
The way the stadiums are built is not the issue its how many you get through the gates.
HR, Maine rd,Filbert st,had at least a 100 years of history behind each of them , that is what people remember. It will take decades for any club with a new ground to actually feel truly at home but eventually they will.
As for atmosphere, dont you think Leicester, man c , Derby fans wish they were back at their old grounds ? i'm quite sure they do but it doesn't stop them creating big atmospheres on a regular basis.
HR looked just as grim and sounded just as quiet as the Ricoh on many a season over the years, maybe people just have selective memories.

James Smith

So we don't like the Ricoh because its a modern stadium, therefore the solution is to build an even newer stadium.

Think I'm starting to see the floor in your cunning plan.
I think you mean flaw.

Macca

I love the Ricoh.

I never felt it was shit

torchomatic

Nah, not too fussed the Ricoh. We should never have moved.

James Smith

I love the Ricoh.

Wouldn't go so far as to say sh1t but it did lack the normal atmosphere when it wasn't full.

torchomatic

LIke the Ricoh then? Like any ground that isn't full?

HR was a football ground. The Ricoh is a "complex" with a football pitch.

Wouldn't go so far as to say sh1t but it did lack the normal atmosphere when it wasn't full.

Grendel

Unlike the Ricoh which is really rocking in midweek against Crawley?

tbh444

Ricoh is a god-awful place, barely even in coventry with nothing but corporate crap surrounding it, there was no reason whatsoever to leave HR.

bigfatronssba

Ricoh is a god-awful place, barely even in coventry with nothing but corporate crap surrounding it, there was no reason whatsoever to leave HR.

Yes I dislike the corporate stuff as well.

Much better when we had the Britannia tyres stand, the McDonald's stand, the m&b stand and the Ntl stand.

psgm1

Banned

Let me get this straight - you don't like a modern stadium, so instead you want to support the building of a new modern stadium!

ARE YOU INSANE!!!

It would be an even MORE modern stadium!

priceless fuckwit comment of the millenium!

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern

In your opinion it's not an issue, but I was responding to the original post via a quote by Otis - simply expressing my opinion and keeping to the posts.

Ripbuster

Have fond memories of Highfield road,have a few fond memories of the Ricoh......Neither of the two had/have an Atmosphere when almost empty.

Good times will return with a successful CCFC......Without Sisu (I hope)

Users who are viewing this thread