What happened yesterday (1 Viewer)

TewkesburySkyBlue

I’m just wondering if anyone has any idea why we were so poor yesterday ? Not one for conspiracy theories but that was really weird , everyone except for probably Wilson having a mare.
We all know Robins is a brilliant manager and we have some very talented players but you wouldn’t have guessed it yesterday . Quite unfathomable from my point of view.
Yes Stoke were good but as someone else said hardly Borussia Dortmund.
Id hate to think what would happen if we played like that in the Premier League !!

Samo

I’m just wondering if anyone has any idea why we were so poor yesterday ? Not one for conspiracy theories but that was really weird , everyone except for probably Wilson having a mare.
We all know Robins is a brilliant manager and we have some very talented players but you wouldn’t have guessed it yesterday . Quite unfathomable from my point of view.
Id hate to think what would happen if we played like that in the Premier League !!
We had a bad day, they had a good day = A hiding.
The unbeaten run had to end at some point.

Flying Fokker

What gets me is that the manager talks about the other team being better than his own. That must make the players feel shitter than they actually are. If they play out of their skins and remain above the ‘better’ team I’ll love it…

pusbccfc

There's no conspiracy. They are a good side with a better squad than us who have had a ropey season.

Too many fans expected us to win yesterday because they are below is in the table.

Unfortunately, playing against mid table sides are often the most difficult. Playing with freedom, playing risky passes without fear of fans moaning etc.

I see the same happening against Swansea. Save this post because we're in for a hammering again.

Flying Fokker

Well there was no evidence yesterday to say otherwise.
True, but not The best pep talk for the next game. As mentioned before, he needed to make changes but he was decided he needed to stick it out..Stoke fans had a great day out as both our manager and the players failed to step up to the plate.

pusbccfc

What gets me is that the manager talks about the other team being better than his own. That must make the players feel shitter than they actually are. If they play out of their skins and remain above the ‘better’ team I’ll love it…

Takes the pressure off them.

Brighton Sky Blue

True, but not The best pep talk for the next game. As mentioned before, he needed to make changes but he was decided he needed to stick it out..Stoke fans had a great day out as both the manager and the players failed to step up to the plate.

Well if any of the players feel upset about it they should reflect on their own terrible performances and see it from the manager’s perspective. If our squad weren’t so small most would be getting dropped.

Terry Gibson's perm

I would have said that Wilson was one of the worst and they found his Achilles heal (most things on target beat him).

Londonccfcfan

For the whole team to be so far below par and for Robin's to big up their mentality before the game is to blame.

Still cant fathom why they had over a week off??? Proffesional footballers.

They looked rusty. Did they even have any training sessions? Robin's can answer this. Everyone has the right to be fuming and have some answers. Afraid Tobind answered none. He should have been a pissed off as everyone else.

As usual he brushes it off. I would not have given them the Sunday off! Would get the whole squad in for light training as punishment. Lol

SBAndy

I would not have given them the Sunday off! Would get the whole squad in for light training as punishment. Lol

It’s a strange one. Seem to recall when Clive Woodward was England rugby coach he used to give the players the day off after a defeat to get it out of their system, but if they won then they were in for training. The logic being it’s easier to work in a positive environment.

Old Warwickshire lad

Stoke were a good team, never mind what has been said on here.
They did their homework and put our back 5 under pressure from the off.
We couldn’t cope with the press,they also let the full backs push on and were happy to go 2 on 2 at the back.
They simply overwhelmed us.
And they had some exceptionally good players.

long way home

I don't think MR will be dwelling on the result to much, as that sort of thing can happen during a season. What i think he will look at is why that performance happened, he will analyze the game and try pinpoint the cause and take a week to rectify what he thinks is the issue. From that point I would imagine the staff will talk to the players keeping it brief and closely observe the reaction of the players even get feed back from them. MR will be able to get a few things very clear in his head about what he has and how certain players react to adversity or expectation.

The players then need to show a positive reaction and to show they can handle and perform under pressure. The staff and players have set targets this season, that should not be an anchor on the players. I thought we played with negative fear yesterday that created such a disjointed performance, we were playing with scrambled minds which is not going to create good outcomes in anything you do.

We will see if Stoke was a one off soon enough. I just hope we have put all our bad individual performances together in 1 game. And we get our heads right and the players except the expectations on them at the club. Players will sink or swim under this expectation, either way MR will know who he can rely on to perform and see improvement in other with the experienced gained. Bad result, bad performance but maybe now with clear heads we take each game as it comes, go on another run. Play offs or not we are making big strides on and off the pitch which in the big picture is great. 1 result is not going define the season, we have again over achieved which is great.

Last edited:

robbiethemole

The comments on here mirror those on Blackpools site two weeks ago. It was a hard watch and we looked well off the pace but I don’t think they are any better players than ours, just used the ball better. Why did we play long ball most of the game, did they press that well?

Peter Billing

They had a good game plan, pressed very aggressively our back 3, forced us into mistakes and to go long, which their centre backs dealt with comfortably. We badly missed someone in the no. 10 role, O'Hare/Palmer/Allen would have linked play, we'd have exposed their centre backs and it would have been much more open, Robins tried to address it but a big ask for Ryan Howley to make an impact.

hinckley cov

They pressed us from the start and for some reason looked a lot fitter than us , plus they have some really good player and that bald bloke in midfield run the game , best player on the pitch

clint van damme

They pressed us from the start and for some reason looked a lot fitter than us , plus they have some really good player and that bald bloke in midfield run the game , best player on the pitch

Smallbone, great name.
Though stick a hyphen between small and bone and he instantly becomes a dick.
Fine margins.

Calista

My best explanation is that after our terrible start to the season we had to knuckle down, keep our feet on the ground and try to prove our Championship credentials in every match. But all last week the talk was about marching into the playoffs, which was premature and over the top. The hype was counter-productive because it looked like a couple of the players froze a bit, and when the early goal went in the jitters spread throughout the team and into the crowd. Playing with an unfamiliar shape which left the two strikers isolated didn’t help (even if it worked fine against a poor side the week before).

Robins seems very level-headed, and now’s the time for him to show his management and motivational skills.

olderskyblue

Our habit of poor passes put us under lots of pressure, and our passing 1st half yesterday was as bad as I’ve seen us, plus having Godden on, meant we were a man short in midfield, against a pretty good team.

steve101

It was bizarre from the start. Bidwell flying in with a reckless tackle within minutes of the start. What was that all about?

Paxman II

Stoke are not a better side than us. They have languished in the lower end of the table all season. The table never lies. They were better on the day. They had a new manager, new ideas and a refresh. That has produced some good results recently. However, we were completely out of sorts from kick off which gave Stoke a helping hand. They got their tactics right. A tired Vik back from International duty still dreaming of his goal and assist was ineffective.
When Stoke got the first goal we just got progressively worse - passing, tackling, movement, out of position....you name it, it all went a bit tits up no matter how hard we tried. Conversely whatever Stoke did it seemed to pay off. An offside goal, a goal against the run of play etc. It was by contrast similar to the Blackpool game but the other way round. I expect Stoke to finish strongly now. They have beleif again.
Hopefully this was our shit day of the season. Other results did us great favour so re-focus, get heads together and make that playoff run!

jeycov

Stoke are not a better side than us. They have languished in the lower end of the table all season. The table never lies. They were better on the day. They had a new manager, new ideas and a refresh. That has produced some good results recently. However, we were completely out of sorts from kick off which gave Stoke a helping hand. They got their tactics right. A tired Vik back from International duty still dreaming of his goal and assist was ineffective.
When Stoke got the first goal we just got progressively worse - passing, tackling, movement, out of position....you name it, it all went a bit tits up no matter how hard we tried. Conversely whatever Stoke did it seemed to pay off. An offside goal, a goal against the run of play etc. It was by contrast similar to the Blackpool game but the other way round. I expect Stoke to finish strongly now. They have beleif again.
Hopefully this was our shit day of the season. Other results did us great favour so re-focus, get heads together and make that playoff run!

The goal wasn’t offside, Campbell was in his own half

Users who are viewing this thread