Whatever happened to free kicks? (1 Viewer)

Johhny Blue

Burton's second goal last weekend reminded me of Real football in the '70s when the choice was often to take a quick free kick while your opponents were still arguing the toss about the decision. Now players have to wait for the ref to go through his shaving cream routine and make sure everyone has time to cover their balls. Does anyone else miss that? Fair play to Burton for making it work.

While I'm on a nostalgic rant another observation is that we never see Foul throws punished anymore. Anything from gaining 10-20 yds (Very common) to feet off the ground or ball not going behind the head etc etc etc.....

Otis

Burton's second goal last weekend reminded me of Real football in the '70s when the choice was often to take a quick free kick while your opponents were still arguing the toss about the decision. Now players have to wait for the ref to go through his shaving cream routine and make sure everyone has time to cover their balls. Does anyone else miss that? Fair play to Burton for making it work.

While I'm on a nostalgic rant another observation is that we never see Foul throws punished anymore. Anything from gaining 10-20 yds (Very common) to feet off the ground or ball not going behind the head etc etc etc.....
Plenty of stuff to rant about as well as stealing yards at free kicks and throwing the ball in incorrectly.

The calling for yellow cards to be brandished by players is something I hate. Anyone who starts waving their hand around calling for a yellow card should be yellow carded themselves. Unsportsmanlike conduct.

Thing is, it is simple. Make it like rugby and only have the captain allowed to talk to the ref. Stop the surrounding of the ref by a mob of players.

I also dislike the kicking the ball away or the preventing of a player reaching the ball when it's a free kick.

Lots of really annoying things that could be cleared up.

Most players try and gain a few yards for throw-ins and also when it is a free kick, invariably a player will give the ball a little flick forwards to gain a yard or so there.

Most of all I now hate corners, where it seems to be a free for all in the shirt pulling and blocking stakes. It is now got to a ridiculous stage. Again this could be sorted very easily.

There's a lot that's still very frustrating in the game for sure.

Last edited:

Gazolba

My pet peeve is players who pick the ball up to take a throw-in and then hand it to someone else. I think we need a rule that the first player to touch the ball after it goes out must be the one to take the throw in.

Johhny Blue

I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing these issues. As a player I would often place the ball for a corner knowing full well it went out for a throw and got away with it a couple of times.
When I moved to Canada the reffing standard was a lot lower than I was used to and once in a provincial final we got away with kicking off both halves. I guess it's do as I say not as I do.

Otis

what happened to obstuction?
Yeah, good point.

I always used to remember on the commentary them saying stuff like 'Now is this a direct, or indirect free kick? Ah the ref has said indirect.'

You always used to think to yourself it was a pity when you couldn't have a shot on goal.

Now every free kick seems to be direct.

konjickid

My only memory of indirect/direct free kicks is school football! The only rule of it I can remember is a free kick as a result of someone being offside is indirect. That is to say if someone scored from this, it would have to be retaken, and with the standard of goalkeepers I was playing at - this could happen!!

skybluesam66

the going off rule after treatment - when somebody has been truly hacked down by the opposition
The player committing the foul stays on, but the person who is hacked down goes off

Sky Blue Pete

My only memory of indirect/direct free kicks is school football! The only rule of it I can remember is a free kick as a result of someone being offside is indirect. That is to say if someone scored from this, it would have to be retaken, and with the standard of goalkeepers I was playing at - this could happen!!
Not quite. It would be a goal kick if that happened

Terry Gibson's perm

Goalkeepers wasting time I thought it was six seconds not twenty they could hold the ball for.
Again goalkeepers get rid if this kick it from either side rule make them kick it from the side it went out and give them a time limit any time wasting is a direct free kick in the position of your choice, as booking them is a waste of time as no goalkeeper has been sent off for two cases of time wasting.

Substiutions should take no more than ten seconds none of this running away from the dug out and than shaking everybody's hand on the way there, if you don't get the new bloke on in time the game starts and if he is out of position bad luck.

Off field time keeper as the ref has enough to do already.

Pipehitterz

i'd like to see bad fouls, the professional type, like madders has had on him every game hes been back, dealt with a straight red

like when a player is on the surge through midfield and a slow player thats just been skinned alive hoofs him down

thats just poor sportsmanship, thats red card surely?

Sky Blue Pete

Goalkeepers wasting time I thought it was six seconds not twenty they could hold the ball for.
Again goalkeepers get rid if this kick it from either side rule make them kick it from the side it went out and give them a time limit any time wasting is a direct free kick in the position of your choice, as booking them is a waste of time as no goalkeeper has been sent off for two cases of time wasting.

Substiutions should take no more than ten seconds none of this running away from the dug out and than shaking everybody's hand on the way there, if you don't get the new bloke on in time the game starts and if he is out of position bad luck.

Off field time keeper as the ref has enough to do already.

Again there is no 6 second rule in place for keepers to clear the ball

Nick

Administrator
again there is no 6 second rule in place for keepers to clear the ball

indirect free kickan indirect free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a goalkeeper, inside his own penalty area, commits any of the following four offences:

• controls the ball with his hands for more than six seconds before releasing it from his possession
  • touches the ball again with his hands after he has released it from his possession and before it has touched another player
  • touches the ball with his hands after it has been deliberately kicked to him by a team-mate
  • touches the ball with his hands after he has received it directly from a throw-in taken by a team-mate

WestEndAgro

Quite often players are blatantly cleaned out just after taking a shot on goal, by a desperately late lunging tackle and nothing is awarded, where if this challenge took place anywhere else on the pitch it would be penalised why?

skybluesam66

i'd like to see bad fouls, the professional type, like madders has had on him every game hes been back, dealt with a straight red

like when a player is on the surge through midfield and a slow player thats just been skinned alive hoofs him down

thats just poor sportsmanship, thats red card surely?

fleck and JOB would have also taken a few reds for that

Sky Blue Pete

Can't find the emoticon for tail between my legs. Sorry! Thanks nick I think. Learn to check facts rather than trust your refereeing memory. I once gave an indirect free kick against a keeper walking around his box as I misunderstood the 'under control' part of the law. Lots of frustrated players!!!

shmmeee

Throw ins that don't go behind the head and stealing yards are the two that piss me off that just aren't caught.

But high feet is the rule I hate - the game is football, along with "shepherding the ball" - it's just obstruction if you have no intention of playing the ball.

Users who are viewing this thread