Who is good enough next season? (1 Viewer)

Macca

My biggest issue is that everything we do is awkwardly slow. Hopefully the lad from Peterborough may help with that. One thing I noticed with both Preston and Baggies was how quickly they moved defence into attack. Frankly we are ponderous at best

Brighton Sky Blue

Do you really believe Simms can become a £100m Premiership player with a bit of coaching? Because some other really talented guy likely will?
Vik had the attributes but also a relentless drive to improve himself and a ruthlessness that sometimes pissed off his teammates. You can’t give someone the latter, they need to have it already.

Flying Fokker

My biggest issue is that everything we do is awkwardly slow. Hopefully the lad from Peterborough may help with that. One thing I noticed with both Preston and Baggies was how quickly they moved defence into attack. Frankly we are ponderous at best
Good point. i Wonder if other clubs fans think that about their players? We’ve certainly done it at times this season. The end result has usually been fired into the stands Or fluffed.

Macca

Good point. i Wonder if other clubs fans think that about their players? We’ve certainly done it at times this season. The end result has usually been fired into the stands Or fluffed.

It’s fine margins isn’t it? I mean it’s just a yard, a split second but we often seem second to everything. With the injuries and tiredness you wonder about fitness and nutrition

Flying Fokker

If we don't win six more games I'll be disappointed with how the season finishes. I'd still be excited for next season, though.
I’m looking forward to it already. All the new players we are selecting for Robins. Weve been hit and miss since January. I hope we win a few and give the fans something to shout about.

messiahrobins

Collins - Number 2 for me
Wilson - get rid to anyone
Moore - He will be gone
MVE - needs to sort his shit out
Burroughs - I think theres a player there
Thomas - in the air hes Maldini. On the floor he's sometimes Kevin Malaga
Kitching - good player
Latibeaudiere- jack of all trades. Master of none
Binks - cant see him staying
Bidwell - will be off and i dont see why
DaSilva - shite
Torp - good player
Sheaf - best player
Eccles - just never seems to push on does he? Fine as a squad player
Kelly - will be gone
Allen - will be gone
O'Hare - will be gone but id let him rot now the leagues over. Try get your prem move now ballbag
Palmer - one minute hes messi, the next hes just messy
Tats - fantastic player
EMC - Great rep lets see
Wright - i still think he will be a very good player for us and he's a lot better than Simms
Godden - Will be gone
Simms - utter dross, stealing a living
Tavares - will be gone

A lot of people are saying we can give it a 'proper go' next season. My response to that is can we? Really? Hence the above. We STILL need major surgery to give it a real go.

For me its crucial that Vik moves on this summer. £12 million could get us the striker, O'Hare replacement and LB we so sorely need

If he doesn't, well. I fail to see whos going to bring us any serious money in from a sale
Pretty much spot on fella. Maybe a tad harsh on Simms albeit i see why you say that but i'm giving him benefit of the doubt for this season, but he will have to improve drastically next season to have been worth the outlay.
Shame about Godden, but he seems to have been too soft regarding online comments and let that get to him. Agree about Ohare, he is obviously angling for a move but his form is suffering, and as he is not going to be a part of the club, no need to play him. Best to plan for life without him.
We are a upper mid table championship side, and looking at Doug King's reluctance to spend money (he is actually sitting on a profit of about 10 million from last summer) we are essentially a modern day Crewe from the 90s, i.e develop young players, sell them on for a profit, rinse and repeat but never see the best of these players we develop for a significant period. That is how it will be for the next 5 or so years id think. After where we have been i can live with it tbh.

Old Warwickshire lad

Thats because we like to build everything up from the back. With 15 sideways passes.
Sometimes it just cries out for two quick balls,centre back to midfield.Then killer one slipped through for striker to run onto.
Not the sexy football we seem to want,but very effective. As we have proved on the odd occasion we have done it this season.

messiahrobins

It’s a bit desperate that we already signed 2 strikers, a keeper, a left back and the conclusion is we need a striker, a keeper and a left back….

Ps. Who’s being dropped when EMC comes in?
Think Wright will be sold more i think about it. I like Wright and think he is a top end championship player but not sure he likes it here as his body language doesnt seem that bullish in all honesty. He isnt a striker and i cannot see King being happy with EMC/Wright as squad players. Might be wrong but KIng doesnt strike me as a someone who will sanction 3m plus on players to sit on the bench.

Otis

Why are you saying simms will come good? Based on what?

Wright to be fair to him is a good intelligent player. He needs more consistency but he’s at least a polished complete footballer.

An Everton fan I know laughed when we signed Simms and said he’s lived off the one goal against Chelsea but - in his words not mine - said he’s a dopey c**t - and fans groaned when he came on.
Fine, but Forest fans laughed when we got David McGolddraught, as they called him and they thought he was useless.

Look at Bellamy for us. He just wasn't the same player.

I will give Simms until next season before I cast a full judgement upon him.

Terry Gibson's perm

I would be playing O’Hare every minute he is here and if he breaks down tough luck on him that’s the risk of going out of contract.

Simms seems a very shy type of guy but I think he will be good and has improved over the last few weeks.

We need to be searching for more Scandinavian players as they seem to suit the English game and are normally priced more sensibly.

I can see it being difficult to get rid of Godden in the summer as for some crazy reason we gave him a new deal.

I would still be trying to sign the Huddersfield keeper and a couple of big fuckers from somewhere.

steve101

Why are you saying simms will come good? Based on what?

Wright to be fair to him is a good intelligent player. He needs more consistency but he’s at least a polished complete footballer.

An Everton fan I know laughed when we signed Simms and said he’s lived off the one goal against Chelsea but - in his words not mine - said he’s a dopey c**t - and fans groaned when he came on.
You think Wright is 'a polished complete footballer'? Are you being sarcastic there?

Cally Fedora

If you assume those rumoured to be leaving do I think we need a proper first choice 9 as priority. Simms as squad depth. Next priority is a left back to ensure we don’t rely on Dasilva. I’d then try for two midfielders. One akin to O’Hare and one more like Kelly. If there’s anything left some depth at RB

Skyblue Bangkok

If you assume those rumoured to be leaving do I think we need a proper first choice 9 as priority. Simms as squad depth. Next priority is a left back to ensure we don’t rely on Dasilva. I’d then try for two midfielders. One akin to O’Hare and one more like Kelly. If there’s anything left some depth at RB
A large Khao Soi guia not cooked in coconut milk.

shmmeee

Howley can't get a game in Scotland, he needs to go out on loan again or be moved on. At least Burroughs have played virtually every game he's been available for.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Yeah but we’re talking players making up numbers on the bench during a major injury crisis, not playing week in week out.

skybluecam

Good:

Kitching, Thomas, MVE, Sheaf, Torp, Wright, Sakamoto, EMC?

Passable:

Collins, Bidwell, Lati, Eccles, Palmer, Simms, Burroughs?

Get rid:

Wilson, Moore, Dasilva, Kelly, Godden, Tavares

Leaving anyway:

O’Hare, Binks

We’ll end up keeping some of the get rids though.

SAJ

Moore - He will be gone
Kitching - good player
DaSilva - shite
Torp - good player
Sheaf - best player
Kelly - will be gone
Allen - will be gone
O'Hare - will be gone but id let him rot now the leagues over. Try get your prem move now ballbag
Tats - fantastic player
EMC - Great rep lets see
Wright - i still think he will be a very good player for us and he's a lot better than Simms
Godden - Will be gone
Tavares - will be gone

A lot of people are saying we can give it a 'proper go' next season. My response to that is can we? Really? Hence the above. We STILL need major surgery to give it a real go.

For me its crucial that Vik moves on this summer. £12 million could get us the striker, O'Hare replacement and LB we so sorely need

If he doesn't, well. I fail to see whos going to bring us any serious money in from a sale
Yet another over reaction

SkyBlue_Bear83

There is no way that two players who we’ve signed for £3 million and £7 million respectively should be “squad players”. The same applies to Kitching too.
No of course not but based on there performances this season that is where I would have them at this point in time.

Massive Summer coming up really as lots of work to do with Simms and Wright to get them up to the level required to push for the premier league.

Torquay Sky Blue

I'll focus on recruitment as we all thought we'd bought a pile shit at the start.
For me it's still mostly shit but 6 out of 10 not bad
Kitching Good
Tats Good
Torp Good
Wright Still not sure
MVE Still not sure
Lati Still not sure
Collins Poor
Thomas Poor
Dasilva Shit
Simms Shit

Hertsccfc

I think we seriously need someone up front who can hold the ball up when we have to go long.
That's been our biggest weakness all season. Gyokeres was brilliant at it but now the ball usually just comes back which means we are under so much more pressure.

2024/25 League 1 Champs?

Moore - He will be gone
Kitching - good player
DaSilva - shite
Torp - good player
Sheaf - best player
Kelly - will be gone
Allen - will be gone
Tats - fantastic player
EMC - Great rep lets see
Godden - Will be gone
Tavares - will be gone

I can’t see anything here I would disagree with, other than maybe Eccles had has his chances but hasn’t shown he’s good enough, and that if somebody could coach some passion, aggression, anger or something like that into Simms he would be a half decent player - just doesn’t seem to give a shit, even in interviews it’s like he’s lost, or stoned or something

and as for MVE, agreed but also he’s a completely different player with a decent right winger in front of him too, if we sort our shit out and actually bring in some decent talent next season I think he’ll fly in a good team

Otis

Kitching Good
Tats Good
Torp Good
Wright Still not sure
MVE Still not sure
Lati Still not sure
Collins Poor
Thomas Poor
Dasilva Shit
Simms Shit
From what I've seen ...

Kitching -Good

Thomas - Good

Believe both of those will come good for us together as a unit and be quite a force next season.

Sakamoto - Good

Torp - Very good

Wright - Decent enough

MVE - Unsure. Sometimes he looks class and at others times, not at all.

Lati - Looks rather average to me thus far. Needs to produce more.

Collins - Okay, but I think we need better

Dasilva - Don't think he is bad. Just a bit of a liability at left back. Has to play further up the field.

Simms - Done okay. Hopefully we will see the best of him next year

I don't think anyone is terrible. I really don't.

Reactions: AOM

Boicey

Who would a top 6 Championship side want to buy from us?
Sakamoto, Sheaf, (COH). Maybe Torp in a while.
That’s about it. We lack quality.

Alan Dugdales Moustache

Spot on.

Winny the Bish

This annoyed me a lot last night. West Brom did the same thing at nearly every goal kick, 3 quick passes between Mowatt and the defenders that left Fellows in space to attack our defence. Carved through us multiple times. Never seen us do something like that once.

Otis

I don't remember when we played Luton in the playoff final, that anyone was saying they had much better players than us before the game. One or two yes, but overall, no. They just had decent players in every position pretty much.

I think you only need 4 or 5 top, top players and then a number of decent ones around them.

Also remember last year, at times, some were saying that if we could have brought in another couple of top players to support Hamer and Gyokeres, we would have had a much better chance.

Torp and Sheaf could well be one of the best midfield pairings in the Championship next year and I think Kitching and Thomas will be pretty solid at the back.

With Sakamoto back and then Mason-Clark added, it should look a much better squad.

The one major loss looks like it will be O'Hare.

Eccles is very decent at this level and MVE should hopefully be stronger too.

Just need another striker to support Simms and Wright

JohnWH

I don't know anything about the actual coaching staff. It's felt like City have had a really good track of improving players over the last 5 years or so. Robins doesn't do that singlehandedly for 20+ players. Has there been a staff shake up, or needs a shake up, or reviewing the training regimen for improvements?

Winny the Bish

For me:

GK: Collins | New GK
RB: MVE | New RB
RCB: Thomas | New CB
LCB: Kitching | New CB
LB: New LB | Bidwell
CM: Sheaf | Eccles
CM: Torp | New CM
RW: Saka | New RW
AM: New AM | Palmer
LW: EMC | New LW
ST: Wright | Simms

That's 9 new players.

2 (AM/LB) are starters and need serious money spending on them.
2 (RCB, RW) are in positions where they can properly challenge for a starting spot and should be 1st team quality.
5 (GK/RB/LCB/CM/LW) are proper backups as the starters are good enough IMO so can take gambles on youngsters & loans.

This doesn't take into account versatile squad players like Lati, Burroughs, or the youngsters who've made squads this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSL

Users who are viewing this thread