Why isn't Townsend going to the Euros? (1 Viewer)

He should have gone, best winger for England in years and picked up goals at Newcastle. Why did Hodgson not pick him?

Oh wait I know, he likes Wilshire more as he plays at a "big club". Needs to grow up and stop thinking crap players play at crap teams proved by Armstrong playing at cov and Defoe at Sunderland

ajsccfc

Wilshere's a better and very different player, he's irrelevant to Townsend being called up.

ajsccfc

Because it's not a reward for good attendance, it's a squad with the best players. Wilshere was England's best player for a number of qualifiers so Hodgson knows what he can do. I'd have taken Towsend over Henderson, but I'd have only left Wilshere out if he fell apart before the deadline.

Sterling's the only player in the squad who performs as a pure winger, but it's not a role that Hodgson tends to use. Lallana, Rooney and Sturridge are all candidates for the same spot that Sterling will play.

Because it's not a reward for good attendance, it's a squad with the best players. Wilshere was England's best player for a number of qualifiers so Hodgson knows what he can do. I'd have taken Towsend over Henderson, but I'd have only left Wilshere out if he fell apart before the deadline.

Sterling's the only player in the squad who performs as a pure winger, but it's not a role that Hodgson tends to use. Lallana, Rooney and Sturridge are all candidates for the same spot that Sterling will play.

Agreed with Townsend better choice then Henderson. Sturridge has a slight injury still and hasn't traained with the team in a while and probably won't be fit until after the group stages, Rooney isn't a winger not enough pace or crossing and never played as a winger before to risky and lallana I think is to slow and better suited as a CAM

ajsccfc

We don't play using actual wingers, Sterling plays more centrally with England than he does at club level. England are likely to swap between a diamond midfield or three upfront but not a flat midfield.

ajsccfc

Same kind of thing really, they're more support strikers so don't huge the touchline as much. Clyne/Walker and Rose/Bertrand are the only true wide players for England.

Still don't get why sturridge got called up he'll only be fit after the group stages and that's if we get past it. Could have used Walcott instead as he's fit and can play as a winger if needed and CAM, Wickham as he has strength and pace, Defoe got 14 goals 3rd best goals for a English stricker this season has pace and strength, deeney good in air and strength, Carroll good In air

skybluegod

Still don't get why sturridge got called up he'll only be fit after the group stages and that's if we get past it. Could have used Walcott instead as he's fit and can play as a winger if needed and CAM, Wickham as he has strength and pace, Defoe got 14 goals 3rd best goals for a English stricker this season has pace and strength, deeney good in air and strength, Carroll good In air

Firstly where have you got your information on Sturridge? He had a minor calf strain, but has trained since Monday, as is likely to at least play some part tonight. He will be for the first group game.
Walcott, isn't good enough, he misses too chances and doesn't deserve to go.
While I agree with the principle of Form over name, Drinkwater is nothing special, and while yes he was part of a successful Leicester side, Kante was the difference in midfield. Drinkwater had a good season, but Wilshere is one of our most important players, and he is a player that can have an impact on the big stage. Drinkwater, would be as big a risk as Rashford almost, he has 3 caps.
I like Townsend and would have preferred to see him go ahead of sterling, but I agree with Townsend not being picked on the premise that we almost certainly won't play wingers. Although Sterling can fill a number of positions I wouldn't have picked him as he's out of form, and I don't see much use for him considering he is the only winger?
Wickham, doesn't deserve as space as he hasn't scored enough, and if anything Kane is a slightly less bulkier but more skilled version of him.
While I agreed on Defoe before, Rashford, was brilliant the other night, although yes against poor opposition, but he also shone against Crystal Palace before injury and deserves his spot.
Deeney and Carroll come off it.

Firstly where have you got your information on Sturridge? He had a minor calf strain, but has trained since Monday, as is likely to at least play some part tonight. He will be for the first group game.
Walcott, isn't good enough, he misses too chances and doesn't deserve to go.
While I agree with the principle of Form over name, Drinkwater is nothing special, and while yes he was part of a successful Leicester side, Kante was the difference in midfield. Drinkwater had a good season, but Wilshere is one of our most important players, and he is a player that can have an impact on the big stage. Drinkwater, would be as big a risk as Rashford almost, he has 3 caps.
I like Townsend and would have preferred to see him go ahead of sterling, but I agree with Townsend not being picked on the premise that we almost certainly won't play wingers. Although Sterling can fill a number of positions I wouldn't have picked him as he's out of form, and I don't see much use for him considering he is the only winger?
Wickham, doesn't deserve as space as he hasn't scored enough, and if anything Kane is a slightly less bulkier but more skilled version of him.
While I agreed on Defoe before, Rashford, was brilliant the other night, although yes against poor opposition, but he also shone against Crystal Palace before injury and deserves his spot.
Deeney and Carroll come off it.

Sorry about the wrong info bout sturridge but it's like playing c.wilson for England barely played and when returned hasn't got much goals. I never said anything about Drinkwater. Thank you for agreeing. You have a point bout sterling and Townsend. Wickham is good back up for Kane as both similar got to agree with that. Deeney good in air, strength and some pace. Can't moan about you disagreeing about Carroll

covmark

Sorry about the wrong info bout sturridge but it's like playing c.wilson for England barely played and when returned hasn't got much goals. I never said anything about Drinkwater. Thank you for agreeing. You have a point bout sterling and Townsend. Wickham is good back up for Kane as both similar got to agree with that. Deeney good in air, strength and some pace. Can't moan about you disagreeing about Carroll

Wickham is absolute horseshit, and Deeney and Carroll aren't much better.
I wouldn't leave out any of our current strikers for them donkeys.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Do you think before you post. Wickham is similar to Kane except Kane better finisher and skilled. Also only sturridge possibly replaced by the players. Deeney got 13 goals Jesus christ

covmark

So Wickham is nothing like Kane then ffs. Not as skilled and a poorer finisher.
No way would I replace Sturridge with Deeney. Do you actually watch football?

So Wickham is nothing like Kane then ffs. Not as skilled and a poorer finisher.
No way would I replace Sturridge with Deeney. Do you actually watch football?

Yes MOTD, FL72,SKY SPORTS and England on ITV is basically my life. Why you hate deeney, who else is good in air apart from hurrikane?

wingy

Yes MOTD, FL72,SKY SPORTS and England on ITV is basically my life. Why you hate deeney, who else is good in air apart from hurrikane?
Anyhow off topic but the Wembley turf looks like it's had the John Ledwidge treatment tonight! B-)

skybluegod

It's nothing like playing Wilson. Sturridge is world class when fit. Furthermore you say he hasn't scored many, he ended the season with 13 goals, despite being injured for half of it? While I can see the point about taking unfit players, I think it is well worth the risk as both her and Wilshere are miles ahead of any alternatives. Both can change games.
Who would you replace for Wickham? He's only a good back up if he can score, his scoring record is terrible in the premier league.
I don't know about you but I don't want to take a player just because they are good in the air? Deeney rightfully, was nowhere near the squad, as he along with Watford had a terrible second half of the season. If you are arguing players on form should have gone, then Deeney does not fir the argument?

skybluegod

While i don't agree Wickham should have gone and he is nowhere near it, but he does possess some great qualities and tbh, he has had some quality games. He's very inconsistent mind you, and needs to start scoring more.

It's nothing like playing Wilson. Sturridge is world class when fit. Furthermore you say he hasn't scored many, he ended the season with 13 goals, despite being injured for half of it? While I can see the point about taking unfit players, I think it is well worth the risk as both her and Wilshere are miles ahead of any alternatives. Both can change games.
Who would you replace for Wickham? He's only a good back up if he can score, his scoring record is terrible in the premier league.
I don't know about you but I don't want to take a player just because they are good in the air? Deeney rightfully, was nowhere near the squad, as he along with Watford had a terrible second half of the season. If you are arguing players on form should have gone, then Deeney does not fir the argument?

I think for a first season deeney has done well and in good form overall and Sturbridge come on he's at Liverpool he's teammates are world class and they have top notch coaches and Koop is he's manager. Wilson was top goal scorer in prem until got injured and has worked hard some of his teammates are championship class, coaches will probably be just a bout survivable class

Gazolba

Because he's an exciting player who can make things happen. We don't pick players like that.
I stick by my statement that if we play Rooney, England will get nowhere.

skybluegod

I don't think It was Rooney, it was poor tactics. Kane and Vardy on the wings of a front 3 why? should have gone for a narrow diamond in midfield, Rooney behind Kane and Vardy,

Users who are viewing this thread