Win promotion or the FA Cup ? (3 Viewers)

ccfcchris

I'd go for the Cup as well. This year I think is a step too far for promotion but next year I reckon we can give it a real good go and get in the top two places.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

It's more than £100m isn't it £130 seems to resonate ?
No idea. Just seen 100m quoted frequently.

The 100m plus is the minimum for finishing bottom of the premier league, but on top of that you get the Sky tv and sponsorship money plus sell out crowds at home 🤑💰

The watchmaker

FA Cup and it's not even remotely close.

Clubs spend years in the top flight without winning a major trophy.

We'd be in Europe too.
Absolutely this. Take the trophy. It's so obvious I liked a hamertime post. FA cup is forever. Being in the prem 2024/25 - no one will remember. It only becomes a contest if there are add ons like survival/consistent challenging for trophies/European football.

SkyblueTexan

Promotion is a more achievable goal than winning the FA Cup

Otis

Promotion is a more achievable goal than winning the FA Cup
Yeah, but the question wasn't which is the most achievable.

I know this is all lighthearted etc, but for this who have said "promotion," I do think that would pretty much be the end of Robins here with us next year.

Pretty much undoubtedly he would be sacked.

Careful for what you wish for. 🤪

wingy

Yeah, but the question wasn't which is the most achievable.

I know this is all lighthearted etc, but for this who have said "promotion," I do think that would pretty much be the end of Robins here with us next year.

Pretty much undoubtedly he would be sacked.

Careful for what you wish for. 🤪
The team around him now not enough to cope?

Otis

The team around him now not enough to cope?
No, I don't think so. Not yet.

We are just hanging on to 6th place aren't we. When you look at the table, Leeds and Leicester are 18 points and 27 points ahead of us, respectively.

If we were flying at the top of the league, it would be different, but we're not.

Not sure many of this squad would cope in the Premier.

I think we would need a season where we were absolutely flying to be honest, to feel confident enough that we would cope at the higher level.

The cup is just individual games where anything can happen.

We all know though, that we would need an incredible slice of luck to even get to the final and then would need the likes of Man City or Liverpool have their entire squad struck down by food poisoning on the day of the final.

Have it so that Klopp and his back room staff all have to don their boots and play, and we would might be in with a chance.

Terry Gibson's perm

For me it’s promotion especially if we got it and stopped that six fingered lot down the road getting it at the same time.

Not NWS

Good good. Concentrate on promotion. Don’t want to risk your best players against a team of non league bruisers and endanger reaching the promised land.

Otis

Good good. Concentrate on promotion. Don’t want to risk your best players against a team of non league bruisers and endanger reaching the promised land.
What sort of chance do you realistically think you have got?

I know people here are talking of 4, 5 nil wins plus for us but I think that's a bit disrespectful.

I would be happy with a 2-0.

I'm sure you will fight tooth and nail and throw everything into chasing and harrying and closing down etc, but think we will break through at some point.

Once we do I think we will be quite comfortable then.

We could thrash you of course, but I am not expecting it. Just need to get through, so doesn't matter if it's 2 nil or 5 nil.

I take it you think you will need a tremendous stroke of luck to beat us.

Last edited:

covcity4life

No, I don't think so. Not yet.

We are just hanging on to 6th place aren't we. When you look at the table, Leeds and Leicester are 18 points and 27 points ahead of us, respectively.

If we were flying at the top of the league, it would be different, but we're not.

Not sure many of this squad would cope in the Premier.

I think we would need a season where we were absolutely flying to be honest, to feel confident enough that we would cope at the higher level.

The cup is just individual games where anything can happen.

We all know though, that we would need an incredible slice of luck to even get to the final and then would need the likes of Man City or Liverpool have their entire squad struck down by food poisoning on the day of the final.

Have it so that Klopp and his back room staff all have to don their boots and play, and we would might be in with a chance.
What r u on about Otis? Forest got promoted from 6th and just made wholesale changes to stay up

Prem money would mean we enhance the squad over the summer before prem season starts

Otis

What r u on about Otis? Forest got promoted from 6th and just made wholesale changes to stay up

Prem money would mean we enhance the squad over the summer before prem season starts
Yup. They had to buy 22 players or something didn't they.

Nearly didn't work either though. I think that's an anomaly though. So many who go up come straight back down again and other sides look much better equipped to be able to survive than us

Not NWS

What sort of chance do you realistically think you have got?

I know people here are talking of 4, 5 nil wins plus for us but I think that's a bit disrespectful.

I would be happy with a 2-0.

I'm sure you will fight tooth and nail and throw everything into chasing and harrying and closing down etc, but think we will break through at some point.

Once we do I think we will be quite comfortable then.

We could thrash you of course, but I am not expecting it. Just need to get through, so doesn't matter if it's 2 nil or 5 nil.

I take it you think you will need a tremendous stroke of luck to beat us.

We’re not stupid. We know how this story ends.

I will be approaching this game with the same mindset of every previous round, including Steyning Town.

Assuming we will lose, so that anything else is a bonus.

Just hope the final game in the cup is not an 8-0 drubbing for an amazing bunch of players.

Otis

I will be approaching this game with the same mindset of every previous round, including Steyning Town.

Just hope the final game in the cup is not an 8-0 drubbing for an amazing bunch of players.
I don't think it will be.

I reckon if we go say 2 nil up, we will take our foot off the gas and just try and kill the game off.

We are also trying to save players too who are tired and exhausted, so we may well field one or two who are not quite first team regulars

lifeskyblue

It’s a one off game and anything can happen. Yes we will expect to beat you but there is no certainty in the cup. You have already shown Ipswich the qualities you have. Our history has been full of upsets…the media never lets us forget Sutton but we have also been knocked out by the likes of Northampton and Wrexham when they have been a couple divisions below us. The biggest danger will be the players, manager and fans just thinking we have to turn up to beat you but you will have a tremendous support (I’m sure a lot will be glory hunters at their second game) and a party atmosphere and your players will be up for another cup shock. The whole country, apart from us, will be behind you…we will be cast as villains and you as plucky heroes. Just enjoy every moment…your club , manager and players and most of all the fans who have been there when you haven’t been on a great cup run deserve it. If it’s still level after 60mins it is us that will be bricking it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calista

It’s not the 80s anymore. Relative minnows winning the FA Cup (Wigan, Portsmouth) does very little to change the trajectory of the club. Promotion to the Premier League is usually transformative.
The two clubs you mention aren't great advertisements for the transformative powers of promotion to the Premier League. Unless you mean it helped them win the FA Cup...

SBT

The two clubs you mention aren't great advertisements for the transformative powers of promotion to the Premier League. Unless you mean it helped them win the FA Cup...
Well yeah, there is a chance that neither achievement would make much difference to the club (you could make an argument for promotion even turning out to be a bad thing). But in terms of which one is most likely to make a positive long-term impact on the club’s future success (and financial security) then there’s only one real answer.

shmmeee

Very dangerous to assume promotion will definitely happen regardless of how well we r being run

Who said anything about regardless of how we’re being run. We’re arguably run the best in my lifetime though so I’m confident ofnpromotion sooner rather than later. Also money is great and all but I’m in no rush to see us get spanked and patronised every week. The Championship is fine. I’ve seen City in the Prem. I want to travel to some bumfuck nowhere Romanian town to watch us in Europe far more than go to the Ethiad.

covcity4life

Who said anything about regardless of how we’re being run. We’re arguably run the best in my lifetime though so I’m confident ofnpromotion sooner rather than later. Also money is great and all but I’m in no rush to see us get spanked and patronised every week. The Championship is fine. I’ve seen City in the Prem. I want to travel to some bumfuck nowhere Romanian town to watch us in Europe far more than go to the Ethiad.
I ain't on about fa cup Vs prem.

I am saying it's crazy to act like us getting to the premier league is a foregone conclusion over the next few years

Users who are viewing this thread