Women's World Cup 2023 (2 Viewers)

TomRad85

Their argument was that the women’s team generated more revenue than the men

Eh? Your national team don't pay your wages do they? Do the clubs the US women play for generate more income than the clubs their male players play for?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

David O'Day

There was a bizarre story on the radio yesterday where they were complaining the England Women's goalkeeper kit isn't available to buy from the official England store. At the end of the piece they threw in that the Mens isn't either :ROFLMAO:
They messed up that story, the original was that the mens can at least be brought

SkyBlueSoul

There was a bizarre story on the radio yesterday where they were complaining the England Women's goalkeeper kit isn't available to buy from the official England store. At the end of the piece they threw in that the Mens isn't either :ROFLMAO:
The difference being that the men's will be on sale at some point, whereas apparently Nike have said that selling the women's shirts is "not part of their commercial strategy"

RegTheDonk

That's the USA men's team. If the girls get more support it's up to their federation to argue parity Vs whatever their lads get paid. Nothing really to do with the global market.

nicksar

Their argument was that the women’s team generated more revenue than the men

Must admit I don't get that tbh because the Womens average "soccer" attendance is approx half that of the Men's game in the USA.

SkyBlueSoul

Interesting VAR call there. No penalty due to an earlier foul, but a yellow given for the tackle that would have been a penalty. Assumed the ball became dead after the first incident. Definitely deserved a card mind.

SBT

Eh? Your national team don't pay your wages do they? Do the clubs the US women play for generate more income than the clubs their male players play for?

The equal pay debate is about payments made by the national football associations to players for appearances on international duty, it’s got nothing to do with the clubs.

In the case of the USWNT, they argued they generated more money for US Soccer, yet were getting less money back from them in appearance fees/prize money than the men were.

TomRad85

The equal pay debate is about payments made by the national football associations to players for appearances on international duty, it’s got nothing to do with the clubs.

In the case of the USWNT, they argued they generated more money for US Soccer, yet were getting less money back from them in appearance fees/prize money than the men were.
Women get more of the overall revenue as a percentage from the Women's WC than men do from the Men's WC.

SkyBlueSoul

I mean fair play, that is an incredible save. Shame she was a yard off the line, great retake.

ccfc922

Once they get the gates and ticket money, viewing figures, TV income and associated sponsorship to match the mens game world wide, then they'll have a case.

Isn't the women's England team/ womens game subsidised by the FA/Mens game at the moment too?

Covkid1968#

If we keep allowing Haiti to break like they have been doing, we will concede!!

SBT

Women get more of the overall revenue as a percentage from the Women's WC than men do from the Men's WC.

Well that’s nice if it helps address the pay gap, but the US women’s team clearly disagrees, and it’s a different issue from the one that led to a lawsuit anyway.

TomRad85

Well that’s nice if it helps address the pay gap, but the US women’s team clearly disagrees, and it’s a different issue from the one that led to a lawsuit anyway.
So the US team is underpaid but all the other nations are overpaid?

RegTheDonk

Isn't the women's England team/ womens game subsidised by the FA/Mens game at the moment too?
Dunno mate I wouldn't be surprised. Think PVA is saying the USA girls are arguing for parity which is fair enough if they are more popular than their men. As long as it's paid via MSL funds or whoever administers US Soccer then that's their business.

How are England doing? Painting the landing.

TomRad85

Dunno mate I wouldn't be surprised. Think PVA is saying the USA girls are arguing for parity which is fair enough if they are more popular than their men. As long as it's paid via MSL funds or whoever administers US Soccer then that's their business.

How are England doing? Painting the landing.
It's SBT not PVA and when he starts talking about overpaying being a good thing to bridge a 'pay gap' in a spectator sport you know its just ideological nonsense.

SBT

So the US team is underpaid but all the other nations are overpaid?

I have no idea what every global football association pays its women’s teams, how am I supposed to know? The percentage of WC revenues being paid to the players isn’t even the issue here.

TomRad85

I have no idea what every global football association pays its women’s teams, how am I supposed to know? The percentage of WC revenues being paid to the players isn’t even the issue here.
Of course that won't be an issue because it's favourable. Its easy to pick and choose your issues.

SBT

Of course that won't be an issue because it's favourable. Its easy to pick and choose your issues.

Well it’s also easy to call an issue nonsense when you pretend it’s actually about something completely different. Not sure what your issue is.

Hertsccfc

Only started watching at the beginning of the second half. England look rather lacklustre but I am surprised how good Haiti look. Given the difficulties they will have faced it is an amazing achievement for them to be there and some of their players look really talented.

SBAndy

In terms of appearance fees I think it’s right that men’s and women’s teams get equivalent. The governing body (FAs) aren’t for-profit entities and should be about furthering the development of the game as a whole. I think the England men’s teams get paid but put it into a charity pot each tournament period.

When it comes to wages from clubs, they’d have to generate the revenue streams to be able to offer pay parity otherwise the game would eat itself inside 6 months.

Users who are viewing this thread