Wood to Wolves? (1 Viewer)

Mucca Mad Boys

This football club has to get on a proper financial footing, sorting out the rent was a start but trimming the playing staff wage bill is even more important. We have four players on very lucrative contract - Bell, Baker, Sheff and Wood. These contracts are totally out of keeping with our income or status as a third tier club. It is unlikely that we would be able to move any of the first three on but if there is a chance to get Wood off the wage bill it has to be taken, not for footballing reasons but for financial reasons. He is a decent enough player and has done well in recent weeks but I am sure we could secure a replacement for a third of what Wood is currently on. This club will continue to trim its costs and as the playing budget is the biggest component of the clubs costs expect more of these in the coming months.

I could replace Wood, I'd just be a really shit one! I'd do it for free!

We have got to sort the wage bill out, but I don't think Wood should be at the top of the list, Bell, Baker and Sheff should be offloaded before him, Sheff and Baker are both in their 30's and so we need to get rid of them, neither were great in the championship anyway! Wood is a Championship CB, he has a decent understanding with Edj,

I'm sure we could find replacements for Sheff and Baker a LOT easier than finding one for Wood!

Also, if we keep players like Wood, that is encouraging as it will enhance our chances of promotion, we don't need to get rid of him. We should cut costs elsewhere, e.g. ROD

Mary_Mungo_Midge

In bold MMM

But what bit is anti-CCFC? Surely what he's saying is that wage control is important; especially with the Financial Fair Play rules looming large, both now and moving forward - both in this division, and in the championship if we get promoted.

My guess it that our wage bill needs to be at £3.9m to adhere to this year's FFP rules, which across a, say 25-man, squad (ours currently lists more, but bear with me) would point to an average squad player's wage being in the region of £3K per week.

In that context, if Wood's wage estimates of almost three times that are true; then the comment is surely only that it's out of kilter with our current situation?

But I don't think stating tha is anti-CCFC is it. Surely it's pro-common sense?!?

Mary_Mungo_Midge

We have got to sort the wage bill out, but I don't think Wood should be at the top of the list, Bell, Baker and Sheff should be offloaded before him

But we can't simply offload them, can we? Maybe we need Winston Smith to attend to their existence? They're not good enough for the championship. Too expensive for other league one clubs; so we've stuck with them.

I think it's harsh to single out Baker too!?! :thinking about:

Danceswithhorses

Ignorance it not. Jan speaks for the trust when on here unless a caveat is added I'd suggest. So it should be added.
Regardless of what is being said.

The caveat being that he is speaking for himself.

I was supporting Jan's comments !
I was having a go at mattylad for being so shortsighted

RoboCCFC90

But what bit is anti-CCFC? Surely what he's saying is that wage control is important; especially with the Financial Fair Play rules looming large, both now and moving forward - both in this division, and in the championship if we get promoted.

My guess it that our wage bill needs to be at £3.9m to adhere to this year's FFP rules, which across a, say 25-man, squad (ours currently lists more, but bear with me) would point to an average squad player's wage being in the region of £3K per week.

In that context, if Wood's wage estimates of almost three times that are true; then the comment is surely only that it's out of kilter with our current situation?

But I don't think stating tha is anti-CCFC is it. Surely it's pro-common sense?!?

Okay so selling players who are first team regulars and players who are the core of our first team is the right way to do it (Barr David Bell)? These players are the players that will push us on for Promotion! Yet in your's and Ashbyjan's sense lets sell the core of our squad and stay in League One instead of pushing on for a return to the Championship.. :claping hands: Yeah we need to consider FFP but there is a lot of players in our squad that should be looked at before our first team..

Roy O'Donovan
Cody McDonald
David Bell

Surely the club should be aiming to keep its players not part with them and the players above are on the fringes or not even actively playing for us..

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Okay so selling players who are first team regulars and players who are the core of our first team is the right way to do it (Barr David Bell)? These players are the players that will push us on for Promotion! Yet in your's and Ashbyjan's sense lets sell the core of our squad and stay in League One instead of pushing on for a return to the Championship.. :claping hands: Yeah we need to consider FFP but there is a lot of players in our squad that should be looked at before our first team..

Roy O'Donovan
Cody McDonald
David Bell

Surely the club should be aiming to keep its players not part with them and the players above are on the fringes or not even actively playing for us..

A few points old lad:

Firstly, I didn't say I agreed with Ashby - read back - just tried to give a context for why he may have thought as he did.

Second point; we can't sell without buyers. I'm sure Robins and the club would love to rid themselves of ROD and Bell; but do you know what? Without a buyer, they're going nowhere. And they're currently not good enough for the championship, and too expensive for other league one clubs. So, they either get paid off, which costs cash and is therefore kinda self-defeating, or we have to stay with them.

Finally, Ashby is declaring a view that states we should show financial restraint. Given we're losing cash like an MEP, It's hard not to relate to that opinion. He might point toward Swindon - all Billy Big Balls at the start of the season, and now looking at administration - and tell us what happens when you run with players you can't afford. However, it's just his opinion as to how the club should be run. Different to yours? Yeah. Different to mine? Maybe. But that doesn't make it anti-CCFC. Just different

Last edited:

RoboCCFC90

A few points old lad:

Firstly, I didn't say I agreed with Ashby - read back - just tried to give a context for why he may have thought as he did. - I never said that you did either but I did say that players who are in our first team should not be sold and the sense of thinking that is wrong whether you agree with Ashby or not.

Second point; we can't sell without buyers. I'm sure Robins and the club would love to rid themselves of ROD and Bell; but do you know what? Without a buyer, they're going nowhere. And they're currently not good enough for the championship, and too expensive for other league one clubs. So, they either get paid off, which costs cash and is therefore kinda self-defeating, or we have to stay with them. - ROD and Bell to my knowledge are out of contract at the end of the season so if this is the case then we shouldn't have to wait long to clear them out, Cody is different but as proven he is good enough for a League 2 side so maybe Robins would consider a cut price deal to get rid of him off the wages, Hussey again would have been another one but I think we are already benefiting from him being off the wages.

Finally, Ashby is declaring a view that states we should show financial restraint. Given we're losing cash like an MEP, It's hard not to relate to that opinion. He might point toward Swindon - all Billy Big Balls at the start of the season, and now looking at administration - and tell us what happens when you run with players you can't afford. However, it's just his opinion as to how the club should be run. Different to yours? Yeah. Different to mine? Maybe. But that doesn't make it anti-CCFC. Just different
- Fair comment and that is Ashby's opinion but tell me this currently we have got a chance to get promoted (Via The Play-Offs more than likely) and JPT Final at Wembley with the current first team are you saying it makes sense to sell our best players especially at the Midway point of the season? Yes Finacially we might not be the best in the Football League but I was reading a comment from the Swindon story earlier that I will share with you "When asked if he (Sir William Patey) could guarantee avoiding administration for a third time in their history, Patey responded: Not a single chairman in the country could do that." This is a clear indication that Football Clubs finacially (Not just us) are not finacially sound and never will be but this is the Sport in its current enviroment and we must accept that, I am sure anyone would tell you that any player is avaliable in the FL right now for the right price, but our club should do all it can to keep hold of our best players and fans should not encourage sales of our best players.

mattylad

When you talk about players who are first team regulars being released to resolve financing at the same time as the club is finding funds to secure the likes of Mouassa, Adams, Bailey and Clarke then you are purely scare mongering from a basis of your own agenda because FACT proves you to be wrong.

If that is ignorance then I will gladly bathe in its warm glow!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread