Would a Bus service like this attract more into the stadium? (1 Viewer)

I visited Reading on Monday and this is the Bus Service for Football matches.
http://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/article/busestrains-for-madejski-stadium-958173.aspx

Not only does it serve the Railway Station but outlying areas area
http://www.readingfc.co.uk/documents/parkinginner1314154-957318.pdfs are also well served.

The Coventry has double the population and Stadiums are at similar locations. And should be capable of attracting a larger support.
Who would the responsibility lie with more the City Council or the Club or would both have to work in unison?
At a cost of £4 a return at least 10 buses serving the station were full at 50 passengers each it works out at £200 a bus, more than enough to cover the cost of hiring. The Car traffic it takes off the road also meant traffic from the ground was also quickly dispersed. They start the service at 13:00 so it gives supporters ample time to spend money at the ground.
I live a fair distance from Coventry but even though Reading is twice as far I could have got home 2 hours earlier from Reading if it hadn't been for the 5+mins injury time .

lifelongcityfan

Hi, i work in Reading. The Stadium has the main Park and Ride behind it and also a major Business Park ( Green Park) adjacent- this is why there is a frequent bus service

Hi, i work in Reading. The Stadium has the main Park and Ride behind it and also a major Business Park ( Green Park) adjacent- this is why there is a frequent bus service

These Bus Services are laid on specifically for the Football, and are by the Taxi Rank alongside the Train Station, Coventry Could easily do the same with full Buses going straight on to the stadium. They could also lay on Football Specials from Coventry Coach Station.
The difference is with a similar distance from both Towns Railway Station to their Stadiums, Stadiums with similar lay-outs it took me 2 hours to get back from the Ricoh(16,000 attendance small away attendance) and 15 minutes from the Madejski(20,000 attendance and 1,500 away) . More than enough to put some supporters off attending again.

Last edited:

Sumo the Micky Quinn

When the Ricoh stadium first opened, Stagecoach, Travel Coventry & DeCourcey laid on bus services from various locations, I used to work for stagecoach at the time.

Stagecoach operated a service to/from Nuneaton & Bedworth, when the service was terminated at the end of the 2005-6 season, it carried just 5 people.

Most people using public transport realise their is a Travel Coventry service number 20 operates along the Longford Road every 10 minutes between City Centre & Bedworth, also there is the Stagecoach number 48 continuing to Nuneaton every 10 minutes and to Atherstone or Hinckley every 20 minutes.

Also there are other services through Holbrooks at least every 10 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread