Would you pay more ? (1 Viewer)

Esoterica

You only really stretch a defence though if you can beat a man down the wing, throwing balls in too early is just gambling, plus you need to vary it, an attacking midfielder is what causes real headaches, especially if he's not been tracked.
That's why I thought Grimmer's performance on Saturday was a bit deceptive (through no fault of his own I might add). After Jones went off he was getting a lot of space down the right but he's not going to beat a man to the byline very often. Several of his crosses were from quite deep (which were decent balls in) but were never going to trouble a big Colchester defence or he retains possession and passes back to Kelly in the right back space. It all looks neat and tidy but lacks any penetration - his best bit for me was the 1-2 with McNulty where he crossed from the byline and the keeper got finger tips on it.

Nick

Administrator
As soon as they went down to ten men or even before a extra striker should have been brought on the only decent crosses that were coming in were from Grimmer low and just asking to be hit in by someone coming from the edge of the area nothing is being created in the middle of the park between the 2 holding midfielders and their 18 yard box I really think we must sacrifice one of those and bring Stevenson in to play in that area telling him just to put balls to Nazon to run onto as he seems to be the only forward who is mobile must be easy marking Mc Nulty he never seems to try and lose his marker . Saturday I was one who wanted forward movement the ball was coming in the box there were 2 players in there (well outnumbered) and no one else busting a gut to get in there it's easy to see why our goals against record is good we don't commit enough players forward.

I put up screenshots the other day of strikers losing their markers time and time again. :(

clint van damme

You'd be hard pressed.

When they went down to 10 men lots of City fans were screaming for us to just get it forwards, but we were doing exactly the right thing, passing it around, probing and trying to find gaps.

Just lumping it forwards would have done absolutely no good whatsoever as they still had their giant centre backs moping everything up.

When a team goes down to 10 you try to break them down and make the extra man count, not just go lumping it forwards.

You try telling that though to most of the people sitting round by me.

yeah, it worked a treat.

Otis

You only really stretch a defence though if you can beat a man down the wing, throwing balls in too early is just gambling, plus you need to vary it, an attacking midfielder is what causes real headaches, especially if he's not been tracked.
I don't disagree. Like I say, it was the right way to play against 10, but our application of it was poor for the reasons you have highlighted.

clint van damme

As I said (a number of times if you care to check ;) ) the application of it was wrong.

It clearly didn't work because we didn't get the ball into the areas to cause danger.

I agree with the jist of your post, use a patient approach when the opposition is down to 10 men but like everything else it didn't work.
To be fair, the idea of stroking it around is to get the opposition chasing the ball and tire them out, when they've only got 10 or so minutes to go that's not so easy.

Users who are viewing this thread