Your Old Family Home (1 Viewer)

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
We have lived in our house for 30 years now. A couple of years ago we had a letter sent in the post marked to "the owners" When we opened it, it was from a guy who lived in our house as a child, in the 1930's when it was first built. To cut a long story short he ended up coming round to the house with his 2 sisters and we had a lovely long chat talking about the house and what it was like when they lived here. They had brought some really old photos with them, of the garden and the street as it was then, also the original bill of sale when they sold the house. We still keep in touch with them.
I went to Cork, in Eire, to check out some rellys and found an address that is on my gran's birth certificate. I just wanted to see the house. Anyway, wanting to be a bit nosey and maybe find out more about the house and it's present occupants, I knocked on the door and said to the woman who answered, "Hello. My grandmother was born in this house in 1899. I just wondered if you might be related in some way?" She looked very suspiciously at me, paused for a second or two and said "No." and slammed the door in my face! Ah well. So much for Irish relations! I took a picture of the house anyway...………
Ireland 32.jpg

Ring Of Steel

I spent big chunks of my life in Wood End/ Bell Green- Deedmore Road to be precise- and have happy memories of people spilling out of the Live & Let Live (die) with armfuls of stolen goods and selling it up and down the road, thats how I got my first ever Walkman :)

I went back last week after about 4 years and it has changed completely- the air of menace seems to have disappeared

Ring Of Steel

I went to Cork, in Eire, to check out some rellys and found an address that is on my gran's birth certificate. I just wanted to see the house. Anyway, wanting to be a bit nosey and maybe find out more about the house and it's present occupants, I knocked on the door and said to the woman who answered, "Hello. My grandmother was born in this house in 1899. I just wondered if you might be related in some way?" She looked very suspiciously at me, paused for a second or two and said "No." and slammed the door in my face! Ah well. So much for Irish relations! I took a picture of the house anyway...………
View attachment 9691

I live in Cork- whereabouts was that?

bringbackrattles

I spent big chunks of my life in Wood End/ Bell Green- Deedmore Road to be precise- and have happy memories of people spilling out of the Live & Let Live (die) with armfuls of stolen goods and selling it up and down the road, thats how I got my first ever Walkman :)

I went back last week after about 4 years and it has changed completely- the air of menace seems to have disappeared
It has changed a lot as the Livvy is now a health centre, and opposite is a leisure centre.
And Wood End has been renovated with private housing, but the small precinct is still there. All the trouble now happens where I am in Bell Green.

Marty

My parents still live in the property I grew up in, My uncle now owns my grandparents home. It feels weird to know that at some point those homes will be sold.

I was looking at the deeds for my property earlier while I was having a clear out. I never took the time to give them a look over before but found something quite weird, It was originally built by the bloke at number 2, sold to the geezer at number 4, who sold it to the person at number 17,who then sold it to number 12. I'm the first person to buy the house who hasn't lived on the street before. Found it extremely weird. The general consensus was that it was built sometime between WW 1 and WW 2. The first sale was in 1911, original property info is quite badly damaged but looks like it was originally built in the late 1800's. Which blows that theory out and is at least 20 years older then first thought.

Users who are viewing this thread