‘It’ll be a good window if we keep what we have’ (1 Viewer)

Brighton Sky Blue

Appreciate he usually keeps his cards close to his chest but seems like our esteemed owners aren’t willing to provide any help to bring in some needed reinforcements to this squad. This despite crowds having consistently exceeded the break even figure, a bumper ST sale and injections from a host of Sky appearances. We will probably not get as good a chance as this again for a long time and it wouldn’t require much to provide the extra bits of quality needed.

Bit disappointing to be honest.

johnwillomagic

Don't think that's surprising at all tbh - Robins never really does a lot of business in the January window,
We have a pretty big squad with quite a few wasters.

With the uncertainty of possibly playing behind closed doors soon vastly reducing the finances I would be more disappointed if we did risk it and spend stupid money we don't have and would be bad ownership,

Think it stands to reason that if we want anyone in we need to get rid of people the other way too such as Hillsner, Pask, Jobello....etc...etc,,,

Grendel

Lol Pete loves a post that perfectly illustrates why these owners are unsuitable at championship level

Brighton Sky Blue

Don't think that's surprising at all tbh - Robins never really does a lot of business in the January window,
We have a pretty big squad with quite a few wasters.

With the uncertainty of possibly playing behind closed doors soon vastly reducing the finances I would be more disappointed if we did risk it and spend stupid money we don't have and would be bad ownership,

Think it stands to reason that if we want anyone in we need to get rid of people the other way too such as Hillsner, Pask, Jobello....etc...etc,,,

I agree those players need to be moved on. Where I disagree is that the ‘bonus’ money received so far isn’t enough to add 1 or 2 players, nothing more, especially if just on loan.

If ticket sales make no difference to spending power perhaps don’t make that the main selling pitch in the summer.

chiefdave

Robins never does much in January so not sure why this would come as a surprise to anyone. And even if he has been handed some cash by the owners he's hardly going to come out in the press and announce he's got money to spend is he.

The current situation won't be helping. Before the start of the season Boddy said the cost of the previous covid interruptions would take years to pay off, with the possibility of more disruption its not going to encourage owners of any club to start throwing money around.

Grendel

Robins never does much in January so not sure why this would come as a surprise to anyone. And even if he has been handed some cash by the owners he's hardly going to come out in the press and announce he's got money to spend is he.

The current situation won't be helping. Before the start of the season Boddy said the cost of the previous covid interruptions would take years to pay off, with the possibility of more disruption its not going to encourage owners of any club to start throwing money around.

They haven’t thrown any money around for 15 years

slowpoke

I think most if not all previous transfer windows Robins has played any recruitment down but has come up with good additions, last season he got Matty James a big signing for us and Vik Gyokeres who has turned into a top addition and this summer the last minute addition of Todd Kane two or three like them I’d be more than happy with.

Brighton Sky Blue

I think most if not all previous transfer windows Robins has played any recruitment down but has come up with a good additions, last season he got Matty James a big signing for us and Vik Gyokeres who has turned into a top addition and this summer the last minute addition of Todd Kane two or three like them I’d be more than happy with.

We signed Gyo because we were down to just one striker

Brighton Sky Blue

Not the best signing ever but at the time a lot of our fans were more than happy we were in for him and eventually got him.

Well because we were down to an even thinner squad than we have now, he basically had no alternative. If we go even further and sell players with no intent to replace them it should be all the evidence needed

Grendel

stupot07

2017/18

Mcguire-drew - loan
Clarke-Harris- loan with view to permanent

2018/19

Chaplin - permanent following loan
Wakefield - permanent - development player
Drysdale - permanent - development player
Bright - loan
Mayer - loan

2019/20

Giles- loan
McCallum- loan after selling to Norwich

2020/21

Reid - permanent - development player
Tavares - permanent - development player
James - loan
Gyokeres - loan

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

clint van damme

Exactly yet for some reason people think they're suddenly going to go on a spending spree in the upcoming window.

I'm not expecting a spending spree but we clearly need bodies. If need be we need to use the loan market.
JCS, Waghorn and Hamer being out is hurting us far more than 3 injuries should hurt a top half championship club.

slowpoke

I agree with that I’m still not sure about our midfield set ups, which is the best pairings and the lack of goals or even goal attempts, although we had plenty of shots v Huddersfield so we can do it.

slyblue57

Appreciate he usually keeps his cards close to his chest but seems like our esteemed owners aren’t willing to provide any help to bring in some needed reinforcements to this squad. This despite crowds having consistently exceeded the break even figure, a bumper ST sale and injections from a host of Sky appearances. We will probably not get as good a chance as this again for a long time and it wouldn’t require much to provide the extra bits of quality needed.

Bit disappointing to be honest.

Whats your definition of not much ?

PUSB-We_are_going_up

2017/18

Mcguire-drew - loan
Clarke-Harris- loan with view to permanent

2018/19

Chaplin - permanent following loan
Wakefield - permanent - development player
Drysdale - permanent - development player
Bright - loan
Mayer - loan

2019/20

Giles- loan
McCallum- loan after selling to Norwich

2020/21

Reid - permanent - development player
Tavares - permanent - development player
James - loan
Gyokeres - loan

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
So we should expect 2 loans, 🙂

fernandopartridge

This season is the longest prolonged spell we've had in the top 6 of this league since SISU have been here, so I'd argue whatever came before is irrelevant.

The play off position is there for the taking, the crowds have backed the team brilliantly yet the owners might once again not do their bit. I'm all for being sensible but any SISU investor would surely see this as worthy of a punt.

stay_up_skyblues

A couple of loans

Im sure we will get the usual couple of loans.

It is a plum opportunity to invest a bit more than that but if there was any chance of them putting their hands in their pocket the current uncertainty over crowds will no doubt put paid to it.

We just have to hope the couple we do get in are James/JCH levels of success as opposed to Maguire-Drew. If so, and we don’t get any offers for the key players, we might stay in touch.

Brighton Sky Blue

Im sure we will get the usual couple of loans.

It is a plum opportunity to invest a bit more than that but if there was any chance of them putting their hands in their pocket the current uncertainty over crowds will no doubt put paid to it.

We just have to hope the couple we do get in are James/JCH levels of success as opposed to Maguire-Drew. If so, and we don’t get any offers for the key players, we might stay in touch.

Attempting to just tread water financially in this league requires the manager to pull off miracles every season.

speedie87

If dacosta, Reid, drysdale, pask, Eccles, all went out on loan our match day squad wouldn’t really be any weaker, and you hope we could get a first team starter in for that budget freed up

Sky Blue Harry H

Unless a club is desperate, I don't think there will be much movement anywhere. All clubs want to get rid of deadwood. I see Blues have told Harley Dean (club captain) he can find another club in January. He is contracted to Summer 23 on big money (according to Bowyer) and was left put of the squad today, as Marc Roberts is ahead of him. Roberts did his hamstring today, so Blues will be left with a player they've told he isn't wanted = nobody will match his wages, so he may not go anywhere! Own goal in my eyes! i think it will be a very quiet window.

skybluegod

I mentioned it on another thread. People keep mentioning these loans from the premier League, but with Covid as it is clubs are going to be hoarding players in case of further outbreaks, we have already seen teams decimated by covid, it won't help if they loan out their bright talents. There will be a lot less activity in January than planned for almost all clubs.

Brighton Sky Blue

Unless a club is desperate, I don't think there will be much movement anywhere. All clubs want to get rid of deadwood. I see Blues have told Harley Dean (club captain) he can find another club in January. He is contracted to Summer 23 on big money (according to Bowyer) and was left put of the squad today, as Marc Roberts is ahead of him. Roberts did his hamstring today, so Blues will be left with a player they've told he isn't wanted = nobody will match his wages, so he may not go anywhere! Own goal in my eyes! i think it will be a very quiet window.

Then perhaps some of those players are worth a closer look. You'd imagine Kane took a fair salary cut to come here

Users who are viewing this thread