‘It’ll be a good window if we keep what we have’ (1 Viewer)

christonabike

I mentioned it on another thread. People keep mentioning these loans from the premier League, but with Covid as it is clubs are going to be hoarding players in case of further outbreaks, we have already seen teams decimated by covid, it won't help if they loan out their bright talents. There will be a lot less activity in January than planned for almost all clubs.
The big clubs scoop up all the talent in the lower leagues and have upto 30 players in or around their first team but 3 first team players get Covid they call a game off! Tell them to get on with it. It’s ok to play a team like Coventry in a cup game and rest 7 players but Covid comes up it’s a disaster. 🤦‍♀️

Terry_dactyl

If dacosta, Reid, drysdale, pask, Eccles, all went out on loan our match day squad wouldn’t really be any weaker, and you hope we could get a first team starter in for that budget freed up
I reckon Eccles will feature more once he’s up and running. You’re right though, we wouldn’t miss the others. Could argue Shipley needs to go somewhere…has he had any minutes at all this season?

CDK

Appreciate he usually keeps his cards close to his chest but seems like our esteemed owners aren’t willing to provide any help to bring in some needed reinforcements to this squad. This despite crowds having consistently exceeded the break even figure, a bumper ST sale and injections from a host of Sky appearances. We will probably not get as good a chance as this again for a long time and it wouldn’t require much to provide the extra bits of quality needed.

Bit disappointing to be honest.

My thoughts exactly and as usual under joy think we are well underspending overall.

Blind-Faith

It’s a tough one, I don’t want the club over spending and putting us at risk. But with a couple of the right additions, whether that be loans/free/transfers we have a real shot at making the playoffs and maybe, just maybe having a season in the PL.

So it’s fine lines really, but I would like to see some positive moves getting a couple of players to give us a slight push, just not to the detriment of the club on the financial side of things 🤦🏻‍♂️

johnwillomagic

I would love one or two in but with current covid situation and the playing behind closed doors a very possible option going forward I am not expecting much unless we lose a few players - if we keep what we have got and managed to secure 1 or 2 good loans will be happy.

To say we have a wafer thin squad is ludicrous however - probably same people who were saying we needed a squad of 32 in League two!!!

We have quite a decent sized squad and a number of players potentially need to go either permanently or loaned out to make some room,

Josh Pask
Declan Drysdale
Juilen DaCosta
Jordan Shipley
Wesley Jobello
Marcel Hillsner
Josh Eccles

slowpoke

It’s down to our owner, what was the cost of bringing established star Matty James to the club for half a season which imo helped us to stay up so with three loans available would multiplying that by three be worth the gamble for the prize for atleast a top six spot, I’d say yes but I’m not the owner I’ve said before you need the will.

Londonccfcfan

Theres a stat heard someone mention we have used the fewest players. Which is brilliant and that shows in the performances. Dont think we have got anywhere near the results our performances have deserved. Particularly Huddersfield and Birmingham.

Marty

I wonder how the club are looking at it. Not the likes of Robins but Fisher & Joy, maybe they're thinking we're over achieving, and it's not worth spending the money as we'll fall towards mid table eventually.

Personally, I think this is going to be the best chances for a while, the championship is fairly weak compared to the usual standard. I'd love to see us bring in a goal scoring AM & a couple of big CB's, (maybe worth talking to Brighton over Ostigard). See if we can do something where we take him on loan for the second half of the season and make it a permanent transfer at the end of the season when his contract expires.

Hopefully it's just the usual talk from Robins.

slowpoke

The attitude of the likes of Joy & Fisher is so important obviously there’s no guarantee of a play off spot but is it worth a gamble or call it investment which in itself is another word for gamble I’d say yes, But I worry about their long term attitude getting to the promised land is the goal and dream for all of us lots of money to come into the club but lots of outlay too just to try and stay in, do sisu want that, not sure to be honest.

Home and Away!

The big clubs scoop up all the talent in the lower leagues and have upto 30 players in or around their first team but 3 first team players get Covid they call a game off! Tell them to get on with it. It’s ok to play a team like Coventry in a cup game and rest 7 players but Covid comes up it’s a disaster. 🤦‍♀️
Fair play to Carl Robinson [Oxford Utd] had 7 players out with covid 5 injured and 1 suspended,but still put out a team against visiting Wigan!
Said he felt the supporters who had paid to travel and purchased tickets etc....Maybe a feew more "Elite " teams could take note!!??

Evo1883

Appreciate he usually keeps his cards close to his chest but seems like our esteemed owners aren’t willing to provide any help to bring in some needed reinforcements to this squad. This despite crowds having consistently exceeded the break even figure, a bumper ST sale and injections from a host of Sky appearances. We will probably not get as good a chance as this again for a long time and it wouldn’t require much to provide the extra bits of quality needed.

Bit disappointing to be honest.

The club will probably use any extra revenue received this year as a chance to make up some of the losses from covid , with us not looking likely to go down , there's probably no better time than now to be frugal

Grendel

The attitude of the likes of Joy & Fisher is so important obviously there’s no guarantee of a play off spot but is it worth a gamble or call it investment which in itself is another word for gamble I’d say yes, But I worry about their long term attitude getting to the promised land is the goal and dream for all of us lots of money to come into the club but lots of outlay too just to try and stay in, do sisu want that, not sure to be honest.

The owners primary objective is to pay fundholder returns - it’s obvious now that they have a dispassionate view of on pitch events and no connection

How they can be removed though is another matter

Brighton Sky Blue

The club will probably use any extra revenue received this year as a chance to make up some of the losses from covid , with us not looking likely to go down , there's probably no better time than now to be frugal

I’d actually argue the opposite

Grendel

I mean I'm open to either avenue the club decide to take , both hold risks , I just feel that the " hope for the best " scenario probably is the safest financially

Well I’m sure it’s the line our commander in chief will relay to her poodle Boddy who in turn will peddle out to the supporters group

Brighton Sky Blue

I mean I'm open to either avenue the club decide to take , both hold risks , I just feel that the " hope for the best with what we have " scenario probably is the safest financially

In which case we would be choosing a strategy of the manager having to work miracles every season otherwise we head back where we came from. Barnsley case in point.

Evo1883

In which case we would be choosing a strategy of the manager having to work miracles every season otherwise we head back where we came from. Barnsley case in point.

We know that anyway don't we ? Different model entirely to Barnsley though ..isn't it

Grendel

Grendel

Well there isn’t - the club have stated very clearly that they forecast the financial situation every season and operate in that level.

They recoup any surplus to pay the portfolio and offer high interest short term loans for any deficit

There is zero strategic intent that relates to the league and league position we are in

slowpoke

I think this season is a crossroads for our club and will illustrate our owner lately full of smiles if she is negative she’s finished here imo.

Grendel

I think this season is a crossroads for our club and will illustrate our owner lately full of smiles if she is negative she’s finished here imo.

She won’t be as many buy into her “model” - Boddy will get Stokes accounts out and the supporters group will just dribble and play the message out on social media

Brighton Sky Blue

It’s how you get her out that’s the problem. Though she can’t see that one season in the top flight is enough for her to recoup everything, sell up at a profit and piss off.

slowpoke

Trouble is it’s not getting her out, it’s getting them out and who are them ?
We are seeing a number of possibles gathering round to buy a basket case (at the moment) club like Derby yet nobody seems to come within a million miles of us, are we that expensive ? we have issues but surely not impossible to correct.

Grendel

We are seeing a number of possibles gathering round to buy a basket case (at the moment) club like Derby yet know one seems to come within a million miles of us, are we that expensive ? we have issues but surely not impossible to correct.

Its impossible as there is little momentum in getting them out. If you did a poll even on here the majority would back her

Brighton Sky Blue

We are seeing a number of possibles gathering round to buy a basket case (at the moment) club like Derby yet nobody seems to come within a million miles of us, are we that expensive ? we have issues but surely not impossible to correct.

Well it is her ultimately as she manages the hedge fund. What I imagine happens is anyone who asks is told to pay a fairly ridiculous sum and the interest dies there.

Grendel

I think supporters really need to decide what they want from the owners

We are now back where we started and almost in the same league standing as 20 years ago - and really to an extent it’s a fortune of circumstance. Fans are backing the club but the owners are not. Literally not backing at all in terms of transfer budget

We could easily be Barnsley next season. It’s a back to the future moment

Old Warwickshire lad

Its impossible as there is little momentum in getting them out. If you did a poll even on here the majority would back her
Surely you can not be right on that.
I agree that there is little to nothing happening to get them out. But even our fickle lot must want rid of SISU. They are still a bunch of blood sucking leeches.

Grendel

Surely you can not be right on that.
I agree that there is little to nothing happening to get them out. But even our fickle lot must want rid of SISU. They are still a bunch of blood sucking leeches.

Do the poll - I think you will be very surprised

Users who are viewing this thread