Match Thread ⚽️ Coventry City vs Cardiff City Match Thread - Thursday 29th Dec (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

Rumour he was out of the starting line up and took an ankle knock yok was struggling second half

Robins needs to find his next way of working out how to play without Ohare

Just go back to the ones we used before he was back?

What Robins needs are footballers of Championship quality as we have about ten fit at the moment it seems and a bunch not up to scratch or barely out of nappies.

SBT

Waghorn is absolutely toast - surely one of the worst signings of the Robins era. Can only assume MR bought him on in case we got a penalty late again.

Brighton Sky Blue

The best chance was when Hamer seized possession and just had to play in Gyo, but overcooked the pass. Asides from that I can't really say we looked up to much.

This is going to be how it is until the ownership is resolved

Brighton Sky Blue

Investment might not alter the Ref situation (unless we bung him) atmosphere better than recent years but not as good as recent matches.

Spending £15k a week on a 31 year old should never happen. Think of what we could have done with the money? INVESTING in a couple of decent youngsters with potential for on-profit and a younger target man was the obvious thing to do.
Do we know what his wages actually are?

Sky Blue Pete

Just go back to the ones we used before he was back?

What Robins needs are footballers of Championship quality as we have about ten fit at the moment it seems and a bunch not up to scratch or barely out of nappies.
Yep need 5 or so Bidwells early in January in a few positions to give us a chance

Sky Blue Pete

The best chance was when Hamer seized possession and just had to play in Gyo, but overcooked the pass. Asides from that I can't really say we looked up to much.

This is going to be how it is until the ownership is resolved
Allen just past post
Sheaf hit post
Palmer hit it wide
The move you referred to first half

secobd gald
Palmers shot saved
Yok should have scored the header

not much else

Brighton Sky Blue

Allen just past post
Sheaf hit post
Palmer hit it wide
The move you referred to first half

secobd gald
Palmers shot saved
Yok should have scored the header

not much else
Nothing clear cut is my point, and it's pretty clear why. We need more players of sufficient quality to take the pressure off the same 11 who pretty much have to play every game and be on form for us to be a threat.

Ashdown

Waghorn !! What’s the fucking point ?
And I thought Kanes final balls in were atrocious.
Mostly positive though apart from ….that missing runner from midfield who caused so much trouble…..oh yes that’s Callum Ohare then😕

slowpoke

Anybody else think that we should have switched Panzo with Doyle second half, Doyle just much more enterprising with the ball
Perhaps not today but it wouldn’t surprise me if he moves into midfield as he gets older, he is so cool on the ball and a superb passer of the ball under pressure, but a good defender too.

The Philosopher

To be honest even if it's 'just' £10k a week that's still a million spent on him.
100% agree.

If he were 27 when we signed him then I’d understand - some you win - some you lose.

31. Two year contract costing a million minimum plus sign on fee plus bonuses etc etc.

31. No resale value. Not an investment. Just a crazy signing.

I said at the time: why? What happens if Vic is out? Why waste so much on someone with no resale value?

We can all be smart with hindsight but this was just so obvious at the time.

Brighton Sky Blue

100% agree.

If he were 27 when we signed him then I’d understand - some you win - some you lose.

31. Two year contract costing a million minimum plus sign on fee plus bonuses etc etc.

31. No resale value. Not an investment. Just a crazy signing.

I said at the time: why? What happens if Vic is out? Why waste so much on someone with no resale value?

We can all be smart with hindsight but this was just so obvious at the time.
His signing was in the context of having just let go of Baka and Biamou, and I don't think many thought that Gyo would improve as rapidly as he did. I can still see the justification behind why it was done at the time.

I mean in the summer we'll be letting go or sending back:

Waghorn
Hilssner
DaCosta
Walker
Kelly
Rose or McF
Moore or Wilson
Kane

That's some serious cash tied up over the course of a season on players we don't want. On top of all that now we have O'Hare who won't be back up to speed until this time next year and who is at or near top of the wage bill. His contract's up in 2024-what do we do?

letsallsingtogether

His signing was in the context of having just let go of Baka and Biamou, and I don't think many thought that Gyo would improve as rapidly as he did. I can still see the justification behind why it was done at the time.

I mean in the summer we'll be letting go or sending back:

Waghorn
Hilssner
DaCosta
Walker
Kelly
Rose or McF
Moore or Wilson
Kane

That's some serious cash tied up over the course of a season on players we don't want. On top of all that now we have O'Hare who won't be back up to speed until this time next year and who is at or near top of the wage bill. His contract's up in 2024-what do we do?
Well unless we spend money they will be replaced with like for like so still no better off and proberbly on higher wages.
Let's hope King puts his money where his mouth is, if he does take over gone a bit quiet.

stay_up_skyblues

Well that was like pulling teeth tonight. Flat performance, flat atmosphere and generally boring. Cardiff set up for and got their point. We really had no answer to their parked bus and desperately needed another option in AM or ST as the game wore on. Gladly never see Waghorn in a city shirt again.

covcity4life

We played ok. Doyle and panzo were immense. Rose not far behind. Wilson alert too.

Hamer needs to make that final pass to gyok but he was good otherwise.

Dabo started poor then got better. Palmer had a good game.

We need more in final third. Feel like say this every week.

Take point and clean sheet. Move on

Pusb

JAM See

Felt like there was a lack of urgency in the attack.

We looked like a team that was happy to take a point.

clint van damme

Oh right, this thing where we didn't win so therefore O'Hare is Messi and his finishing is better than Haaland.

I hope you are alright at the moment, some weird posting behaviour from you recently.

Don't want to go all CC4L but I've been right about pretty much everything!

Last edited:

alexccfc99

The season unfortunately I think will fritter out into a pretty run of the mill bottom half championship season

We’re a much poorer team without Cal and tonight showed that desperately

Unless we have (and I shan’t hold my breath) a very positive January window then I think a top half finish would be a great achievement

Such a shame cause there’s the nucleus of a very good team there and with 2/3/4 additions I think we have the potential to be a very good side

Sick Boy

The season unfortunately I think will fritter out into a pretty run of the mill bottom half championship season

Unless we have (and I shan’t hold my breath) a very positive January window then I think a top half finish would be a great achievement

Such a shame cause there’s the nucleus of a very good team there and with 2/3/4 additions I think we have the potential to be a very good side
Agree with this - unfortunately, I’d be amazed if we got investment in January. It really is a shame because with just a couple of million invested wisely we’d have real potential of making the the play-offs.

coop

Why take sheaf off when he was having a good game (yellow card or not) should of took Palmer off.

robbiekeane

Agree. I thought it was rotten luck but it’s what you get when you have a threadbare thin squad and no real options outside of the starting 11 - players are overworked and you get injuries, and when you do get injuries they leave glaring holes

larry_david

2 points dropped and a match, I'm afraid we have to win if we are serious about progression. Lack of depth or not, the bench js there to be utilised.

Having 3 cbs on the field the last 15 mins when Cardiff didn't even cross the half way line.

Waghorn who I think they said touched the ball 7 times in his 'cameo' of which 3 were to give the ball away. Honestly I would put Tavares on instead of him and you can laugh all you want.

Finally I'd have taken Bidwell off and put on Burroughs who can play that side and got him to inject some energy into the team. Personally think Bidwell is getting away with an easy ride here. Started the season well but last night he was pretty poor and has been for a while, certainly in an attacking sense

Sky Blue Harry H

Agreed, although last night (even without Cal) we just needed the rub of the green to have won that game by a couple of goals. Apart from the first 20 mins or so, Cardiff looked poor and the longer the game went on, didn't look like laying a glove on us. Thought the ref was really poor. We need some help in January and MR says we have 2 players lined up (don't k now why, but I wondered if that Norton Cuffy, on loan at Rotherham) might be one? Rotherham fans seem sure that he is being recalled by Arsenal to move to another club in The Championship. As you and others have suggested - the right 2 or 3 players, and we could be one of the best sides in the division.

Mcbean

We don’t have a lot of luck in our side do we whether on or off the pitch ! But I don’t give up on the ones remaining yet , they have shown to be a pretty hardy bunch and Robins is a hard man to kick down PUSB

- I am staggered at the quality of the officials as yet again we were dealt a poor hand last night !

Users who are viewing this thread