An insult to the memory of Jimmy Hill (1 Viewer)

NorthernWisdom

I can see why it would be great if we had a manager who did, but I can also see why things are different now.
Which is also why I mentioned Paul Fletcher.

Not like we had cash then either, not like he actually achieved much in actuality but... small things such as giving tea to those waiting in a queue for tickets one time, putting a badge on the Ricoh despite supposedly not being supposed to... they were a start in making it feel like the people in charge cared about the club (even though many clearly didn't!)

And that wasn't even on the same page as Hill, but he had the same in-your-face I'll make sure people hear about this type of attitude.

The figurehead doesn't have to literally be the manager or chairman, it doesn't even have to be just one person.

But it is about an attitude.

Nick

Administrator

Not like we had cash then either, not like he actually achieved much in actuality but... small things such as giving tea to those waiting in a queue for tickets one time, putting a badge on the Ricoh despite supposedly not being supposed to... they were a start in making it feel like the people in charge cared about the club (even though many clearly didn't!)

And that wasn't even on the same page as Hill, but he had the same in-your-face I'll make sure people hear about this type of attitude.

The figurehead doesn't have to literally be the manager or chairman, it doesn't even have to be just one person.

I agree, I said about that further back about tea and biscuits if people are queing. A freebie if people's tickets get messed up.

That then means people change from "they fucked my order up and I had to go down there" to "fair play, they sorted it and my lad got a free wristband and usb stick". Even the free scarves for a Season ticket stuff.

It isn't hard or expensive to do, it's how you can see the JSB people care about the kids having a good day. (again, it's not SISU getting credit for it).

Sky Blue Kid

Of course the Club do lots and lots of good things in the community like JH did.. There's err, ermm, and don't forget err, hmm, and finally, there's whatsitsname,ummm you know, errrrr!

Nick

Administrator
Of course the Club do lots and lots of good things in the community like JH did.. There's err, ermm, and don't forget err, hmm, and finally, there's whatsitsname,ummm you know, errrrr!

That's exactly why when they do I try to push it...

Sky Blue Kid

I remember Paul Fletcher walking around the Ricoh shaking peoples hands and actually stopping to talk to the fans one on one. He spoke to me on a couple of occasions.....Could you see anyone from SISU ever doing that?... There'd be the smell of burning flesh, and a scorched and scarred gallows in the concorse ;) and fans singing "Twist and Shout"

Nick

Administrator
I remember Paul Fletcher walking around the Ricoh shaking peoples hands and actually stopping to talk to the fans one on one. He spoke to me on a couple of occasions.....Could you see anyone from SISU ever doing that?... There'd be the smell of burning flesh, and a scorched and scarred gallows in the concorse ;) and fans singing "Twist and Shout"

I shake Tim's hand every week before I sit next to him*

*I've never met him, but apparently he does wander about like that.

Grendel

But this thread begins:

Now, VoR may be a bit of an old drama queen ;) but that's not an unreasonable positition for the OP to take, is it?

It's a totally different era and the comparison isn't really valid. Managers now have totally different roles and there is a much bigger divide now between players and fans.

Grendel

Geoffrey Robibnson wants tried to shake my hand in the concourse. I walked the other way quickly.

ccfchoi87

You said something that ultimately is criticism of SISU. Some on here just can't stand by and let that happen.

I wasn't around to see the JH era. It's the ones that were I feel most sorry for.

Yep I feel sorry for those who saw success as opposed to me who has seen 2 top half finished. Also do you just reply to anything Grendel says? Your obsession is embarrassing

Grendel

Yep I feel sorry for those who saw success as opposed to me who has seen 2 top half finished. Also do you just reply to anything Grendel says? Your obsession is embarrassing

What's really embarrassing for Tony is that even the OP agreed with my assessment of hill and his tenure as chairman.

What I do know is that if Tony had been around in 1980 when the ground was deserted and we were entertained with the likes of Steve Jacobs, Dave Bradford and Rudi Kaiser he'd have found a lot of DIY to do as he'd not have been supporting the team.

Grendel

And what exactly has that got to do with Paul Fletcher?

Paul fletcher criticised the council I'm an interview and was classified by some as a senile fool who didn't know what he was talking about on here.

I've met him and he has some interesting perceptions of certain characters. He'd be viewed as out of touch a sisu puppet and a fool by most on here.

Sky Blue Kid

Paul fletcher criticised the council I'm an interview and was classified by some as a senile fool who didn't know what he was talking about on here.

I've met him and he has some interesting perceptions of certain characters. He'd be viewed as out of touch a sisu puppet and a fool by most on here.

I'd say NW's perception of Paul Fletcher is accurate, and the man has got more balls than any SISU boardroom buddies.

Grendel

I'd say NW's perception of Paul Fletcher is accurate, and the man has got more balls than any SISU boardroom buddies.

You should get to know him then - his views on certain players in this game may change your views on whose really to blame for this debacle.

Grendel

I don't need to meet him again thanks. I gleened enough information to deduce what is going on.

Do you agree with Paul Fletchers views on CC council? When did you meet with him out of interest?

rondog1973

What's really embarrassing for Tony is that even the OP agreed with my assessment of hill and his tenure as chairman.

What I do know is that if Tony had been around in 1980 when the ground was deserted and we were entertained with the likes of Steve Jacobs, Dave Bradford and Rudi Kaiser he'd have found a lot of DIY to do as he'd not have been supporting the team.
1980?

I attended a Cov vs Liverpool fixture in 1980 (Paul Dyson got the winner) and the crowd was over 30,000 I believe.

Tonylinc

That game took place on the 19th January 1980 and Paul Dyson did indeed score the winner. The crowd.....31,578

skybluetony176

I think the OP agreed with what you said he got wrong. In actual fact I didn't disagree with you on them either. What I did disagree with you on is comparing JH to SISU by saying this "However, in his capacity as chairman there were similarities" JH got things wrong believing that he was acting in the best interests of the club. Surely to god even you can recognise that? SISU have got things wrong by deliberately not acting in the best interests of the club. Surely to god even you can recognise that? If you are capable of recognising both those points then there are no similarities are there? There coincidental mistakes but the mistakes started from a different place entirely. Plus you best remind me of this American franchise that SISU lost CCFC's money on as that was in your list of similarities. That "similarity" seems to have passed me by.

Oh and for some balance perhaps you could do a list of things that JH got right as chairman and put that up against a list of things SISU have got right during their ownership. If you're interested in balance that is. I suspect JH's list will be considerably longer than SISU's so no doubt you'll give it a dodge and probably mention something about me doing DIY instead.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

UNTIED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL ! ! ! :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Users who are viewing this thread