Anyone else dreading the BBC classic remakes? (1 Viewer)

Otis

Let things be I say.

Paul Merton had a go with old Galton and Simpson scripts and failed.

Think things are of their time and should be left alone.

Hancock's Half Hour

Til Death us do Part

And

Steptoe and Son

All being remade.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Steptoe and son is still brilliant to watch but can't see how it will work with a new cast

Sky_Blue_Daz

Otis you need to dust off the typewriter and draft a script

vow

I wasn't aware the Beeb were doing re-makes, but yes, I'll be dreading them.

They always turn out shite, as BBR said, Leave 'em alone!

Sky_Blue_Daz

Was watching an episode of curb your enthusiasm a while back a character was a kamikazee pilot who missed he tried to run Larry over in his wheelchair but missed him too
You could tweak that Otis

mrtrench

I'm looking forward to them - they've been doing Hancock's Half Hour on the radio for a few weeks and it's very good.

Otis

Hmm, time will tell I guess.

Just can't see how they can pull it off.

Am guessing though that they might have more success with Hancock because so few people of this current generation would have seen it the original.

Steptoe and Son has been repeated regularly and Alf Garnett also went on to do In Sickness and in Health.

Sky_Blue_Daz

I remember in sickness and in health being on in the late 80s

Sky_Blue_Daz

Bonus point if anyone can name Alfs love interest who lived upstairs
It wasn't marigold

Gazolba

<snip>

Think things are of their time and should be left alone.

Hancock's Half Hour

Til Death us do Part

And

Steptoe and Son

All being remade.
No doubt to be remade as:
Hancock's 45 minutes with commercials
Til Divorce Us Do Part
Steptoe and Transgender Daughter

Just watched Hancock's "Blood Donor" on Youtube. Bloody brilliant!

Otis

No doubt to be remade as:
Hancock's 45 minutes with commercials
Til Divorce Us Do Part
Steptoe and Transgender Daughter

Just watched Hancock's "Blood Donor" on Youtube. Bloody brilliant!
It is. A true classic.

Sky_Blue_Daz

Has anyone seen the cast for the Are you being served remake?

Otis

Yep.

I used to like it when I was a child, but now looking back on it I now think it was quite dreadful.

The same joke about Mrs. Slocombe's pussy and loads of queer jokes at the expense of John Inman every week.

Otis

Just had a quick look and it seems the BBC didn't keep any of the stuff he did, so it is lost forever.

Wasn't he a bit of a one liner wordsmith?

Gazolba

Did anybody find Harry Worth funny ?
I remember him but can't remember if he was that funny. Some of the funniest guys were Spike Milligan, Michael Bentine, Arthur Haynes, Dick Emery. Take a look at Pakistani Daleks on Youtube:

Last edited:

Gazolba

Yep.

I used to like it when I was a child, but now looking back on it I now think it was quite dreadful.

The same joke about Mrs. Slocombe's pussy and loads of queer jokes at the expense of John Inman every week.
That's true, but the character development was brilliant and the way it captured the stuffiness of the 1950's department store was priceless. Toward the end, it went too far with the outlandish plots and costumes. Still one of the classic British TV programs of all time.

Otis

That's true, but the character development was brilliant and the way it captured the stuffiness of the 1950's department store was priceless. Toward the end, it went too far with the outlandish plots and costumes. Still one of the classic British TV programs of all time.
I agree how it captured the department store and the class system, but not sure I agree on the character development. Found many of the characters such as Mrs. Slocombe, Mr. Humphries and Capt. Peacock all very, very one dimensional, personally.

Do have to say though, I am not a big fan of Perry and Croft at all anyway and I think that only Dad's Army stands out of theirs.

Ain't Half Hot Mum, Hi Di Hi, Are you Being Served and Allo Allo, I all find very poor.

One of the worst faults for me with Perry and Croft is their characters, many one which just seem to be a series of catchphrases with next to no depth whatsoever.

Where's the richness and depth of a Del Boy, or a Basil Fawlty, or a Rigsby, or a Fletcher. The characters in Porridge especially I find so richly drawn and it is just as brilliant today as it was back then.

Each and every to their own though.

Will watch Are You Being Served, but mainly out of morbid curiosity.

NorthernWisdom

Do have to say though, I am not a big fan of Perry and Croft at all and I think that only Dad's Army stands out.

Dad's Army declined to catchphrase after a while, too.

Think it's more they didn't know when to quit so just kept going rather than anything else. I know it's only half of 'em, but 'Allo 'Allo had the same problem. Early series are superb, and then it just becomes catchphrase central!

Users who are viewing this thread