Anyone else dreading the BBC classic remakes? (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Daz

Is he only 55 ?
God I thought he was much older then that.

Johnnythespider

Yeah, I liked it.

First few mins in I though it was going to be naff, but the script kept me interested and I thought Simon Day did a very good job. He did lack the anger of Warren Michell, who you used to see stewing in his own juices.

The let down for me was the missus, who I thought wasn't a patch on Dandy Nicholls
It was the opposite for me Otis, I thought Simon Day missed the point of Alf completely, I just didn't feel it. Whereas I thought the Dandy Nicholls character was played well.
Maybe the TDDUP suffered because it was from an original script and there was a direct comparison to be made with the original.
I quite enjoyed the Young Hyacinth one last night and could see that going to a series.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Sky_Blue_Daz

I didn't like the format of Till death do us part at all

Quite enjoyed the goodnight sweat heart episode though

Otis

Maybe it was just me and my family then.

I quite liked it, but my mum and dad who watched it all through the 60's and 70's absolutely loved it.

Get the point on Simon Day. I thought it was a good portrayal but it did lack the heart and guts of Alf and it did seem to be by numbers at times.

No-one could do pent up frustration quite like Warren Mitchell.

Saw a good review on the internet, but then also came across a scathing one in the Telegraph. Thing is though, this particular reviewer really detested and hated the original and called it a repulsive programme. Hardly going to like this new one was he!!

We then obviously get on to the debate about Johnny Speight. He always maintained that he wanted to show Alf and racism for the thing it was and you were supposed to see Alf as a pitiful misguided creature rather than laugh with him.

This Telegraph guy obviously believed the latter.

I was only young when I first watched it but I thought at the time that I totally got it.

What does everyone think?

I know stuff like Love thy Neighbour gets tremendous stick these days, but in the whole I think TDUDP appears to escape the scathing criticism.

chiefdave

No-one could do pent up frustration quite like Warren Mitchell.
That's the problem really, no matter who played Alf or how well they did it they wouldn't be Warren Mitchell.
We then obviously get on to the debate about Johnny Speight. He always maintained that he wanted to show Alf and racism for the thing it was and you were supposed to see Alf as a pitiful misguided creature rather than laugh with him.
I thought the documentary after was going to look at that. They had Adil Ray (Citizen Khan writer and actor) and Trix Worrell (Desmonds writer) on who both said it was just a reflection of how things were at the time. Shame it was only a 5 min thing.
Graham Linehan made an interesting point that although he was a horrible person you had to on some level like Alf otherwise the program wouldn't have been popular.

Otis

That's the problem really, no matter who played Alf or how well they did it they wouldn't be Warren Mitchell.

I thought the documentary after was going to look at that. They had Adil Ray (Citizen Khan writer and actor) and Trix Worrell (Desmonds writer) on who both said it was just a reflection of how things were at the time. Shame it was only a 5 min thing.
Graham Linehan made an interesting point that although he was a horrible person you had to on some level like Alf otherwise the program wouldn't have been popular.
Hmm, yeah, but I think Speight deliberately made him a Tory and then the show was pitched for and at the working classes. Think that created a lot of hatred towards the character and our house was all Labour, so definitely a figure to be reviled and not be rooting for.

Everything about the character was wrong, racist, sexist, bigoted; ignorant, rude, selfish. There was nothing to like about Alf and therefore it was a puzzlement as to why some of the audience associated with him and his views.

Terry Gibson's perm

Looking forward to itv doing the same and bringing back The Gaffer and crossroads;)

Otis

How can Channel 4 rekindle US shows?

Been plenty of talk of a Friend's reunion, but hopefully it will never happen.

Remaking Fraser would be a total disaster in my opinion.

SkyblueBazza

Under licence???

Frasier has to be one of if not THE best US sitcoms ever. So...out there! Like an episode this morning where every opportunity he got despite the circumstance he levelled a complaint about his cabin on a cruise ship. Just brilliant constant snipes.

...onwards & upwards PUSB

Terry Gibson's perm

Loved drop the dead donkey (especially the dark haired girl) but they are all to old now. I don't think Friends will as they are all still making a fortune from it with the re-runs. With you on Fraiser it would be a disaster as would Cheers.

What about an early life one foot in the grave or although I didn't like it Minder

Edit. Joy played by Susanha Doyle.

SkyblueBazza

Loved drop the dead donkey (especially the dark haired girl) but they are all to old now. I don't think Friends will as they are all still making a fortune from it with the re-runs. With you on Fraiser it would be a disaster as would Cheers.

What about an early life one foot in the grave or although I didn't like it Minder

Edit. Joy played by Susanha Doyle.
OF&H didn't work either did it? Whatever that was called.

Hyacinth seemed ok last night though imo...just lightweight easy viewing titter type stuff.

Otis

Under licence???

Frasier has to be one of if not THE best US sitcoms ever. So...out there! Like an episode this morning where every opportunity he got despite the circumstance he levelled a complaint about his cabin on a cruise ship. Just brilliant constant snipes.

Under licence?

For big US shows I would guess that costing mega bucks.

Not sure what American shows would work over here. Maybe The Office and All in the Family, but not convinced..

Terry Gibson's perm

OF&H didn't work either did it? Whatever that was called.

Hyacinth seemed ok last night though imo...just lightweight easy viewing titter type stuff.

Only seen the Porridge one so far have good night sweetheart to watch, but the miserable one is sitting in the lounge watching some crap and refusing to watch it, I am stuck in the kids play room

chiefdave

Loved drop the dead donkey (especially the dark haired girl) but they are all to old now.
Drop the Dead Donkey would be pretty easy to reboot with a new cast. Was hoping we might get something along those lines off the back of Ballot Monkeys.

Jenkin and Hamilton still work together and do shows for Hat Trick so its not out of the question.

Terry Gibson's perm

Drop the Dead Donkey would be pretty easy to reboot with a new cast. Was hoping we might get something along those lines off the back of Ballot Monkeys.

Jenkin and Hamilton still work together and do shows for Hat Trick so its not out of the question.

They could do it based on the Telegraph instead of Globelink:)

Terry Gibson's perm

Just watched Goodnight Sweetheart and thought it was good and wouldn't be surprised if they brought it back.

Malaka

Just thought you guys like to know that on Dave they are showing a new series of Red Dwarf this month. It is still funny today IMO

Otis

Anyone else watch Hancock's Half Hour? Was on at 9 tonight.

I quite enjoyed it and I thought Kevin McNally's portrayal of Hancock was very good indeed, as was the guy who played Kenneth Williams.

John Culshaw's Sid James was rather odd though and it only seemed to be the laugh that was identifiable. His voice seemed very strange.

I did laugh quite a bit at it all though, so a successful recreation I think.

SkyblueBazza

Agree the guy playing KW was very very good. I got the Sid James bit myself. Overall verdict for me a very definite
Didn't get a proper laugh from it at all sadly.

Gazolba

<snip>

Quite enjoyed the goodnight sweat heart episode though

Is that the show where they are whisked back in time while running on the treadmill?

dutchman

Just thought you guys like to know that on Dave they are showing a new series of Red Dwarf this month. It is still funny today IMO
Would have been nice if they'd repeated the original episodes in chronological order instead of jumping from the season finalé of Series 1 to the season premiere of Series 3 with no explanation of where Holly Mk2, Crichton Mk2 and the Starbug came from.

Otis

Agree the guy playing KW was very very good. I got the Sid James bit myself. Overall verdict for me a very definite
Didn't get a proper laugh from it at all sadly.

Thing is, McNally sounded just like Tony Hancock and the bloke playing Kenneth Williams sounded just like Kenneth Williams and there was a touch of Hattie Jacques from Katy Wix, but Culshaw sounded nothing at all like Sid James.

It was just a weird sounding voice he put on. Just looked at some of the critical reviews and they seemed to have a problem with Culshaw's Sid James too.

Anyway, so enjoyed the thing over all and you have to remember that this is a script from the 1950's, so it was always going to be dated.

Not expecting Steptoe and Son to be any great shakes. Guessing that must be next week.

Users who are viewing this thread