Anyone else had this cold, headaches chest infection thing (2 Viewers)

Manchester_sky_blue

Another week on now and no real improvement. Still coughing my guts up every few mins, still can't sleep lying down. Debating going back to the GP but nothing they have given me so far has made any difference at all so don't know as it's worth it. The X ray, CT scan and bloods showed that I had had a bacterial infection but that it had cleared, which suggests that the original virus which started it all is still lingering. The A&E consultant did tell me it might be as much as 16 weeks to get back to normal but having done 6 weeks now I absolutely cannot do another 10 if he's right. I'm exhausted and miserable

Manchester_sky_blue

Good job I did go back to the GP today. Got yet another bacterial chest infection and he's diagnosed me with sinusitis too. More antibiotics, steroid tablets and a steroid nasal spray. Yay!!.........😕

aloisiwouldhavescored

I started a cold/flu 3 weeks ago now and then my other half contracted it a week later. So at least we can keep each other company sniffing and sneezing around the place! We both worked full time for 50 years and never got anything as bad as this. Pouring nose (have kept Kleenex in business) sinus problems and headaches, upset stomach, hardly eating anything but plenty of hot drinks.

Not been going out, dosed ourselves up with various medicines, hot lemon, blocked nose spray, paracetamol etc., but the tiredness, some days can hardly drag ourselves around.

Not bothered going to our GP, you can never get an appointment there anyway.

The last few days have both started feeling a tiny (and I mean tiny) bit better,, but it's just dragging on and on and on.

Let's hope we start improving soon so we can get back to normal

OffenhamSkyBlue

My missus has had a chesty cough for about 4 weeks. She was diagnosed the first time at the GP with a chest infection (no shit, Sherlock) and gave her 5 days of doxycycline. Didn't touch it so she rang the GP again and a different doctor gave her amoxicillin for 5 days. Didn't touch it. Saw another doctor yesterday and he has put her on high-strength clarithromycin (usually used for pneumonia) and referred her for an "urgent" chest x-ray. Despite being able to cross the road to the minor injuries unit, she has to wait for them to write to her with an appointment, then i guess it will be another week before they bother to send the results back to the GP. Some fucking urgency!
Poor lass. All the while Covid negative.
Missus got the "urgent" x-ray appointment through - 7th March!
Brilliant!

skybluetony176

Sounds like I got lucky with it. Still coughing shit up 2 weeks later and it’s still irritating my asthma but compared to some of here not bad at all. The wife was bad but is now recovering following a course of antibiotics and unfortunately a family get together turned out to be a super spreader event and the mother in law is really struggling. She’s had 2 courses of antibiotics and just started a course of steroids.

chiefdave

Missus got the "urgent" x-ray appointment through - 7th March!
Brilliant!
Are you going to Walsgrave? Try Rugby instead, you can pretty much turn up without and appointment and get an xray on the spot.

My GP advised me to try there when there was a wait at Walsgrave. Was pre-Covid so may have changed

Terry_dactyl

Back to the GP today. He’s given me a different batch of “very strong” antibiotics.
Confirmed it’s Pneumonia.
He said if it hasn’t give by next week I’ll be off for an X-Ray.
The confusion is the strangest symptom.

Hertsccfc

Back to the GP today. He’s given me a different batch of “very strong” antibiotics.
Confirmed it’s Pneumonia.
He said if it hasn’t give by next week I’ll be off for an X-Ray.
The confusion is the strangest symptom.
Sounds awful mate. Hope you and the others on this thread suffering these symptoms recover as soon as possible.

OffenhamSkyBlue

Wife update - the "very strong" antibiotics (clarithromycin), normally used to treat pneumonia, have done fuck-all, despite her being on the highest dose for a week. Unless she has TB or the plague, it ain't bacterial!
Her coughing is tiring ME out listening to it; she must be exhausted!

Manchester_sky_blue

Pleased to report that these latest set of 3rd line antibiotics together with the steroids do seem to finally be doing the trick. By no means back to normal but the last few days is the best I've felt since this all started. Cough is less frequent and markedly less violent. Even managed to sleep lying down last night albeit I did wake coughing at one point in the small hours. Only worry is the drugs run out tomorrow so just got to hope they've got rid of all of it

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

Sick again.

Started with my throat going, then my head clouding over. Nose blocked, chest trying to get everything out but it is a wheeze and coarse. I want to carve open my chest and rip my lungs out. I thought it had levelled today but now it has gone into overdrive. Shivering and sensitive to light and noise. No energy to get out of bed. I am conscious I am just moaning and that what has happened to some on here is considerably worse, but fuck me I am sick of this now. Literally. I cannot stay well for more than about six weeks at a time.

robbiekeane

Fucking horrendous cold/flu something or other after a week in cov. Never had anything like it it was worse than covid for me. Today the first day I’m feeling human after starting to feel like shit last Monday.

Nose completely congested, throat swollen, headache, ears popping, pressure behind my eyes. Chesty cough, had to get my inhaler out first time since 2020.

The amount of stuff coming out my nose you wouldn’t believe

12 hour flight was fun

Terry_dactyl

Wife update - the "very strong" antibiotics (clarithromycin), normally used to treat pneumonia, have done fuck-all, despite her being on the highest dose for a week. Unless she has TB or the plague, it ain't bacterial!
Her coughing is tiring ME out listening to it; she must be exhausted!
That’s what they’ve got me on. I’m on day 2 and a half of a 7 day course.
i hope she gets the right treatment soon and starts feeling better.

OffenhamSkyBlue

That’s what they’ve got me on. I’m on day 2 and a half of a 7 day course.
i hope she gets the right treatment soon and starts feeling better.
Thanks Terry!

GP has now given her a salbutamol inhaler with a face mask attachment. May help, but he admitted he doesn't know what is going on!

One thing that may be a coincidence is that the GP started her on blood pressure medication about the same time the cough started. He says that class of BP meds does not cause a cough as a side-effect ... but doing some digging on the web suggests it might be a more common effect than documented.
If any of you are on BP medication, that may be something to consider????

Manchester_sky_blue

Thanks Terry!

GP has now given her a salbutamol inhaler with a face mask attachment. May help, but he admitted he doesn't know what is going on!

One thing that may be a coincidence is that the GP started her on blood pressure medication about the same time the cough started. He says that class of BP meds does not cause a cough as a side-effect ... but doing some digging on the web suggests it might be a more common effect than documented.
If any of you are on BP medication, that may be something to consider????
I'm not on any BP meds but my BP has been high ever since this lurgy started, having never been high before.

Feeling better again today but drugs have now run out and I'm conscious that I've thought I was getting better before only to go down hill again.

Terry_dactyl

I’m in the 6th week of being off work. I’m now waiting on chest xray result. I’ve been dizzy as fuck today, and quite nauseous at times.
This is the longest I’ve ever been off. GP said it’s pneumonia and that I need to keep on at them…I’ll be trying to go back tomorrow.

wingy

I’m in the 6th week of being off work. I’m now waiting on chest xray result. I’ve been dizzy as fuck today, and quite nauseous at times.
This is the longest I’ve ever been off. GP said it’s pneumonia and that I need to keep on at them…I’ll be trying to go back tomorrow.
You really should get down to the emergency room by the sounds of that.

Alkhen

Well this thread has terrified me.

Daughter was ill 2 weeks ago. Is feeling better but has a lingering cough.

The wife and me both got ill Friday. Totally zapped any energy we had. Confined to bed most of the weekend, had fevers at some points too. Both now have hacking coughs and low energy. Seems worse at night.

Walked up a small hill earlier and it nearly did me in. Had to stop and take a breather.

Apparently there is a massive wave of Whooping Cough at the moment. Not something I thought about since we had little babies but it's a really nasty illness by all accounts and particularly lingering. I was wondering if it's that.

Like others have said it's a joke to get an appointment so was just sitting it out. May try if people have been suffering so long 😔

LastGarrison

I came back at the weekend after being overseas for work and had got the cough back in a massive way and felt rotten. Could hear my chest wheezing, was knackered etc.

My cough was so bad that the Missus pushed me to ring the docs Monday morning and I managed to get an appointment a few hours later. I explained I'd been away, coughing etc. and she had a quick listen to my chest told me it was completely clear and that I had "Post Nasal Drip" where basically all the mucus in my nose and throat was dripping onto my trachea and irritating it and causing me to cough. She prescribed a nasal spray and said to treat it like hayfever so also take antihistimines and three days later I am significantly better and my cough is slowly subsiding.

6 weeks I put up with this previously so if anyone is still struggling it might be worth trying to clear out with nasal sprays, antihistimines, olbus oil in hot water etc.

Terry_dactyl

I came back at the weekend after being overseas for work and had got the cough back in a massive way and felt rotten. Could hear my chest wheezing, was knackered etc.

My cough was so bad that the Missus pushed me to ring the docs Monday morning and I managed to get an appointment a few hours later. I explained I'd been away, coughing etc. and she had a quick listen to my chest told me it was completely clear and that I had "Post Nasal Drip" where basically all the mucus in my nose and throat was dripping onto my trachea and irritating it and causing me to cough. She prescribed a nasal spray and said to treat it like hayfever so also take antihistimines and three days later I am significantly better and my cough is slowly subsiding.

6 weeks I put up with this previously so if anyone is still struggling it might be worth trying to clear out with nasal sprays, antihistimines, olbus oil in hot water etc.
For me it’s not so much the cough…although I have one from time-to-time…my chest is also quite crackly at times. It’s more feeling kinda tired, slightly nauseous and bewildered. although this also fluctuates throughout the day. I might have an hour or so of clarity and think ‘what am I doing being off’ but then will feel like I haven’t got a clue what the hell I’m doing. It’s very weird.

Manchester_sky_blue

For me it’s not so much the cough…although I have one from time-to-time…my chest is also quite crackly at times. It’s more feeling kinda tired, slightly nauseous and bewildered. although this also fluctuates throughout the day. I might have an hour or so of clarity and think ‘what am I doing being off’ but then will feel like I haven’t got a clue what the hell I’m doing. It’s very weird.
That's just your age mate 🤣

No seriously, it sounds very much like your dehydrated which is easy done when you have cold/flu. Even if we think we are drinking plenty it's easy to lose fluids because of all the other gunk that's coming out and especially if you have a slight fever. Try upping your general fluid intake and also get some isotonic drinks down ya and see if it makes any difference.

Manchester_sky_blue

Touchwood..... But I think I'm finally over it now. The last few weeks have been slow and steady improvements but this week has been the first time I've felt like I can actually take a proper breath. Played badminton tonight for the first time since just before Christmas and lived to tell the tale so I'm taking that as good news.

Hope everyone still suffering gets well soon.

Terry_dactyl

Glad to hear you’re all cleared up.

I’ve been really trying drink more and have been applying the ‘Reds Johnson pee test’.

I’ll up the ante!

Edit: you’re not wrong about the age thing! I’m falling apart!

messiahrobins

I am not vaccinated and have not been ill for years. I do wonder if this illness that so many have had is more virulent in those who are vaccinated perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread