Best TV shows or movies you can recommend (5 Viewers)

clint van damme

Just getting back to Fargo, I loved the first series but never bothered with the rest. Are they standalone series or do you have to watch them all in order?

Standalone. Totally separate story lines.
Though a bit like true detective, what followed the incredible first series was mixed to sat the least.
I'd jump straight to 5!

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

Shogun on Disney+.
Saw the trailer and that it was getting good reviews, and I'm already hooked in after one episode.
Feels like a movie budget has been used for a TV series, the setting and CGI is really impressive so far
Planning to start this soon, fully expecting to get all nostalgic and start playing Shogun:Total War soon afterwards 😂.

I've just finished series 1 of The Bear and really recommend that. First episode drops you straight in with very little explained but i was hooked and have loved it so far. Series 2 alao available on Disney+ plus i may have a look at Shogun first for some variety.

• Love
Reactions: AOM

ajsccfc

I loved S2 of Fargo in particular, but it was the first one I watched which is probably quite a big part of it. Still got to catch up on 4 and 5.

Wasn't sure about Kin after the first episode as it felt like it was veering towards soap opera, but we've just watched the third and I'm in. The chap playing Jimmy is really good in anything I've seen him in, which you can't often say about someone who's been in Hollyoaks.

AOM

Planning to start this soon, fully expecting to get all nostalgic and start playing Shogun:Total War soon afterwards 😂.

I've just finished series 1 of The Bear and really recommend that. First episode drops you straight in with very little explained but i was hooked and have loved it so far. Series 2 alao available on Disney+ plus i may have a look at Shogun first for some variety.

A Shameful Display!
Not played Shogun 2 for years, might have to reinstall it

A few have mentioned The Bear on this thread so I'll have to give it a go, thanks

Razzle Dazzle Dean Gordon

I loved S2 of Fargo in particular, but it was the first one I watched which is probably quite a big part of it. Still got to catch up on 4 and 5.

Wasn't sure about Kin after the first episode as it felt like it was veering towards soap opera, but we've just watched the third and I'm in. The chap playing Jimmy is really good in anything I've seen him in, which you can't often say about someone who's been in Hollyoaks.
I liked Series 2 of Kin more than the first (which i also liked). I quite liked the fact that I didn't really warm to many of the characters generally, very much like the Sopranos was for me, they're a pretty horrible bunch really.

ajsccfc

I liked Series 2 of Kin more than the first (which i also liked). I quite liked the fact that I didn't really warm to many of the characters generally, very much like the Sopranos was for me, they're a pretty horrible bunch really.

I'll add spoilers just in case

I'm the same already, it felt like Michael was going to be a very sympathetic character and there are still elements of that but he didn't take too much convincing to kill the chap in the middle of a busy pub

Mcbean

Fargo 5 a right boiler - loving the great characters extreme to say the least

Last edited:

Mr Panda

Shogun on Disney+.
Saw the trailer and that it was getting good reviews, and I'm already hooked in after one episode.
Feels like a movie budget has been used for a TV series, the setting and CGI is really impressive so far
Watched epsiode one off the back of this recommendation - thankyou!

Excited to carry on

Reactions: AOM

chiefdave

Glitch is a good watch. The guy who plays the cop in it also has a couple of decent comedy shows on iplayer, Colin from Accounts and No Activity

Otis

Just been watching Halo.

Passable entertainment. Very predictable though and these futuristic things that lack any imagination of the future do annoy me.

Set 500 years in the future, yet drones are still the same size as they are now, the weapons still seem to be machines guns, the contact devices, still the same size as mobile phones and they have lifts that are still lifts and doors that still open like elevator doors.

Considering how far we have come just in the last 100 years, you would think they would show a bit more imagination.

Surely computers and technology will be built into us and we will be like walking smart phones and if there are still drones, they would probably be the size of a pinhead at best.

So many sci fi shows fall into this same lazy, trap and it does pee me off.

Rant over. 🤪

Still watching it all though. 🙄

shmmeee

Just been watching Halo.

Passable entertainment. Very predictable though and these futuristic things that lack any imagination of the future do annoy me.

Set 500 years in the future, yet drones are still the same size as they are now, the weapons still seem to be machines guns, the contact devices, still the same size as mobile phones and they have lifts that are still lifts and doors that still open like elevator doors.

Considering how far we have come just in the last 100 years, you would think they would show a bit more imagination.

Surely computers and technology will be built into us and we will be like walking smart phones and if there are still drones, they would probably be the size of a pinhead at best.

So many sci fi shows fall into this same lazy, trap and it does pee me off.

Rant over. 🤪

Still watching it all though. 🙄

This is why you should always go “alternate universe” instead of far future. Removes all these plot holes. The CRT green screens in 70s and 80s sci fi and the robot voices that we’d surpassed in about ten years from the shows release always tickled me.

duffer

This is why you should always go “alternate universe” instead of far future. Removes all these plot holes. The CRT green screens in 70s and 80s sci fi and the robot voices that we’d surpassed in about ten years from the shows release always tickled me.

Yep, and as soon as you bring in Time Travel (e.g. original Star Trek), or brought someone back from the dead (e.g. Game of Thrones), you've reduced jeopardy and diminished the story, imho.

The best "Phew, it was all a bad dream" catastrophe scenario was done in Captain Scarlet I reckon, in the episode when the Mysterons finally killed him and destroyed Cloudbase. Now there's a proper show. 😄

JAM See

Yep, and as soon as you bring in Time Travel (e.g. original Star Trek), or brought someone back from the dead (e.g. Game of Thrones), you've reduced jeopardy and diminished the story, imho.

The best "Phew, it was all a bad dream" catastrophe scenario was done in Captain Scarlet I reckon, in the episode when the Mysterons finally killed him and destroyed Cloudbase. Now there's a proper show. 😄
I'll see your Captain Scarlet and raise you Dallas.

Otis

Extraordinary series 2 is out.

Loved the first series. About a girl where everyone has a superpower except herself. Very funny in places.

Mcbean

Just watched Poor things - pretty whacky story and set - was not quite expecting that 😀 quite enjoyed it though - she has a lovely body even if she is home made !

Otis

Just watched Poor things - pretty whacky story and set - was not quite expecting that 😀 quite enjoyed it though - she has a lovely body even if she is home made !
She's fabulous in it isn't she.

It wasn't what I was expecting either. Wacky, but not as bizarre as I thought it was going to be.

Looks sumptuous too.

Mcbean

She's fabulous in it isn't she.

It wasn't what I was expecting either. Wacky, but not as bizarre as I thought it was going to be.

Looks sumptuous too.
No wonder it won quite a lot of awards - wasn’t sure my wife was going to get through it but gradually she took to it - not sure the request for furious jumping will be taken up

Users who are viewing this thread