Biamou still has lots to offer (1 Viewer)

shmmeee

O’Hare should have 4 or 5 this season, but you cant blame any forward players for not scoring in this team. They’re a complete afterthought, expected to work miracles.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

O’Hare should have 4 or 5 this season, but you cant blame any forward players for not scoring in this team. They’re a complete afterthought, expected to work miracles.

I do agree, the set up hardly favours creating chances, but I would say even when we won the league we were hardly creating buckets. The difference was we had a striker who buried the vast majority of his chances. We’re now playing with one who misses the vast majority of his. The second most forward player, Cal, also misses most of his. If Godden had been fit we probably wouldn’t be saying the forwards are an after thought, but largely due to his clinical nature than the way the team sets up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shmmeee

I do agree, the set up hardly favours creating chances, but I would say even when we won the league we were hardly creating buckets. The difference was we had a striker who buried the vast majority of his chances. We’re now playing with one who misses the vast majority of his. The second most forward player, Cal, also misses most of his. If Godden had been fit we probably wouldn’t be saying the forwards are an after thought, but largely due to his clinical nature than the way the team sets up.

We were 7th for chances created last season, this year we are 21st.

We also were 20th for chances conceded last year and 7th this year.

Godden and Walker still out away the chances. They just don’t get many (especially from sitting on the bench)

procdoc

We were 7th for chances created last season, this year we are 21st.

We also were 20th for chances conceded last year and 7th this year.

Godden and Walker still out away the chances. They just don’t get many (especially from sitting on the bench)
Anyone would think we have gone up to a much better league with basically the same league one squad

mds

Anyone would think we have gone up to a much better league with basically the same league one squad
And yet we manage to give most of the established sides a good game, letting ourselves down with silly mistakes, schoolboy error stuff as much or maybe even more than we have been outplayed and made to look inferior.

procdoc

And yet we manage to give most of the established sides a good game, letting ourselves down with silly mistakes, schoolboy error stuff as much or maybe even more than we have been outplayed and made to look inferior.
That’s a good point. I think there’s a lot of naivety

Otis

He's just not a goalscorer. Not up to Championship standard unfortunately and not a goalscorer.

It's a pity. I like him, but this is no time for sentiment.

If he's staying, he needs to be someone we throw on with 10 mins left or suchlike.

chiefdave

He's not up to Championship standard. At best he's a 4th / 5th choice and that's possibly being generous. But Robins knows that doesn't he? Hence him being told in the summer he was nowhere near the squad and could leave.

Or do we really think Robins has seen something this season which has caused him to think Biamou is now first choice and so good Walker and Godden should be sat on the bench? Or is it more likely that Walker and Godden aren't fully fit and only on the bench out of necessity?

The bigger question is what has happened to Baka. Is he fully fit and not even making the bench? Although saying that I doubt anyone is clamouring for him to come in thinking he can save our season.

fatso

He's not up to Championship standard. At best he's a 4th / 5th choice and that's possibly being generous. But Robins knows that doesn't he? Hence him being told in the summer he was nowhere near the squad and could leave.

Or do we really think Robins has seen something this season which has caused him to think Biamou is now first choice and so good Walker and Godden should be sat on the bench? Or is it more likely that Walker and Godden aren't fully fit and only on the bench out of necessity?

The bigger question is what has happened to Baka. Is he fully fit and not even making the bench? Although saying that I doubt anyone is clamouring for him to come in thinking he can save our season.
To be honest, if you dont play 2 strikers at home against wycombe, you deserve the sack.

I'm not saying he should be sacked, but you would struggle to argue against the decision based on this seasons performances, team selections and tactics.

skyblu3sk

Just my view on it. He doesn't get pushed off the ball as easy as Walker or Godden so against physical sides we need him on the pitch if we aren't going to be playing it on the floor as much which the pitch isn't really allowing for at the moment. I think neither Walker or Godden are fit however in our current state I'd prefer we went 2 up front with each playing a half alongside Biamou. We risk them getting re-injured but if we don't we risk going down as Biamou isn't a finisher. Also I don't think Godden or Walker have as much pace as Biamou which I didn't realise until recently.

Frostie

To be honest, if you dont play 2 strikers at home against wycombe, you deserve the sack.

Yeah definitely... Thomas Frank should have been sacked by Brentford for not playing 2 strikers against them too.
Sure, they won the game & put 7 past them in the process with 1 striker but posters on here know better.

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Yeah definitely... Thomas Frank should have been sacked by Brentford for not playing 2 strikers against them too.
Sure, they won the game & put 7 past them in the process with 1 striker but posters on here know better.

The two up front thing is the biggest myth on this site. We beat this exact team 1-4 last season with one up top. Having two strikers on the pitch means nothing if you can’t get the ball to them or midfielders up to support them. I bet Man City fans are constantly livid with being top of the league and largely playing 0 strikers! Imagine.
There are currently huge issues with how we are playing, the fact we didn’t have two strikers today isn’t one of them, the choice of the one striker, well that’s for another thread.

Otis

If we are wanting Baka to save our season we are doomed.

wingy

Just my view on it. He doesn't get pushed off the ball as easy as Walker or Godden so against physical sides we need him on the pitch if we aren't going to be playing it on the floor as much which the pitch isn't really allowing for at the moment. I think neither Walker or Godden are fit however in our current state I'd prefer we went 2 up front with each playing a half alongside Biamou. We risk them getting re-injured but if we don't we risk going down as Biamou isn't a finisher. Also I don't think Godden or Walker have as much pace as Biamou which I didn't realise until recently.
I'd accept the pitch may be part of the equation for the whole team.

I'm really not sure that Walker is not fit

I also think the chances of MG contributing significantly with time on the pitch thus chances to score are in the lap of the gods and at best unlikely .

Frostie

The two up front thing is the biggest myth on this site. We beat this exact team 1-4 last season with one up top. Having two strikers on the pitch means nothing if you can’t get the ball to them or midfielders up to support them. I bet Man City fans are constantly livid with being top of the league and largely playing 0 strikers! Imagine.
There are currently huge issues with how we are playing, the fact we didn’t have two strikers today isn’t one of them, the choice of the one striker, well that’s for another thread.

giphy.gif

In fairness, it's not just here. Everywhere on social media you have fans saying the same thing.
Anything other than 4-4-2 is seen as negative by some.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Reality is a guy who started the season as fourth choice has started and played in more games than any other striker due to injuries for the most part and also some tactical ones. In an ideal situation where Godden and Walker don't get injured Max probably gets on as a sub in maybe a dozen or so games to either see a result out or pray for a worldie.

I've seen Baka and Gyo mentioned, but if they came back in you'd soon have people saying "oh yeah, that's why they're not playing".

Thing I find most baffling is that Max and Walker seemed to be complementing each other to some degree, yet MR has gone back to one up front, so you end up with either Max, who can't finish, or walker, who won't put in the yards to create his own chances.

Added to the fact we're playing one 'proper' ACM behind a single striker and there's little attacking impetus there at all. Yet we're playing both Kelly and James who're standing on each others toes and Hamer and Sheaf waiting who prefer to sit deep to try and pass the ball around. We need at least one of those two to push up nearer to O'Hare if we're playing one up top. Even Shipley or Allen might try and play a bit more advanced.

It's just a very negative set up. 3CB's is supposed to allow you to push forward a bit more in midfield, so why are we playing 3 CM's that sit deep?

Terry Gibson's perm

Reality is a guy who started the season as fourth choice has started and played in more games than any other striker due to injuries for the most part and also some tactical ones. In an ideal situation where Godden and Walker don't get injured Max probably gets on as a sub in maybe a dozen or so games to either see a result out or pray for a worldie.

I've seen Baka and Gyo mentioned, but if they came back in you'd soon have people saying "oh yeah, that's why they're not playing".

Thing I find most baffling is that Max and Walker seemed to be complementing each other to some degree, yet MR has gone back to one up front, so you end up with either Max, who can't finish, or walker, who won't put in the yards to create his own chances.

Added to the fact we're playing one 'proper' ACM behind a single striker and there's little attacking impetus there at all. Yet we're playing both Kelly and James who're standing on each others toes and Hamer and Sheaf waiting who prefer to sit deep to try and pass the ball around. We need at least one of those two to push up nearer to O'Hare if we're playing one up top. Even Shipley or Allen might try and play a bit more advanced.

It's just a very negative set up. 3CB's is supposed to allow you to push forward a bit more in midfield, so why are we playing 3 CM's that sit deep?

Partly to cover a goalkeeper who isn’t up to standard. A lot of Biamou recent chances haven’t been created by his hard work so I would prefer to see Walker trying to score them than him, you really don’t need a hard working striker if he is scoring we have many other industrious players to run around, just get the ball into the box and let Walker do his work.

SkyBlueDom26

That miss yesterday was shocking, he was literally through 1 on 1.....these misses are costing us big time

Grendel

giphy.gif

In fairness, it's not just here. Everywhere on social media you have fans saying the same thing.

Robins is by nature a cautious defensive manager and a back 3 with 2 wing backs mostly defending a diamond midfield with two holding players and a very poor lone striker isn’t a great statement of intent against very weak opposition

GaryMabbuttsLeftKnee

Robins is by nature a cautious defensive manager and a back 3 with 2 wing backs mostly defending a diamond midfield with two holding players and a very poor lone striker isn’t a great statement of intent against very weak opposition

I would agree with all that, but again, the one up top isn’t the problem. Hypothetically if you had a more attack minded left wing back, Hamer in his preferred position alongside say Kelly/Sheaf/James and then another player in the O’Hare mould behind one striker, it is fine. Last year it was largely fine with McCallum and Allen or Shipley. If he was going to build a squad to play only one way, which it appears, he should have looked to recruit better replacements here. The entire set up is wrong and unbelievably negative. The two “attacking players” are terrible in front of goal, so even the odd chances they get, they squander

fatso

giphy.gif

Total BS
Horses for courses. In a game you need to win against shite opposition, you dont play Biamou up on his own and expect to trouble the keeper, I called 0-0 before kick off for this exact reason, I even said I couldnt see where the goals would come from, and that's exactly how it panned out.

Frostie

Total BS
Horses for courses. In a game you need to win against shite opposition, you dont play Biamou up on his own and expect to trouble the keeper, I called 0-0 before kick off for this exact reason, I even said I couldnt see where the goals would come from, and that's exactly how it panned out.

Well that's just it, it's not the fact that we played 1 up front, it's the fact that the 1 was Biamou.

Users who are viewing this thread