Bidwell (1 Viewer)

SlowerThanPlatt

The reports from the Swansea fans and the QPR fan on here was that he’s a 6/10 performer nothing spectacular. That’s what we’re seeing but he’s not fitting into the way we want to play

Grendel

SBT got it. But not a good use of your time or my time to be writing off or defending a player who has made all of 3 appearances. And we certainly needed a LWB - it was the position on the pitch where we lacked cover.

his point is if we’d actually wanted a go at promotion we wouldn’t have signed someone we didn’t need now and could find an alternative next season

Sky Blue Harry H

New to the area, new club, new team-mates, new system. Needs time to get his feet under the table. He's solid and when he has settled in he'll be a decent option for us. I was happier about his signing than Todd Kane's at the time. Kane has won me over (if I ignore yesterday!). Think it will be similar with Bidwell for some,

Sky Blue Harry H

Moore, Dabo, Kane, Clarke-Salter, Sheaf, Gyökeres.

That's just current squad members that have been written off on here after their first few games...

Just saying.

It was the same about McNulty (McWankty) in L2.

Grendel

Moore, Dabo, Kane, Clarke-Salter, Sheaf, Gyökeres.

That's just current squad members that have been written off on here after their first few games...

Just saying.

Im not writing him off but his is he helping a promotion push in your view?

Sky Blue Harry H

The reports from the Swansea fans and the QPR fan on here was that he’s a 6/10 performer nothing spectacular. That’s what we’re seeing but he’s not fitting into the way we want to play

If/when he gets fitter, I think he may be able to adapt. Time will tell. Agree though, he hasn't got the Maatsen like nippiness, but probably has better defensive nous.

Garryb80

No idea what people expect. As soon as he went off Maatsen was awful at LWB and Meite was all over him. He may not offer as much going forward but he can at least defend.

Grendel

SBT got it. But not a good use of your time or my time to be writing off or defending a player who has made all of 3 appearances. And we certainly needed a LWB - it was the position on the pitch where we lacked cover.

We didn’t lack cover - we have Maatsen and Shipley and we did sign a LWB last season whose clearly a dud

I’d assumed Maatsen was out for the season when we signed him which clearly wasn’t the case

We’ve signed him on a long deal, extended godden till he’s nearly 34 and we’ve offered Allen a new deal yet he’s now down the pecking order against Shipley

Evo1883

We didn’t lack cover - we have Maatsen and Shipley and we did sign a LWB last season whose clearly a dud

I’d assumed Maatsen was out for the season when we signed him which clearly wasn’t the case

We’ve signed him on a long deal, extended godden till he’s nearly 34 and we’ve offered Allen a new deal yet he’s now down the pecking order against Shipley

Before posh away , would you have put Shipley in as a cover player at LWB ?

Grendel

Before posh away , would you have put Shipley in as a cover player at LWB ?

But Maatsen is back and playing so why commit a 3 and a half year deal now on someone who won’t make a shred of difference in a top 6 challenge.

I’m not even negative about him - I’ve no idea if he’s good or not - I just don’t see the point

Grendel

He is contributing. For example Maatsen was given a really tough time by Bowler for Blackpool, Bidwell pretty much shut him down when he came on.
He's not exactly hit the ground running admittedly but that was kind of the point of my previous post, it often takes time.

But will his position be key in a push for promotion?

Evo1883

But Maatsen is back and playing so why commit a 3 and a half year deal now on someone who won’t make a shred of difference in a top 6 challenge.

I’m not even negative about him - I’ve no idea if he’s good or not - I just don’t see the point

I'm guessing it's because the very nature of the wing back position , its demanding and we genuinley need cover , and Shipley isn't it

SlowerThanPlatt

If/when he gets fitter, I think he may be able to adapt. Time will tell. Agree though, he hasn't got the Maatsen like nippiness, but probably has better defensive nous.
Not sure why he would be lacking fitness more than anyone else. He started 16 out of 20 games for Swansea this season

lord_garrincha

But will his position be key in a push for promotion?
It's not the same, but a few years ago Blackpool loaned in Seamus Coleman at RWB and they slipped into the top 6 & went up.

In his case it was, but a) normally not; and b) were the management 'pushing' for promotion.

Grendel

I'm guessing it's because the very nature of the wing back position , its demanding and we genuinley need cover , and Shipley isn't it

But that’s not my point - cover isn’t a 3 and a half year deal for an experienced player. He and waghorn will be very well paid by our standards.

It’s not required this season is it?

Grendel

No one knows Bidwells salary but as context Swansea have a £37 million wage bill

DannyThomas_1981

But that’s not my point - cover isn’t a 3 and a half year deal for an experienced player. He and waghorn will be very well paid by our standards.

It’s not required this season is it?

The Club/Manager can never win with you.

This time last year for example you were going totally mental about Gyo and Matty James being awful additions to the squad during the January transfer window.

Not all signings immediately work out - some never do but rushing to judgment over 3 games is insane.

rexo87

Think the Bidwell deal was agreed and signed just before we realised Shipley could play LWB

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Sky Blue Harry H

Think the Bidwell deal was agreed and signed just before we realised Shipley could play LWB

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Although Shippers can play there, he isn't a consistent enough performer to rely on him. A much better attacker than Bidwell, but liable to go missing on occasions. Really hope Shipley can progress, as he is a local lad, and we'd all like to see him kick on.

steve cooper

As others have said, it's way too early to write Bidwell off. On another thread someone said he didn't look happy yesterday, and didn't react when we scored.
I don't know his private life situation, and I doubt many / any of us do, but he has just moved across the country to a new environment. Some people take that in their stride, others don't, and need time to adjust and settle. He may be living on his own, or missing his friends / relatives, etc.
I understand that he is a professional footballer and should cope easily with that sort of thing, but everyone reacts differently to things like that. It can effect all sorts of things from energy levels, enthusiasm, to even whether they smile when we score.
Let's give him the rest of this season at least before writing him off as a dud.
On the subject, the same could easily apply to Tyler Walker at Portsmouth.

PVA

Gyokeres was a 22 year old who filled a position of need for us. What’s most baffling to me about the Bidwell signing is that even assuming he comes good, we don’t have a pressing need for another LWB right now - we have multiple other options there and he isn’t even the best one.

I’m not sure why we couldn’t just wait til the end of the season to sign him (especially if he supposedly needs a full pre-season just to get up to speed). Instead we blew our entire January budget on a rotational player who isn’t contributing anything right now.

We desperately needed him. Around the time of his signing we were playing a central midfielder at RWB and an attacking midfielder at LWB.

I think everyone was in agreement at the time we desperately needed a LWB and that he was a good signing.

He hasn't impressed so far, though it's very early days, but it was definitely the right thing to sign a LWB in January.

PVA

Of course we lacked cover ffs. Absurd to say otherwise.

And what LWB did we sign last season that's a dud?

Adge

Although Shippers can play there, he isn't a consistent enough performer to rely on him. A much better attacker than Bidwell, but liable to go missing on occasions. Really hope Shipley can progress, as he is a local lad, and we'd all like to see him kick on.
Would we? Some of us want to see him depart as he’s had long enough and is clearly not up to the level.

Users who are viewing this thread