Brandon Stadium (1 Viewer)

aloisiwouldhavescored

Great news.

Remember the days when we went to CCFC match in the afternoon, then dashed home to go to Brandon at night, still in our City shirts.

Used to love going to the City then the Bees, made a great day/evening out.

no_loyalty

Great news.

Remember the days when we went to CCFC match in the afternoon, then dashed home to go to Brandon at night, still in our City shirts.

Used to love going to the City then the Bees, made a great day/evening out.
They were great days, would love our speedway team to return.

hamertime

They should put a 4g pitch in the middle, start up the dogs and speedway the place could be thriving with the right owners and investment. Plenty of land for football pitches and conference rooms.

shepardo01

Exactly the same here mate
Spent a fair few summer nights there as a kid growing up. Used to collect the glass bottles and get money back for them!
Growing up close to the stadium, we knew a few special ways to get in!
Mates Dad was track doctor there too, so often got in legitimately too!
Saw someone mention somewhere that at one time, the Bees were like the Real Madrid of Speedway - I can remember a fair few championship wins with the likes of Tommy Knudsen and Calvin Tatum....
Grandad used to take me to stock -cars too!
Unbelievable that the place used to hold British and European(?) final speedway meets too...
Good times!!!

Terry Gibson's perm

They should put a 4g pitch in the middle, start up the dogs and speedway the place could be thriving with the right owners and investment. Plenty of land for football pitches and conference rooms.

Will the problem be the locals then saying too much traffic. I really hope they reform as I never went to see The Bees and I do regret that.

chiefdave

Can’t see how they can complain as they bought houses next to a stadium. It’s part of the history of this city and should never be lost.
There's the agent of change principle which was brought in to protect music venues. Essentially a developer building next to an existing venue is responsible for sound proofing. Not sure how that applies when you have existing housing and an existing venue. Could the homeowners argue its been so long since racing has taken place it amounts to a change of use?

Hopefully that's not an issue and they can get the place back up and running but suspect this still has a long way to go

Terry Gibson's perm

Locals want it to reopen as a motorsports venue and are opposed to a housing development from what I understand.

But if they added stuff like a 3G pitch which would be used every night they might be less keen. I hope they can turn it into a multi sport thing so it can survive but not rugby though😉

rob9872

Makes you wonder how McGinnity managed to sell Highfield Road so it could be redeveloped & how CCC allowed it to happen?!
CCC would've done it here too. Thankfully the stadium falls under Rugby Council.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Whilst I remember the modern bees, was always glad to see them winning - is there a market these days for stock racing and speedway? Same with Greyhound racing

the last pictures of the stadium show a stadium that needs a lot spent on it. Is there any real interest out there to make it viable

NorthernWisdom

Whilst I remember the modern bees, was always glad to see them winning - is there a market these days for stock racing and speedway? Same with Greyhound racing

the last pictures of the stadium show a stadium that needs a lot spent on it. Is there any real interest out there to make it viable
Bees were always one of the bigger clubs in the country - they were one of the few that could justify a speedway team by their crowds. Whether the damage has been done now I dunno, but it seems there's enough of us still about who'd make an effort to begin with at least.

skybluetony176

But if they added stuff like a 3G pitch which would be used every night they might be less keen. I hope they can turn it into a multi sport thing so it can survive but not rugby though😉
There was always other stuff going on there day and night. I did my CBT there many years ago in the daytime on a weekday and on a couple of occasions I went go-karting in the evenings on the infield of the track.

skybluetony176

Current lot have to be made to sell it first unfortunately
The unfortunate thing is they picked the site up for peanuts so they can factor in a big spend on legal costs before they come to a point where it becomes uneconomical for them working on the assumption that they will get planning at some point if they just keep banging the drum with the legal avenue. Which is why I think there’s still twists and turns to come. The site and Brandon estates IIRC are owned by an offshore hedge fund and I think we all remember how they operate. They’ll go down every legal route possible so long as it still makes financial sense to achieve their end goal. Even then if they get to the point where it no longer makes financial sense they won’t be willing to let the site go for the peanuts they acquired it for. For the people waiting in the wings who want to return it to a motorsport venue the best course of action for them might be a compulsory purchase by RBC which I imagine will be another long drawn out process.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Bees were always one of the bigger clubs in the country - they were one of the few that could justify a speedway team by their crowds. Whether the damage has been done now I dunno, but it seems there's enough of us still about who'd make an effort to begin with at least.
Would it be a novelty thing though? What was the reason for the Bees going bust in general - I know there was issues over stadium ownership like (sound familiar)

Like I said Brandon looks like it needs serious TLC.

chiefdave

What was the reason for the Bees going bust in general
Didn't they get kicked out of the league for not being able to fulfil fixtures, or at least be in danger of that, because the owner of the stadium was pushing them out

Have a vague memory they came back in a lower division using someone else's stadium but couldn't stay there long term

no_loyalty

Didn't they get kicked out of the league for not being able to fulfil fixtures, or at least be in danger of that, because the owner of the stadium was pushing them out

Have a vague memory they came back in a lower division using someone else's stadium but couldn't stay there long term
They shared with Leicester Lions for a short while, but it didn’t work out for whatever reason?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

This is the thing for me.

Sure, it'd be nice to have a speedway team back and it has history, but is there actually the demand to make it viable?

We know there's a chronic need for new housing, and would that overall be a better use?

Like a archaeology programme I watched the other week. They were doing a dig around some run-down old pub before it had a £3m makeover. Just ignoring the fact the reason it was run down and had shut was because no-one had been using the pub. Just felt like a massive waste of a lot of money to me.

NorthernWisdom

Sure, it'd be nice to have a speedway team back and it has history, but is there actually the demand to make it viable?

We know there's a chronic need for new housing, and would that overall be a better use?

Like a archaeology programme I watched the other week. They were doing a dig around some run-down old pub before it had a £3m makeover. Just ignoring the fact the reason it was run down and had shut was because no-one had been using the pub. Just felt like a massive waste of a lot of money to me.
You want to just abandon all the speedway fans who used to go to watch them, who had their team ripped away through no fault of their own...?!?

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

You want to just abandon all the speedway fans who used to go to watch them, who had their team ripped away through no fault of their own...?!?
Not what I said.

I said is it viable? That may well be the case and good luck to them. Short term they'd definitely get big crowds, but I'm wondering if it'd be sustainable.

It just feels like there's people saying having the site become housing would be a terrible thing. It wouldn't, If it stays as a speedway venue, great. if it doesn't and becomes housing it's not the end of the world. We need houses. Loads of them.

NorthernWisdom

Not what I said.

I said is it viable? That may well be the case and good luck to them. Short term they'd definitely get big crowds, but I'm wondering if it'd be sustainable.

It just feels like there's people saying having the site become housing would be a terrible thing. It wouldn't, If it stays as a speedway venue, great. if it doesn't and becomes housing it's not the end of the world. We need houses. Loads of them.
Well you are saying that by suggesting that speedway fans should have their ground bulldozed for housing!

aloisiwouldhavescored

Like I say, Saturday night speedway after the City match was a thing for us. Would be great to see it back at Brandon. Remember going to a World Cup match there one Saturday night, usually held at Belle Vue but there was work going on at their stadium so switched in to Brandon. It was absolutely rammed and so exciting. Also had a few meals there whilst we watched the Dogs. So lots of entertainment held there, besides the speedway and stocks.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Not what he’s saying - like I said. Speedway is not football, Brandon needs serious TLC and it needs to show the investment in it would bring a benefit.

is Speedway a popular sport? Would it justify the money spent on renovating the stadium?

NorthernWisdom

Not what he’s saying - like I said. Speedway is not football, Brandon needs serious TLC and it needs to show the investment in it would bring a benefit.

is Speedway a popular sport? Would it justify the money spent on renovating the stadium?
It was popular enough to sustain a team there perfectly well.

Life is about more than just crushing everybody's fun!

NorthernWisdom

You'd think Coventry City fans would be all for the side of the sports fans who have a successful team (more successful than CCFC by far!) that's one of the biggest in the country, that sees its stadium ripped away from them through no fault of their own, by dodgy people interested in profit and playing a system rather than the club and the people.

But no, knock it down for housing eh(!)

While they're at it, may as well get rid of Broadstreet Rugby ground too.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

You'd think Coventry City fans would be all for the side of the sports fans who have a successful team (more successful than CCFC by far!) that's one of the biggest in the country, that sees its stadium ripped away from them through no fault of their own, by dodgy people interested in profit and playing a system rather than the club and the people.

But no, knock it down for housing eh(!)

While they're at it, may as well get rid of Broadstreet Rugby ground too.
Is it going to receive the interest to sustain investment though? That’s what I’m asking.

don’t get me wrong. I remember the 2007 season. We had Scott Nicholls right? And that Swedish kid.

but who’s gonna pay for the stadium renovation

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Who's crushing who's fun? I've already stated that if it stays as a speedway track then great. I'm just saying if it isn't viable having it as housing isn't the complete disaster people are suggesting. It would be useful, just in a different way.

I understand the issue with them leaving was far greater than numbers through the door. I'm just wondering if the income they'll have will be sufficient. The place needs a LOT of work doing and that's not going to come cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread