Brexit rules ? (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There were lies on both sides during the campaign and Remain focused on general scaremongering rather than engage in a positive campaign
How do you run a 'positive' campaign when you're campaigning to keep the status quo? Only thing you can really do is say the alternative will be worse. Which it is.

Bit like saying how the Tories/right focus on general scaremongering because it's all about the woke left wing will lead us to hell in a handcart.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

“You made me have shit opinions by telling me my opinions were shit”

A classic of the genre.

There's many people on this off topic chat that are so one sided in politics that they can't put themselves in the shoes of those who think differently to them. They also struggle to understand why people keep voting against their ideologies, and that calling people's opinions shit doesn't actually win them over to their way of thinking.

I can tell you for absolute fact there were a good chunk of people on the fence who voted to leave purely because they were harassed, or told they were racists, morons, or whatever else. It might not be right, nor might it have been the right decision, but it was the case unfortunately.

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

There's many people on this off topic chat that are so one sided in politics that they can't put themselves in the shoes of those who think differently to them. They also struggle to understand why people keep voting against their ideologies, and that calling people's opinions shit doesn't actually win them over to their way of thinking.

I can tell you for absolute fact there were a good chunk of people on the fence who voted to leave purely because they were harassed, or told they were racists, morons, or whatever else. It might not be right, nor might it have been the right decision, but it was the case unfortunately.
But the same is true from both directions.

Those entrenched with right-wing views can't see why left-wing people think the way they do, and just think that they're soft and love the work-shy and immigrants looking for a free meal. And will often call you stuff like wokerati, snowflake, commie and that if you were in power you would ruin the country.

Often the reason for showing that compassion is that the left often try to understand how these people are feeling, why they take the actions they do and how they've ended up in that situation. Why is this person risking everything to travel halfway across the world? Why is this person addicted to drugs? Why are they involved in crime? They try and empathise. Yes, sometimes it is that said person is just a wrong'un but more often it's a set of circumstances that have led them down that path and they need help to escape, as do others before they end up going down the same path, so how do we stop that. And much of it is down to inequality and stigma in society. But those are hard questions and even harder answers. Much easier to throw them on the dustheap and say it's all their own fault - they're just weak individuals or don't try hard enough.

How are you supposed to say you think people are wrong without saying that, and thus them being offended? Yes, there are some that do get personal and I think it's a counter-productive stance but on the whole people try and explain their position, often citing stats or whatever to back them up. Just to either be ignored or told they're talking bollocks. So when it's proven not to be bollocks is it any surprise they say so?

Isn't that the way to win people over to your way of thinking? Predicting something and then telling people when it's right? I know there are plenty of people on SM who will happily jump in when an immigrant is guilty of a crime (or will even jump the gun before it's even confirmed)

rob9872

But the same is true from both directions.

Those entrenched with right-wing views can't see why left-wing people think the way they do, and just think that they're soft and love the work-shy and immigrants looking for a free meal. And will often call you stuff like wokerati, snowflake, commie and that if you were in power you would ruin the country.

Often the reason for showing that compassion is that the left often try to understand how these people are feeling, why they take the actions they do and how they've ended up in that situation. Why is this person risking everything to travel halfway across the world? Why is this person addicted to drugs? Why are they involved in crime? They try and empathise. Yes, sometimes it is that said person is just a wrong'un but more often it's a set of circumstances that have led them down that path and they need help to escape, as do others before they end up going down the same path, so how do we stop that. And much of it is down to inequality and stigma in society. But those are hard questions and even harder answers. Much easier to throw them on the dustheap and say it's all their own fault - they're just weak individuals or don't try hard enough.

How are you supposed to say you think people are wrong without saying that, and thus them being offended? Yes, there are some that do get personal and I think it's a counter-productive stance but on the whole people try and explain their position, often citing stats or whatever to back them up. Just to either be ignored or told they're talking bollocks. So when it's proven not to be bollocks is it any surprise they say so?

Isn't that the way to win people over to your way of thinking? Predicting something and then telling people when it's right? I know there are plenty of people on SM who will happily jump in when an immigrant is guilty of a crime (or will even jump the gun before it's even confirmed)
I'd agree with a lot of that, except the one set of people who they don't extend that same hand of sympathy or try to understand why they are tgat way, are generally people who voted Brexit, vote Tory (and definitely not the same group) or don't think the same way and apparently they can all get fekked. You can't be the nice caring side on one hand and then so dismissive - it's surely all or nothing if it's not fake?

Users who are viewing this thread