Butts park arena? (3 Viewers)

Nick

Administrator
It hasn't hamstrung Bournemouth because they have a wealthy backer. The whole reason I made the point of having a wealthy backer in anticipation of someone bringing up Bournemouth.

Renting from Wasps with no extra income isn't good and I didn't suggest it was. It may well be better though. Like I said we need a fully costed business plan, both for developing BPA and renting at the Ricoh.

I don't know why you keep suggesting that I've said things are good at the Ricoh and it will shoot us up the leagues. I've never said anything remotely close to that. All I've suggested is that it may be our best option. Again, we need a fully costed business plan for both options. We need to know what long term deal we can negotiate at the Ricoh and how much it will cost to develop the BPA. The latter isn't going to be cheap you know and will load CCFC with alot of debt. Joy and her investors aren't going to gift it to the club.

I guess it depends how it is financed.

Nick

Administrator
Maybe a restricted covenant should have been placed on the Ricoh Arena, limiting its activity to professional football.

How spiteful are Coventry City Council?

I am not sure why they would do that? Surely it would be good for the City Centre?

They will do what they want, when they want though I guess.

torchomatic

Looks like the Council want to block it... nice one!

But..but...but..it's not their fault, it was See Sue that made them do it.

torchomatic

It hasn't hamstrung Bournemouth because they have a wealthy backer. The whole reason I made the point of having a wealthy backer in anticipation of someone bringing up Bournemouth.

Renting from Wasps with no extra income isn't good and I didn't suggest it was. It may well be better though. Like I said we need a fully costed business plan, both for developing BPA and renting at the Ricoh.

I don't know why you keep suggesting that I've said things are good at the Ricoh and it will shoot us up the leagues. I've never said anything remotely close to that. All I've suggested is that it may be our best option. Again, we need a fully costed business plan for both options. We need to know what long term deal we can negotiate at the Ricoh and how much it will cost to develop the BPA. The latter isn't going to be cheap you know and will load CCFC with alot of debt. Joy and her investors aren't going to gift it to the club.

And SISU won't be here forever and maybe the development at the Butts will mean we will become more attractive. And don't forget that the Premier League is awash with cash.

The Ricoh the "best option". It's our only bloody option which is the problem. This may not get anywhere, but I'm starting to feel optimistic about the future all of a sudden.

oldfiver

15K hasn't hamstrung Bournemouth, they're now in the Premiership and more than holding their own and they're capacity is 4K less. How can renting from Wasps with no extra income be good? Still not sure why you and others feel like things are great at the Ricoh and how the current deal will make us shoot up the leagues? Wasps aren't likely to give away any more of their income to us, are they? There's a nice big bond to repay in a few short years...

It is 15k to 25k - built in modules

torchomatic

I love how the Telegraph are now acting like it is breaking news! :confused:

And Gilbert was the one taking the piss (along with the lot on here) when Reid broke the story last year.

torchomatic

Evo1883

Fantastic idea .
Let's hope it has actual substance and gets pushed through before 2020

skybluetony176

Looks like the Council want to block it... nice one!

This is where the club need to sell it to the fans so we can back them. It needs a tangible plan for the development and finance's. All we have is words, speculation and hearsay. How are we supposed to get behind it and help the club fight the council?

ccfclinney

Yeah les Reid got dismissed when he broke the news ! Fair play to him he's better then all of them at CT..

I think it would be brilliant for the city as a whole. It would open many revenue options especially with retail park lined up, all food and drink sales. Car parks. And not having to pay rent. Not only this when the time is right the club would be in a much better place for selling if owned there own ground with there own revenues.

Time for the council to bang there heads together and back the clubs in the city !!!

PUSB

torchomatic

This is where the club need to sell it to the fans so we can back them. It needs a tangible plan for the development and finance's. All we have is words, speculation and hearsay. How are we supposed to get behind it and help the club fight the council?

KNowing the council are against it is enough for "fight" surely? Why are they trying to block progression for the city's football club?

Nick

Administrator

In fairness, the club haven't said anything. It is the Rugby club.

torchomatic

That is not BPA - a former site

Don't worry, it was just diversionary tactics. You'll be reading the phrase "three weeks" a lot.

skybluetony176

KNowing the council are against it is enough for "fight" surely? Why are they trying to block progression for the city's football club?

No it isn't enough. The only thing that's enough is knowing what you're fighting for will benefit the club. Sticking two fingers up to the council might take priority to you over the club but I'll put the club first thankyou.

clint van damme

here are the plans

http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/new-stadium-gallery-1245964.aspx

a lot more space in the surrounding area than I remember.

That's because it's a drawing from 2013 mate. There is no way that amount of room surrounding the Butts even if they expand into the park and the car park. On top of that the congestion would be horrendous.
Not saying it's unachievable but there's a lot of problems regarding space and traffic to overcome.
The owners of the retirement village are also in the process of trying to flog their units, I don't know how they'd react to a football stadium round the back or what sway they'd have in putting the mockers on the whole thing.

skybluetony176

Don't worry, it was just diversionary tactics. You'll be reading the phrase "three weeks" a lot.

Only if official representatives from the club are saying it alot. If they didn't keep bringing up self imposed deadlines in the first place people wouldn't repeat them.

Grendel

So you won't object to this as sisu own the club?

OffenhamSkyBlue

CCFC have now released an official statement.
What I don't get is that they say "It is important that the club continues to work towards securing it's (sic) long-term future".
They have always said that the only way to achieve long-term financial viability is to own their own stadium, but Cov Rugby seem to be saying that they themselves would remain owners, and the Sky Blues would be tenants.

Otis

15K hasn't hamstrung Bournemouth, they're now in the Premiership and more than holding their own and they're capacity is 4K less. How can renting from Wasps with no extra income be good? Still not sure why you and others feel like things are great at the Ricoh and how the current deal will make us shoot up the leagues? Wasps aren't likely to give away any more of their income to us, are they? There's a nice big bond to repay in a few short years...

Bournemouth's record ever crowd though is 28,000. Traditionally they have not been as well supported as Coventry City.

Also, correct me if I am wrong here but haven't they been saying they desperately need to increase their capacity?

15,000 would not be enough for us for big games. Not nearly enough.

Had we made the playoffs this season we would have easily got over 20,000 for any one of the games against either Walsall, or Bradford, or Millwall or Barnsley.

Big cup game, close to 30,000 and if we had a 15,000 stadium I would say that would be very much lacking ambition for the future and would very much be only a short term fix.

torchomatic

No it isn't enough. The only thing that's enough is knowing what you're fighting for will benefit the club. Sticking two fingers up to the council might take priority to you over the club but I'll put the club first thankyou.

Oh, that's something coming from you!

My point was knowing that CCC are trying to block a move that will push the club forward should help to make fans get on board with the football club. And if fans don't know what they're fighting for then we've lost already!

This will be a golden opportunity to leave the Ricoh and the discord between CCC and Wasps and hopefully push on and get new owners. This could make CCFC attractive to investors.

Nick

Administrator
Ciu_iqIWgAAkuEQ.jpg

SkyBlueZack

We can exclusively reveal today the council wrote to Cov rugby club in January seeking to block the proposal with a legal clause – a restrictive covenant – to prevent professional football being played at a redeveloped Butts Park Arena stadium – so the council could “protect its position”.

The restrictive covenant previously sought by the council would prevent any professional football being played at the stadium for the entire period of the lease.

The proposed restrictive covenant also explicitly stated that a professional football club’s training activities could not take place there either.

Any idea of when the council began to seek the covenant? Oh and Tony, Italia and the rest of you. Defend the above? Tell me how the council haven't got anything against the club? How they see the bigger picture? How this is not about egos?

Let's hope we move the Butts. It will be too far for Italia to walk.

torchomatic

CCFC have now released an official statement.
What I don't get is that they say "It is important that the club continues to work towards securing it's (sic) long-term future".
They have always said that the only way to achieve long-term financial viability is to own their own stadium, but Cov Rugby seem to be saying that they themselves would remain owners, and the Sky Blues would be tenants.

Yeah, that's now. Things change. Who would have envisaged London Wasps owning the Ricoh and being our landlords?

SkyBlueZack

It would be a joint venture? The rugby club would hold the lease. I imagine it would be similar to the Ricoh. A stadium management company set up with each club owning 50%?

Nick

Administrator
It would be a joint venture? The rugby club would hold the lease. I imagine it would be similar to the Ricoh. A stadium management company set up with each club owning 50%?

I don't see the issue in it, again as long as Cov Rugby also benefit (I can't see them agreeing if they don't though).

OffenhamSkyBlue

We can exclusively reveal today the council wrote to Cov rugby club in January seeking to block the proposal with a legal clause – a restrictive covenant – to prevent professional football being played at a redeveloped Butts Park Arena stadium – so the council could “protect its position”.

The restrictive covenant previously sought by the council would prevent any professional football being played at the stadium for the entire period of the lease.

The proposed restrictive covenant also explicitly stated that a professional football club’s training activities could not take place there either.

Any idea of when the council began to seek the covenant? Oh and Tony, Italia and the rest of you. Defend the above? Tell me how the council haven't got anything against the club? How they see the bigger picture? How this is not about egos?

Let's hope we move the Butts. It will be too far for Italia to walk.

Presumably the Council have no "interest" to protect, as they no longer own any part of the Ricoh. On that basis, I would have thought their application for a restrictive covenant could be regarded as contrary to competition law.

Users who are viewing this thread