Cathedral Lanes revamp (1 Viewer)

clint van damme

Carry on with the plans:
"Fancy going out for a meal and a few drinks? Decent choice and we could pop to a couple of bars too"

Knock it down:
"Fancy standing outside looking at the back of the Establishment"

As I said, boot Primark out and turn that building into a restaurant quarter.
Unless your idea of a night out also includes buying shite clothe made in an Indian sweatshop, in which case my plan would scupper your night out.

shmmeee

As I said, boot Primark out and turn that building into a restaurant quarter.
Unless your idea of a night out also includes buying shite clothe made in an Indian sweatshop, in which case my plan would scupper your night out.

How shit would a multi storey resteraunt quarter in an ugly building be?

I'm all for knocking down most of the city centre but this is a terrible idea.

clint van damme

How shit would a multi storey resteraunt quarter in an ugly building be?

I'm all for knocking down most of the city centre but this is a terrible idea.
to be honest I like the idea of a restaurant quarter but I don't really care where they put it as long as it's not cathedral lanes!
The way you can just see the spire peeping over that red brick monstrosity is heart breaking.

Otis

to be honest I like the idea of a restaurant quarter but I don't really care where they put it as long as it's not cathedral lanes!
The way you can just see the spire peeping over that red brick monstrosity is heart breaking.
But then they are opening up the back so you have a clear path in.

It's obviously staying, as the plans clearly state. I'm happy they are going to get the best viable option out of it and could never knock having 7 more restaurants in the city centre.

fernandopartridge

Agree with the open space ideas - other countries do the so well and in Europe I've always admired the big squares of Madrid, Bruges etc. We seem to be scared of spaces in this country and fill them with crap. My local city of Norwich is a fine city but missed an opportunity with its riverside development. I would have loved to have seen wide open spaces with tree lined avenues and a view of the river but instead we got a multi-storey car park and various chain food outlets and weatherspoons an absolute travesty on a par with the emasculation of Broadgate imo.
Broadgate is more of a big open space than it has ever been.

tommydazzle

In terms of it being paved over yes you're probably right but I miss the open views towards the spires and paradoxically it looks more hemmed in by the usual bland brickwork.

Skinnythebear

Agree with having some walkway to the cathedral but I reckon it should be from the other way.
Knock down the monstrosity of a hotel De Vere/ Britannia and knock down the shit hole student rooms and there you have it.
It could be a large grassed area with food stalls and bars etc.
Cg in with the Cov Baths building soon to be sold off.

shmmeee

Agree with having some walkway to the cathedral but I reckon it should be from the other way.
Knock down the monstrosity of a hotel De Vere/ Britannia and knock down the shit hole student rooms and there you have it.
It could be a large grassed area with food stalls and bars etc.
Cg in with the Cov Baths building soon to be sold off.

I expect the uni to knock down Priory Hall eventually. The fucking Britannia isn't going anywhere sadly. Like Sainsbury's and Iceland the owners have some weird attachment to it.

fernandopartridge

I expect the uni to knock down Priory Hall eventually. The fucking Britannia isn't going anywhere sadly. Like Sainsbury's and Iceland the owners have some weird attachment to it.

The uni are knocking down part of Priory Hall (from another forum) - not sure if the poster in question is on here:

Anyway i have something interesting for you guys... i was in attendance at a university update yesterday and it was announced that Priory Hall G Block is due to start being demolished in April this year, however it will take 18 months because they have to remove it brick by brick because of its close proximity to the cathedral. Also January 2018 as been set as the date for demolishing James Starley because it will be vacated in August this year. The plans to replace this building are for two small buildings which will have a very wide gab between them, nothing of the size it is today.

The most interesting part was not part of the presentation and came out due to question being asked... when the civic land is vacated, the University plans to build a new uni headquarters as part of phase 2 (due to be completed in 2020), this is already known, but what has never been mentioned is that they then plan to demolish Alan Berry Building and replace it with greenery. It was specifically said 'to give a courtyard appearance' and 'to give excellent views of the Cathedral'.

I for one in the past, wanted to knock down cathedral lanes for a better view of the cathedral (pre-restaurants), yet i dont think I ever thought of the excellent view you could get from the opposite side.

shmmeee

I'm in a lecture in the EEC building as we speak, I wonder if I can find the plans somewhere or if they're just private at the moment. My lecturer told me they're building another EEC building "on the car park and the student services building" which are each side of the EEC building, so that makes no sense.

Real waste of the Sherbourne down between the Unite Students block and the student car park as well.

Glad to hear Priory and James Starley are going. That end of town could end up quite nice if the other new buildings are anything to go by.

Anyone know when the elephant is due to get knocked down?

NorthernWisdom

I love it but I thought it was a done deal.

Problem with so much architecture in the city centre is it needs keeping clean and well maintained to look nice and no one has the cash to keep it looking good.

Don't disagree.

My main problem with knocking it down is that it's at least unique, mind. Problem with so much is it ends up identikit flatpack style (a bit like the Ricoh!)

To my mind even if I hate a bit of architecture, it's provoked a response that makes it unique, distinctive to where it is, and that makes going to different places worthwhile.

shmmeee

Don't disagree.

My main problem with knocking it down is that it's at least unique, mind. Problem with so much is it ends up identikit flatpack style (a bit like the Ricoh!)

To my mind even if I hate a bit of architecture, it's provoked a response that makes it unique, distinctive to where it is, and that makes going to different places worthwhile.

I think with the elephant you've got to realise the plan for the whole area that the uni have. I don't know how viable keeping it going is (I had an exam in it the other week though, so maybe there is some use).

Also if, as I suspect, the plan is to build up all around it, would it end up hidden?

Is the sports centre being sold as well? Isn't that listed too?

NorthernWisdom

I think with the elephant you've got to realise the plan for the whole area that the uni have. I don't know how viable keeping it going is (I had an exam in it the other week though, so maybe there is some use).

Also if, as I suspect, the plan is to build up all around it, would it end up hidden?

Is the sports centre being sold as well? Isn't that listed too?
The swimming pool is listed, elephant not.

What I don't think we're great at in Coventry is building on what we already have, we tend to go for the knock it all down, and start again approach... never let things get old. Appreciate I said get rid of Cathedral Lanes earlier ;) but that's nondescript.

Good bits of the city are around the Cathedral, the Priory ruins (although we don't do culture, so let the visitor centre waste away), and there's potential around the transport museum and the square (put the clock back, am I alone in being surprised they were allowed to silently remove it for cleaning and not put it back, with barely a murmer?) and even the precincts themselves are decent in their simplicity, to my mind. Spon Street as mentioned could be great if they bumped it a bit. Ikea seems in a mental place there, mind! And around the Belgrade's been bumped up a bit too, looks alright. They need to start joining it all together now!

Think they did a great job with the Lower Precinct, incorporating the cafe and the original 50s architecture, but roofing it off so it felt a bit more homely! The old manor house needs making more of, but actually have hopes the developments between there and Ford's Hospital will improve all that area substantially.

clint van damme

I love it but I thought it was a done deal.

Problem with so much architecture in the city centre is it needs keeping clean and well maintained to look nice and no one has the cash to keep it looking good.

always amazed at how clean some of the famous building in London are, look like they're made of Lego! Must cost a fortune to keep them that clean.

Users who are viewing this thread