Chess (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
Any experts on here? Any good tips for beginners?

I know the rules, the basics but playing against the computer I get hammered all of the time as I dont start off with a game plan. Then sometimes end up with 2 pieces chasing around the board.

Whenever I look online, it is all over complex!

Gazolba

It's a very complex game. There are so many different openings and defences to those openings. Expert players have memorized all the best moves up to around move 20. They also have the ability to think 10-15 moves ahead. Usually, on computer games you can set the level, so start with the computer at the lowest level. If you always lose at the lowest level, you need to start studying some chess books. There are some general strategies that are not too difficult to grasp, like controlling the centre of the board. I would also play the same opening every time until you learn all the moves and counter moves.

Last edited:

Philosorapter

This stuff is quite interesting. It explains chess coming out of the romantic period and becoming a classical system where logic takes over when playing to win. This is the first time these ideas were put down on paper.

If you wish to learn the mechanics of chess and everything that goes with that I would recommend Chessmaster GrandMaster edition, available on all good torrent sites. The training system on that is second to none. Could get you to a Class 'A' player easily.

For playing online I would recommend for a beginner chesscube.com and leave the major chess servers alone.

Last edited:

Pipehitterz

Related, check out Bobby fischer documentary , and / or ' pawn sacrifice movie.
That dude was greatest of all time apparently

Philosorapter

FIscher was excellent. Is this sport science? I don't know.

oldfiver

I know the rules, the basics but playing against the computer I get hammered all of the time as I dont start off with a game plan. Then sometimes end up with 2 pieces chasing around the board.

https://www.chess.com/

Nimzowitch the man to follow!

Philosorapter

Never been a hyper modern chess champion though... his book, 'my system' is certainly worth a read.

Nick

Administrator
Cheers, yeah I tried playing online but whoever it was whias way ahead of me.

It's nothing too serious, just that my daughter has started it at school so thought I'd better get a bit better to challenge her.

I was on level 2 of 10 and finding it challenging ha

Philosorapter

A great little documentary with Susan Polgar...

Explains a little of whats going on in the mind of a chess player from a young age.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Thanks, will have a watch!

She has learnt the rules and where things can go within a couple of hours so think she will be able to pick it up quickly.

Philosorapter

Paul Turong is her husband. We use to administrate the same chess server together, and with others, of five different national federations. They have some very mischievous and fun personality characterisics.

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
Paul Turong is her husband. We use to administrate the same chess server together, and with others, of five different national federations. They have some very mischievous and fun personality characterisics.
a chess server? Safe to say you know your stuff then!

Philosorapter

IMG_0341.JPG
a chess server? Safe to say you know your stuff then!

We are all amateurs. It's kind of worrying when someone says they're professional at something.

I use to play with Chesslive 4.2/5.0 which was the fore-runner to Dasher.

Dasher is a pale imitation to Chesslive 4.2/5.0

Houchens Head

Fairly well known member from Malvern
Nick, buy an actual chess set. Play a real game with your daughter. You will learn far better than trying to beat a computer or some chess geek on the other side of the world. It's a great game (although I haven't played for years). Really makes you think!

Nick

Administrator
Have a chess set already! Although I wanted to learn a bit to be able to help her, but I think its going to be the other way round!

covcity4life

chess not for chavs. give up fifa and allow your brain to grow. lol

in all honesty its a great game, i used to know how to checkmate someone in 7 moves,forgot now though.

im not as good as i used to be,only play at xmass now with nephews once in a while

Gazolba

Nick, buy an actual chess set. Play a real game with your daughter. <snip>
I like those miniature chess sets with the pegboard where the pieces slot into little holes. You can turn them upside down and the pieces don't fall out. You can also turn the board around and play yourself. I used to make one move as white then the next day make my move as black. I would keep going that way one move per day. Gives you plenty of time to ponder the position and the alternative moves.
peg-chess-set.jpg

Travs

Anyone on here still playing chess?

I play a lot online.... on longer games, 10mins and upwards, my rating usually hovers somewhere between 1800-1850...... if i really spend time studying i find myself pushing well into the 1900's, but that requires a lot of time for me.

I most often play 3mins, with 2-second increments.... obviously this is more of a rushed game and my rating is generally around 1600.

Used to play many "over the board" tournaments in my teens, and also played in the chess league for Nuneaton, but really that was given up by about 14.

Got a nice "antique" Isle Of Lewis chess set on the coffee table as well, but never played an actual game on it!

My rating at puzzles is consistently higher... which probably indicates i've got the aptitude for the tactics to be higher rated, but don't put enough time or effort in to really advance my game.

Philosorapter

There's a meet up from 2.00pm Monday and Wednesday of each week at Coventry Central library.

People of all calibres playing a range of different time controls.

Philosorapter

I did check, they strangely do have Lasker's Manual of Chess in the Library ;)

Last edited:

LastGarrison

I play regularly, well daily, on Gameknot and I’m over 6000 games over the past 13 years or so.

My trouble is I’ve never dedicated myself to learning openings and defences so hover around the 1600 mark whereas I know if I did I could easily start to increase my rating.

Pure laziness really. 🤣

Travs

I tend to know the overriding principles of openings, but like yourself i don't put the effort in to learn specific lines in great detail.... for black in the French and King's Indian for example, i know what i'm trying to achieve but wouldn't even be able to write down my first ten moves.

Same with white' i have a specific favoured way to open and an overall strategy, but thats it.

Brighton Sky Blue

Anyone on here still playing chess?

I play a lot online.... on longer games, 10mins and upwards, my rating usually hovers somewhere between 1800-1850...... if i really spend time studying i find myself pushing well into the 1900's, but that requires a lot of time for me.

I most often play 3mins, with 2-second increments.... obviously this is more of a rushed game and my rating is generally around 1600.

Used to play many "over the board" tournaments in my teens, and also played in the chess league for Nuneaton, but really that was given up by about 14.

Got a nice "antique" Isle Of Lewis chess set on the coffee table as well, but never played an actual game on it!

My rating at puzzles is consistently higher... which probably indicates i've got the aptitude for the tactics to be higher rated, but don't put enough time or effort in to really advance my game.
I play tournament and club chess locally, around 1900 over the board and 2000+ online. Taking a break from it for the last few months while I get settled in a new role but will get back into it at some point next year.

If anyone here has children wanting to learn how to play/improve they are also quite welcome at our junior club on Saturdays.

Users who are viewing this thread