"Cov RFC is dead" - what about CCFC? (1 Viewer)

MichaelCCFC

I was on a train today and next to me were coaches from a Premiership rugby team plus a couple of others. They were talking about matches, autumn internationals etc but then they mentioned Wasps and I couldn't help myself but join in. They were very blunt and said the view within rugby is Wasps at the Ricoh spells the death of Cov RFC. Their view was simply why would any kid who is any good be interested in joining Cov when Wasps with a much superior coaching set up is on their doorstep. The other very blunt point was Wasps are interested in Wasps and nobody else so any hope of Wasps somehow helping out CCFC is wishful thinking. Combined with today's PR about sisu's conditional offer pretty much confirming sisu aren't making a real bid and are just building a 'blame the council/higgs etc story' where on earth does all this leave CCFC? I'm a born optimist but at the moment I'm struggling to see anything positive for the future

covcity4life

I was on a train today and next to me were coaches from a Premiership rugby team plus a couple of others. They were talking about matches, autumn internationals etc but then they mentioned Wasps and I couldn't help myself but join in. They were very blunt and said the view within rugby is Wasps at the Ricoh spells the death of Cov RFC. Their view was simply why would any kid who is any good be interested in joining Cov when Wasps with a much superior coaching set up is on their doorstep. The other very blunt point was Wasps are interested in Wasps and nobody else so any hope of Wasps somehow helping out CCFC is wishful thinking. Combined with today's PR about sisu's conditional offer pretty much confirming sisu aren't making a real bid and are just building a 'blame the council/higgs etc story' where on earth does all this leave CCFC? I'm a born optimist but at the moment I'm struggling to see anything positive for the future

regretting your decision to back council now eh?

Ashdown

Not sure about CCFC or this 'conditional offer' but I believe that CRFC have a strong core support that won't just jump ship. As for local players and academies..........our best players this season thus far are Will Hurrell { Midlands based}, Dom L'Espierre { French } and Cliffie Hodgson { South African }, none of which came through our youth set up !

albatross

I agree that this is a statement as to our local sporting management prowess.

WASPS are here for WASPS . CCFC are here for CCFC (or if you like for SISU to develop what they can get and sell on).

All the young kids end up in the academy systems of Leicester / Northants and Worcester. Recent History show that.

The Lurker

really? a coach at Cov rugby told me it wont effect them because they play on different days and Cov rugby will always have a hardcore support of a 1,000 just like ccfc who have hardcore of 5k.

smileycov

Facebook User
really? a coach at Cov rugby told me it wont effect them because they play on different days and Cov rugby will always have a hardcore support of a 1,000 just like ccfc who have hardcore of 5k.

Think your missing the point......is it not the fact no one who is a half decent young player will join Cov when they can go 5 mile or so up the rd to Wasps. I think it is about the future of the team not directly aimed at the support.

oldfiver

It is not just the gates though is it?

It involves sponsor and community project funding.

Also Cov's ambition to get to the higher tier must be affected by having an established top team about 4 miles away who wont let good players go to BPA

skybluetony176

Think your missing the point......is it not the fact no one who is a half decent young player will join Cov when they can go 5 mile or so up the rd to Wasps. I think it is about the future of the team not directly aimed at the support.

Don't the RFU police the area's where teams can and can't go to pickup academy players and Coventry is under Worcester not Wasps, Wasps area being London and North off London until they hit Northamptons territory and they have no plans to change this?

Off course plans do change.

chiefdave

That's not really how it works is it? If it was we'd still have the likes of Wilson playing for us. Players will go to the top level they can achieve. Do you really think any young footballer who is offered an academy place with one of the relatively close PL teams is turning it down to join us? Same will apply here, the best players may well go to Wasps, but at the moment they aren't likely to be going to Cov RFC, they'll be at either Leicester or Northants.

letsallsingtogether

That is the way it has been for decades except they now go to Leicester, Northampton etc may affect them more, as they have been raping Coventry for ages.

oldfiver

Don't the RFU police the area's where teams can and can't go to pickup academy players and Coventry is under Worcester not Wasps, Wasps area being London and North off London until they hit Northamptons territory and they have no plans to change this?

Off course plans do change.

I understood the RFU can decide which academy but could be wrong. It is a fact that outside the top 2 leagues they take little notice of the other teams situations

WASPS are reported to be leaving their London base and community in January

skybluetony176

I understood the RFU can decide which academy but could be wrong. It is a fact that outside the top 2 leagues they take little notice of the other teams situations

WASPS are reported to be leaving their London base and community in January

Their academy or just the first team playing side? I would imagine that they're leaving the admin side of things in London. Who would want the dingy offices at the Ricoh ;)

The Lurker

hasnt that happened with the football club for years? there was a thread the other day saying leicester scouts are coming to cov. will always happen

The Lurker

Also Cov's ambition to get to the higher tier must be affected by having an established top team about 4 miles away who wont let good players go to BPA

i was under the impression wasps and Cov rugby were working together regarding players? also were JLR ever going to sposor cov rugby? doubtful

skybluelee

Well fingers crossed Wasps will get relegated.

Disclaimer: I have no fucking idea whether this is remotely possible as I hate rugby; Wasps could be the Chelsea/Man C of rugby for all I know.

stupot07

What about new fans? Or occasion fans? Students, Etc who fancy watching rugby? Who's the biggest draw CRFC or Wasps?

It's already stating hardcore, but even in the hardcore you're constantly regenerating the fanbase, even the hardcore to an extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Chipfat

I don't agree with Wasp being in the city but if Cov rugby take the view that they are not going to embrace the fact, they will suffer not Wasps.. Its sad but its fact,, young Cov born and educated players for years have been taken away, Danny Grewcock, Neil Back, Tom Wood, Darren Garfoth all England internationals even Jim Hamilton of Scotland all should of been taken by Cov but were not...Now Wasps are in Town it could work, in the Cov born players favour stay on Wasps books while loaned to Cov ...

I hope it works for Cov and i hope they stay strong as a club and continue to improve not only on the pitch but off it.. I don't care about Wasps, just what cov rugby club can get from it....

letsallsingtogether

Could depend on price Cov charge £15.00 to watch from the stands or the touch line beer is £2 odd a pint, cheap day out.

Wasps will be double that in certain areas and we all know the price of a bottle of beer at the Ricoh. Then again they may now start selling draught beers as that is what most Rugger fans want.
What about new fans? Or occasion fans? Students, Etc who fancy watching rugby? Who's the biggest draw CRFC or Wasps?

It's already stating hardcore, but even in the hardcore you're constantly regenerating the fanbase, even the hardcore to an extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

Mary_Mungo_Midge

Why wasn't any of this stated when Worcester Warriors set up 6 regional satellite hubs for attracting young talent to them? They have a significant one in Coventry, based at Broadstreet - that's already taking the best young players from the region; and getting them down to Worcester.

If anything, youth players will be more liable to stay in the area; via the player development programme agreed between Wasps and CRFC.

There's also a meeting at the Ricoh next week when local teams will be meeting with Wasps to see how things will pan-out locally. That'll be interesting

Last edited:

Moff

Why wasn't any of this stated when Worcester Warriors set up 6 regional satellite hubs for attracting young talent to them? They have a significant one in Coventry, based at Broadstreet - that's already taking the best young players from the region; and getting them down to Worcester.

If anything, youth players will be more liable to stay in the area; via the player development programme agreed between Wasps and CRFC.

There's also a meeting at the Ricoh next week when local teams will be meeting with Wasps to see how things will pan-out locally. That'll be interesting

I can save them some time with this meeting.

If you don't sign up with Coventry, just pop down the road to a real team like the Saints, not some lower class franchise team like Wasps ;)

(Before anyone has a sense of humour loss at this post...its a joke between Wasps fan MMM and myself a Saints fan - and we are both CCFC fans in case anyone goes on about this should be on the other sports forum)

Hobo

regretting your decision to back council now eh?

As our owners...we have had no choice but to ride with SISU; look where they have taken us!

There is a big difference between backing the council and seeing the misguided management of our club for what it is, lots of rhetoric over a paupers super....amateurs!!!

stupot07

If you don't sign up with Coventry, just pop down the road to a real team like the Saints, not some lower class franchise team like Wasps ;)

(Before anyone has a sense of humour loss at this post...its a joke between Wasps fan MMM and myself a Saints fan - and we are both CCFC fans in case anyone goes on about this should be on the other sports forum)

I have more respect for you already supporting a localish team, than I do people jumping on the wasps bandwagon.

Mary_Mungo_Midge

;)

For the purposes of clarity; I'm not a Wasps fan! Just know some of their players. They were very good to the Rugby Lions when they got to Twickenham in the Junior Vase last season too. I won't be taking in any games.

When I do take in big-time rugby, it's in that filthy borough just up the road - courtesy of ex-Coventry and Rugby Lions player/coach, Newbold lad 'Cockers'. They're not having a great season either....

Next Tuesday's meeting will be interesting. First time all of the junior teams in the area will have been in the room to voice an opinion. As far as I recall, there's folk there from the traditionally 'large' clubs such as Coventry, Nuns, Lions, plus the rising stars such as Broadsteet, right down to Rugby Welsh and the like. I'll report back what I hear and see :p

Moff

;)

For the purposes of clarity; I'm not a Wasps fan! Just know some of their players. They were very good to the Rugby Lions when they got to Twickenham in the Junior Vase last season too. I won't be taking in any games.

When I do take in big-time rugby, it's in that filthy borough just up the road - courtesy of ex-Coventry and Rugby Lions player/coach, Newbold lad 'Cockers'. They're not having a great season either....

Next Tuesday's meeting will be interesting. First time all of the junior teams in the area will have been in the room to voice an opinion. As far as I recall, there's folk there from the traditionally 'large' clubs such as Coventry, Nuns, Lions, plus the rising stars such as Broadsteet, right down to Rugby Welsh and the like. I'll report back what I hear and see :p

Fair play to wasps re the Rugby Lions stuff. Living in the Rugby area I am aware of how the club have fallen on very hard times and hope their fortunes vastly improve soon.

Re your penchant for watching big time Rugby up the road in the filthy borough, I have seen fit as a concerned internet friend to book you in for the lobotomy next week. Its the least I can do ;)

Moff

I have more respect for you already supporting a localish team, than I do people jumping on the wasps bandwagon.

I do support Cov Rugby as well Stupot, but being born in Northants, but brought up in Cov, it was always CCFC for football but both rugby clubs for Rugby.

lewys33

CRFC will continue to have their hardcore group of fans. I don't think it will affect them now as such, it is more that this is a guarantee that they will be a 2nd rate rugby club because there is now a premiership team in the city.

I support CRFC but have gone to a few saints games in the past. Only game I can see me going to is wasps v saints. Supporting the later if either.

lewys33

Im still seething about it all anyway to be honest. Still can't get my head around how after our move people are accepting this wasps franchise. Morals gone out the window.

mattylad

Anyone who thinks Cov RFC could ever get to the top tier of rugby is in cloud cuckoo land. Your talking 4-7m a year to support an elite squad and even then you have no guarantee of staying up just look at Newcastle and Worcester both of whom have had massive financial backing and yet have struggled/failed to maintain top flight status

letsallsingtogether

Anyone who thinks Cov RFC could ever get to the top tier of rugby is in cloud cuckoo land. Your talking 4-7m a year to support an elite squad and even then you have no guarantee of staying up just look at Newcastle and Worcester both of whom have had massive financial backing and yet have struggled/failed to maintain top flight status
Exactly just like football and the ground would also need millions spending on it.

lewys33

I assume you placed a bet on Swansea's future 10 years ago then?

Ashdown

I don't agree with Wasp being in the city but if Cov rugby take the view that they are not going to embrace the fact, they will suffer not Wasps.. Its sad but its fact,, young Cov born and educated players for years have been taken away, Danny Grewcock, Neil Back, Tom Wood, Darren Garfoth all England internationals even Jim Hamilton of Scotland all should of been taken by Cov but were not...Now Wasps are in Town it could work, in the Cov born players favour stay on Wasps books while loaned to Cov ...

I hope it works for Cov and i hope they stay strong as a club and continue to improve not only on the pitch but off it.. I don't care about Wasps, just what cov rugby club can get from it....

Totally disagree, the real danger to Cov rugby is if they become a feeder club to Wasps, a club resembling nothing more than the franchise clubs reserves. In that scenario who is going to support their second string when they can watch the first team in the same City. Cov rugby need to treat them as competition and remain as independent from this sham as possible, maintaining their own identity and true affiliation with the City.

Users who are viewing this thread