"Cov RFC is dead" - what about CCFC? (1 Viewer)

ajsccfc

On the radio earlier the Wasps COO was saying that they'd more or less sold out of the six half-blocks they made available, which totals around 2500-3000 tickets.

Ashdown

They are going to pump this up as much as possible between now and 21st December. One thing you can't knock is their marketing drive !

NorthernWisdom

Totally disagree, the real danger to Cov rugby is if they become a feeder club to Wasps, a club resembling nothing more than the franchise clubs reserves. In that scenario who is going to support their second string when they can watch the first team in the same City. Cov rugby need to treat them as competition and remain as independent from this sham as possible, maintaining their own identity and true affiliation with the City.

tbf, in Cov Rugby's position, what can you do?

Fight it and see your complete air supply cut off, or try and make the best of a bad hand?

Ashdown

tbf, in Cov Rugby's position, what can you do?

Fight it and see your complete air supply cut off, or try and make the best of a bad hand?

What they can do is maintain their independence, jockey along on all the new marketing hype over the sport, promote themselves as your local alternative and remain as competitive as they can within the league framework. They could even benefit in a similar fashion that 'Netto' are hoping to achieve in their new alliance with Sainsburys.

MichaelCCFC

The aim behind my OP was about CCFC not CRFC! The position with CRFC is depressing enough, but unless something totally unforeseen happens Wasps are going to get 100% ownership and we are then left at the mercy of 2 mysterious hedge funds (or similar) neither of which gives a damn about CCFC. I remain mystified as to why anyone thinks the Wasps deal is anything other than bad for CCFC and why GBTTR and the Trust are not organising something

Last edited:

Sick Boy

The aim behind my OP was about CCFC not CRFC! The position with CRFC is depressing enough, but unless something totally unforeseen happens Wasps are going to get 100% ownership and we are then left at the mercy of 2 mysterious hedge funds (or similar) neither of which gives a damn about CCFC. I remain mystified as to why anyone thinks the Wasps deal is anything other than bad for CCFC and why GBTTR and the Trust are not organising something

I don't understand the lack of anger about a hedge fund 'getting their hands on' the Ricoh either.

oldfiver

I understood the RFU can decide which academy but could be wrong. It is a fact that outside the top 2 leagues they take little notice of the other teams situations

Slight correction -

Currently, Worcester are designated as the club who have priority for Academy players from Cov and surrounds

The RFU sliced up the regions some 10 years ago

If WASPS move they will need the RFU to redesignate their catchment area - which will upset Worcester

chiefdave

If WASPS move they will need the RFU to redesignate their catchment area - which will upset Worcester

I suspect they will stay as they are for a couple of years and then the RFU will decide everything needs to be reorganised and Coventry and surrounding areas will fall under Wasps.

stupot07

West Midlands Wasps ?

Don't see they can have the whole of the West Midlands when that includes a large chunk of Worcester's catchment area. And with Gloucester not that further down the M5 isn't not as though they can extend Worcester's in that direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - so please excuse any spelling or grammar errors :)

duffer

I suspect they will stay as they are for a couple of years and then the RFU will decide everything needs to be reorganised and Coventry and surrounding areas will fall under Wasps.

Not sure it will be as simple as that, Chief. As well as Worcester, Leicester and Northampton might kick up too, and they've got a bit of clout. I'll be interested to see how well Wasps are doing in a couple of years in truth...

chiefdave

How well are the catchment areas actually enforced? What happens if someone from Cov went into Wasps academy, would anything actually happen?

letsallsingtogether

How well are the catchment areas actually enforced? What happens if someone from Cov went into Wasps academy, would anything actually happen?

I Would have thought it is like football you go to whoever gives you the best deal....might be wrong though.

BigadamL

Won't wasps have youth teams?!?! Will wasps loan players to the rugby club just like the football team does with Nuneaton? Build up links?? I'm not sure how the rugby system works

MichaelCCFC

It's all too predictable - Wasps are doing a good PR job and will promise everything is going to be wonderful, with a heavy emphasis on getting a big crowd for the first game(s). But Wasps are only interested in Wasps and as time goes on they will be able to control things as serves their interest. What about the Henley Academy for example? Same applies regarding CCFC. Wasps will say all the right things about wanting to work with CCFC but reality is they want 100% not a 50% share and Wasps will do what is best for themselves. Any idea Wasps will in some way want to help CCFC is absolute nonsense

letsallsingtogether

It's all too predictable - Wasps are doing a good PR job and will promise everything is going to be wonderful, with a heavy emphasis on getting a big crowd for the first game(s). But Wasps are only interested in Wasps and as time goes on they will be able to control things as serves their interest. What about the Henley Academy for example? Same applies regarding CCFC. Wasps will say all the right things about wanting to work with CCFC but reality is they want 100% not a 50% share and Wasps will do what is best for themselves. Any idea Wasps will in some way want to help CCFC is absolute nonsense

As has said on here before they do actually need CCFC they use the Arena even less then we do, So renting out lets them play there for free?

You need to keep your tenants sweet, if you want to keep them, so why would you do anything to harm them as in turn it harms you?

But Sisu now need to come out with the full plans and all the details of their new ground, until then no one will ever take them seriously?
It has all taken too long
I have just brought another house it has taken 4 weeks to complete?
I know the comparison is slightly different, but if you want it and push enough it can be done, I know people who have brought land and built houses on them and the lot was done within a year?

Last edited:

Nick

Administrator
As has said on here before they do actually need CCFC they use the Arena even less then we do, So renting out lets them play there for free?

You need to keep your tenants sweet, if you want to keep them, so why would you do anything to harm them as in turn it harms you?

But Sisu now need to come out with the full plans and all the details of their new ground, until then no one will ever take them seriously?
I have just brought another it house has taken 4 weeks to complete?
I know the comparison is slightly different, but if you want it and push enough it can be done, I know people who have brought land and built houses on them and the lot was done within a year?

It reminds me of buying a car, there is one you actually want (Ricoh) but you won't let go of your old banger (this stadium idea) until you actually have it. You can act like you don't really need the new car anyway as you have the banger to drive a bargain.

MichaelCCFC

I have just brought another it house has taken 4 weeks to complete?

Not quite what I was saying -

Wasps have no compunction harming Cov RFC

With CCFC, they won't necessarily harm CCFC but they certainly won't have an interest in being charitable to CCFC.

With all the secrecy the finances is guess work but if rumours are right, CCFC are paying a very low rent so that's unlikely to be a key element within Wasps' business plan. acl have now been proved to have been washing their face rather than really profitable so seems likely the main part of Wasps' strategy - which was sisu's for if they had got hold of the ricoh - to put in place a more professional Arena management tasked with increasing profits from non-sporting activities.

sisu will not build a new stadium. They will sit tight and first see if Wasps fails cos Wasps are taking a risk. If Wasps fail then sisu are back in with a chance. If Wasps succeed sisu will wait for tenancy renewal time and then use their usual tactics to try and get a low rent or else return to Northampton saying 'we were forced out of the Ricoh by the nasty Wasps'!

Users who are viewing this thread