Coventry city centre (3 Viewers)

Otis

A good place for something more substantial than your standard coffee shop stuff, but still the same kind of atmosphere, is a little cafe type place on that road where the Golden Cross/Newt & Cucumber are (Bayley Lane?)

If you turn down from the courtyard end it's about halfway down on the left. I went there on a Saturday morning before a city game, had a perfectly reasonable omelette and chips, and the lady I was with had vegetarian breakfast, but there was loads of choice, along with coffees/teas/etc. It may well possibly have been licensed as well, although it was only around 10am so I didn't really pay much notice to that....

Also around there, just about opposite the Courtyard, on the High Street, is a little Chinese cafe/restaurant. They do some awesome stuff, very no-frills, but good food and portions.

Edit: it's on Hay Lane, not Bayley Lane, sorry, and it's called Playwrights. The Chinese place is called Chi Bar.
Playwrights has been there for years now. Last time I went it was just okay, but that was about 20 years ago. Must do alright as it's still going.

shmmeee

I know a couple of people who have tried to get things going in the town centre and let's just say they have been less than complimentary about the council. I didn't know for sure about their refusal to drop business rates but suspected it.

They don't seem to have a strategy for attracting companies into the centre.

Yeah my wife had a similar experience. They seem to think the city centre isn’t some kind of premium product, not the hollowed out doss hole it’s become. CCS might justify those kind of rents if it comes off and gets high quality retail in, but paying thousands to rent a grubby unit in the arcade or whatever takes the piss.

Otis

Yeah my wife had a similar experience. They seem to think the city centre isn’t some kind of premium product, not the hollowed out doss hole it’s become. CCS might justify those kind of rents if it comes off and gets high quality retail in, but paying thousands to rent a grubby unit in the arcade or whatever takes the piss.
It's all changing. Think they have seen the light at last.

Grendel

It's all changing. Think they have seen the light at last.

Not for retailers it isn’t. The rents they want for even grotty retail space is appalling. Over a third of units in the city must be available would you say?

Otis

Not for retailers it isn’t. The rents they want for even grotty retail space is appalling. Over a third of units in the city must be available would you say?
Yeah, but it is changing. Plans afoot and the whole south side of the city centre is to be redeveloped and they have a number of really decent retailers lined up.

Perhaps the wording should be 'is going to change.'

About time someone got it through their thick skulls how to run a city centre.

LastGarrison

So with the Big Weekend last week and the Civic Ceremony and MotoFest and the Stones this week and Pride next weekend, coupled with the great weather how much tourism and money has flowed into the city the last couple of weeks?

No matter what all you naysayers say Coventry is changing. And for the better.

Otis

So with the Big Weekend last week and the Civic Ceremony and MotoFest and the Stones this week and Pride next weekend, coupled with the great weather how much tourism and money has flowed into the city the last couple of weeks?

Indeed.

New water park is getting ever closer still too.

pusbccfc

The Telegraph are running an article questioning whether it has been the best week for the city. You know what? They are probably right. The city is on the up. Attitudes are changing and the people of Coventry are proud of this place once again.

Grendel

Yeah, but it is changing. Plans afoot and the whole south side of the city centre is to be redeveloped and they have a number of really decent retailers lined up.

Perhaps the wording should be 'is going to change.'

About time someone got it through their thick skulls how to run a city centre.

I haven’t been in for some time - how many new retailers have we had?

Also - and I’m surprised it’s not been mentioned on here - what impact will it be if Debenhams does fold which seems likely?

Last edited:

Grendel

Not many. It's more restaurants and cafes and ice cream places that are popping up on the whole.

Great.

The council house building plan is a joke. The building of 2,500 homes will soon commence which spreads across from the village hotel to Pickford green lane. Another is planned on green belt near the Tamworth road behind sandpits and beyond.

The council projects certainly on project one that a lot of higher demographics will be attracted to the city centre. By what exactly? They will all migrate to Solihull - it’s a joke and a disgrace.

CovInEssex

Not many. It's more restaurants and cafes and ice cream places that are popping up on the whole.

I know I’ve quoted the wrong post but regarding what you said a couple months ago, people really do need to take a walk through Manchester CC. The homeless problem is unfuckingreal.

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

I know I’ve quoted the wrong post but regarding what you said a couple months ago, people really do need to take a walk through Manchester CC. The homeless problem is unfuckingreal.

Manchester I genuinely felt intimidated walking back to my hotel late one night groups of 3/4 blokes some covered in vomit, just popping out the shadows, doorways and alleyways. The only way I can describe it is the Michael Jackson ‘Thriller’ video.

CovInEssex

Manchester I genuinely felt intimidated walking back to my hotel late one night groups of 3/4 blokes some covered in vomit, just popping out the shadows, doorways and alleyways. The only way I can describe it is the Michael Jackson ‘Thriller’ video.

It’s staggering, surprised we don’t hear more about it

I_Saw_Shaw_Score

It’s staggering, surprised we don’t hear more about it

It seems like a lot are on that drug I’ve seen a few blokes around Cov in very similar states in the past few months.

About a month ago middle of the week one lunch time I spotted half a dozen pools of vomit it maybe the same person but made me think could be a ‘strong’ batch of it and it was making a few ill! A few colleagues went out and came back and mentioned they’d seen some as well.

CovInEssex

It seems like a lot are on that drug I’ve seen a few blokes around Cov in very similar states in the past few months.

About a month ago middle of the week one lunch time I spotted half a dozen pools of vomit it maybe the same person but made me think could be a ‘strong’ batch of it and it was making a few ill! A few colleagues went out and came back and mentioned they’d seen some as well.

Which drug?

Grendel

I don’t think anyone suggests the centre is especially violent - just it has little appeal in shopping terms unless it’s Iceland, Primark or Poundland.

hill83

I don’t think anyone suggests the centre is especially violent - just it has little appeal in shopping terms unless it’s Iceland, Primark or Poundland.

I'm pretty confident that will eventually change. Hopefully. Get people into the city centre with restaurants etc and everything else will follow.

Grendel

I'm pretty confident that will eventually change. Hopefully. Get people into the city centre with restaurants etc and everything else will follow.

Fair enough. I’m not wumming - I just can’t understand why the council is digging up what little green belt it has and is building expensive housing with zero to offer as a shopping experience in the centre.

fernandopartridge

A lot of the spice heads aren't homeless. It's a cess pit though and well meaning people must stop giving food and money to beggars. It helps nobody.

fernandopartridge

Synthetic cannabis aka spice

fernandopartridge

Fair enough. I’m not wumming - I just can’t understand why the council is digging up what little green belt it has and is building expensive housing with zero to offer as a shopping experience in the centre.
It's a chicken and egg situation. High end retailers don't come to Coventry because they don't believe it's socio economic demographic can sustain their types of store.
The council is not responsible for the type of shops or housing, both are down to market forces.

Otis

Yeah, but restaurants are coming in numbers now, so with that comes footfall and with that will come more shops.

Town is often very busy these days. I go on a Tuesday and Friday and it's quite busy and loads of people about.

Grendel

Yeah, but restaurants are coming in numbers now, so with that comes footfall and with that will come more shops.

Town is often very busy these days. I go on a Tuesday and Friday and it's quite busy and loads of people about.

The restaurants are chains that will not attract the people I’m talking about.

Which is fine but then don’t start building houses on the periphery of the city for a population that will immediately head the other way.

Otis

The restaurants are chains that will not attract the people I’m talking about.

Which is fine but then don’t start building houses on the periphery of the city for a population that will immediately head the other way.

Well, I have heard word of some of the sorts of retailers you speak of. Not confirmed yet, but as part of the city centre south project.

dutchman

A lot of the spice heads aren't homeless. It's a cess pit though and well meaning people must stop giving food and money to beggars. It helps nobody.
We've got one in Spon End at the moment. He was last seen lying down by the entrance to Morrison's car park. Passers-by had donated pre-packed sandwiches and soft drinks which he appeared to be ignoring. Before that, he or another youngish-looking beggar was lying down outside the Spon End off-licence. Someone who was fairly skint himself had used the last of his small change to buy him a hot snack from the local Fish Bar which he appeared to be enjoying. I'm not judging and I honestly don't know if they they were really helping or making a bad situation even worse?

Users who are viewing this thread