skyblue1991

Looking very smart after the refurb!
6bbe4f5b059228596ffbcee37821a39d.jpg
26dfdf51e6f33d832cbfc03f785ff843.jpg
8674e763a1f6fd6bf2e605d412bcc95b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
355cf54c520048d966a32064dbef61f1.jpg

Otis

Yes, true, but most people haven't even noticed it's open yet and are still using the old entrance.

Grendel

The platforms still take you back to the 60’s

Otis

I like the 60s station, it's a superb design and just needs some TLC
Just some more flowers would be nice. It's very grey. I am there all the time and go past many stations on my way from Coventry to Kent.

There are a lot worse ones for sure.

It just needs brightening up a bit.

The new bit does look very swish. Once they have cafes in there it should be bustling, because Coventry is very busy station

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Definitely looks better and like a lot of stuff they've done, especially the entrance from near the bridge. I like the frontage of the old station but wasn't much of a fan of it overall. New build looks fine but the two together look a bit odd.

Wish they'd integrated the main bus/train stations to allow easier transition of public transport and sharing of services/facilities, then had a bus shuttle service on a city centre loop. Would've also helped fill the new retail outlets plus allow redevelopment of Pool Meadow.

Think the overall Friargate development has missed a few tricks and the attempt to get so much office space there was a bit foolhardy. Minor bugbear is the positioning of Friargate One as the line of sight from the station into town is potentially great for seeing all three spires and giving a sense of place to arrivals. Instead it's only available to council employees.

Otis

Definitely looks better and like a lot of stuff they've done, especially the entrance from near the bridge. I like the frontage of the old station but wasn't much of a fan of it overall. New build looks fine but the two together look a bit odd.

Wish they'd integrated the main bus/train stations to allow easier transition of public transport and sharing of services/facilities, then had a bus shuttle service on a city centre loop. Would've also helped fill the new retail outlets plus allow redevelopment of Pool Meadow.

Think the overall Friargate development has missed a few tricks and the attempt to get so much office space there was a bit foolhardy. Minor bugbear is the positioning of Friargate One as the line of sight from the station into town is potentially great for seeing all three spires and giving a sense of place to arrivals. Instead it's only available to council employees.
Very true

I do also think the new and old station bits together do look an ill-fit.

Not thought it out properly have they.

NorthernWisdom

I still get the feeling we night be left with a bit of a white elephant here with HS2.

Costing an absolute bloody fortune.
It is. My concern is whatever they say about it not affecting other routes, I can't see another way for them to make it pay than force people from Coventry to have to go to Birmingham to catch the train to London, so we'll see the fast routes either stopping, or becoming less frequent.

And currently the Coventry - London (and Rugby - London for that matter!) routes are actually pretty good and pretty quick... if also pretty expensive!

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I still get the feeling we night be left with a bit of a white elephant here with HS2.

I've always felt the main point of that was to connect BHX to London so it could work as extra airport capacity for the capital. The northern legs were to convince the north is was for their benefit and get it through. One already gone, I expect the other to follow.

At the time I said the £35bn cost would end up being closer to £80bn and was laughed at. I'd be amazed if just the first part was done for anything close to that now. It's become a farce and by the time they've put it in it'll probably be outdated.

Mind you i was always a bit miffed that we were told it wasn't worth us being on the route uing the justification it wouldn't take much longer to either go WCML or HS2 to BHX then get a train back. Then they added a station in Birmingham city centre, so why couldn't they get a train to Birmingham for BHX then?

clint van damme

It is. My concern is whatever they say about it not affecting other routes, I can't see another way for them to make it pay than force people from Coventry to have to go to Birmingham to catch the train to London, so we'll see the fast routes either stopping, or becoming less frequent.

And currently the Coventry - London (and Rugby - London for that matter!) routes are actually pretty good and pretty quick... if also pretty expensive!

Were reasonable pre covid but prices have become extortionate since.

clint van damme

They're OK as long as you don't need to do 9-5...

Going next Friday at about 7ish and it's about 35 quid each. Was paying less than 20 pre covid though admittedly that was generally at the weekend.
Advanced booking doesn't seem to be the great deal it used to be either

Liquid Gold

I dunno

They've gone for the ultra modern design but that's what they did in the 60s and it quickly looked dated. Isn't this going to end up doing the same?

ajsccfc

1_DSC_0317JPG.jpg

Not really been keeping up with it as I've barely had to use it in years but are there now two separate buildings or is that a car park?

Otis

Going next Friday at about 7ish and it's about 35 quid each. Was paying less than 20 pre covid though admittedly that was generally at the weekend.
Advanced booking doesn't seem to be the great deal it used to be either
I do get good deals, but the prices seem to be all over the place at times.

I get get a return to Euston for £10.55 on occasion (slow train). It can easily cost me more than double that too though.

I am traveling every single week now. Prices seem so much more consistent on the Southeastern route. It's pretty much always the same price down there.

duffer

It's not that much mate. At 110 billion over the next twenty years, it's only costing us just over £625,000. An hour.

For those of you in the cabinet, who perhaps don't like to deal in small change, that's about £15 million per day.

But it's only for the next 20 years, and after that we're free and clear to enjoy the 15 minutes it'll save us into London, if you happen to live close enough to the interchange and you can afford a ticket, of course.

clint van damme

It's not that much mate. At 110 billion over the next twenty years, it's only costing us just over £625,000. An hour.

For those of you in the cabinet, who perhaps don't like to deal in small change, that's about £15 million per day.

But it's only for the next 20 years, and after that we're free and clear to enjoy the 15 minutes it'll save us into London, if you happen to live close enough to the interchange and you can afford a ticket, of course.

was quite impressed and feeling a bit of civic pride until I read that.................!

Users who are viewing this thread