Coventry Station (2 Viewers)

robbiekeane

I dunno

They've gone for the ultra modern design but that's what they did in the 60s and it quickly looked dated. Isn't this going to end up doing the same?
I agree, I hate that ultra modern look on everything because it looks shit after a few years. Like the sky dome etc…looks really shitty now

Same with houses…think when people build a house and try and make it look like ironman houses they look out of place and cheap and will look weathered in a few years

Otis

I agree, I hate that ultra modern look on everything because it looks shit after a few years. Like the sky dome etc…looks really shitty now

Same with houses…think when people build a house and try and make it look like ironman houses they look out of place and cheap and will look weathered in a few years
I would love an Iron Man house.

I have been trying to work towards one for many a year. Decided to start in the kitchen, but, so far all I have is pepper pots.

🙄

dutchman

This is how I remember it! Steam train days!
View attachment 24242
View attachment 24243
Me too!

This is the first station in 1838 with an entrance from Warwick Road, it later became the stationmaster's office. Note that disability access was not a high priority.

3X74yow.jpg

Last edited:

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

The frontage reminds me of a 60s building 😳
That's because it is. 1962 and Grade II listed. Festival of Britain. Modernist with a lot of glass, hence why it looks quite bland, blocky and utilitarian.

Basically they just updated around the existing structure.

fernandopartridge

It's not that much mate. At 110 billion over the next twenty years, it's only costing us just over £625,000. An hour.

For those of you in the cabinet, who perhaps don't like to deal in small change, that's about £15 million per day.

But it's only for the next 20 years, and after that we're free and clear to enjoy the 15 minutes it'll save us into London, if you happen to live close enough to the interchange and you can afford a ticket, of course.
In fairness HS2 isn't just about journey times, it's about releasing capacity on existing lines.

The country needs to get real about major infrastructure project, the government spends a lot of money but that's all going into the real economy. We need a lot lot more of it.

wingy

If I had any faith they'd keep the existing routes as they are and not cut them....
Well you'd hope to see a healthy price differential between the two services.
And I guess if you purchase a seat you actually get one, rather than cattle class.

Grendel

If I had any faith they'd keep the existing routes as they are and not cut them....

well Labour would have done that even if the nationalised as they stated it would be to gain profit

unless rail is seen as a public service to be ran at a loss - which no one has an appetite for - then there’s zero point in having it as a public owned company. I’m not against a nationalised railway but the taxpayer has to fund it and it has to be a main choice of transport

Kieranp96

Finally got in there today, not going to lie it looks pretty but where are the shops? 😂
Got of plane got train to cov planned to buy some shit in the shops but nothing there haha

Otis

Finally got in there today, not going to lie it looks pretty but where are the shops? 😂
Got of plane got train to cov planned to buy some shit in the shops but nothing there haha
Yes. There will be 5 retail outlets, but the delay in the station opening set back the interest and contracts on the shops. The station opening was well over a year late.

One cafe/restaurant had clearly signed up, as there was a sign on the door, but that was when the station was due to open and months later, it still hadn't and now the sign has vanished.

Pity, as it is now just an empty part of the station with nothing to do and nowhere to go.

Kieranp96

Yes. There will be 5 retail outlets, but the delay in the station opening set back the interest and contracts on the shops. The station opening was well over a year late.

One cafe/restaurant had clearly signed up, as there was a sign on the door, but that was when the station was due to open and months later, it still hadn't and now the sign has vanished.

Pity, as it is now just an empty part of the station with nothing to do and nowhere to go.
Yea let’s hope next time I am there shops will be open

Users who are viewing this thread