Coventry Strikers (1 Viewer)

Grendel

Gyokeres is doing well, but has a long way to go to match our best. Two more to think about, Bobby Gould scored a goal every other game for us in the mid sixties, including 25 goals in our 2nd division championship season, and Neil Martin, a tremendous header of the ball, with a decent goal scoring record.

Gould didn’t deliver in the top league

ProfessorbyGrace

Dublin and Speedie would (potentially) have made a fantastic ‘little and large’ pairing. Both deadly in the air, both natural goal scorers. Or maybe, Dublin, Keane and Speedie as an attacking midfielder. Dion and Little Keano would have been a lethal front two, in my opinion. I’m really going on players I’ve actually seen play, to be honest, as I’m not qualified on some of the others.

Bourton on the bench as an ultimate game changer. 😎 (doesn’t matter that I didn’t see him play, he was a goal machine).

Grendel

Dublin and Speedie would (potentially) have made a fantastic ‘little and large’ pairing. Both deadly in the air, both natural goal scorers. Or maybe, Dublin, Keane and Speedie as an attacking midfielder. Dion and Little Keano would have been a lethal front two, in my opinion. I’m really going on players I’ve actually seen play, to be honest, as I’m not qualified on some of the others.

Bourton on the bench as an ultimate game changer. 😎 (doesn’t matter that I didn’t see him play, he was a goal machine).

Never saw Terry Gibson?

baldy

Don’t forget the goalies didn’t wear gloves back in the day - that’s surely played a part in the amount scored by old City strikers

Cov kid 55

That’s true, I guess I was looking back nostalgically at how he tore up the second division in our championship year. Maybe he would have done better staying with us, although you couldn’t blame him for joining Arsenal. On the subject of Gould, does anyone remember a night game against Ipswich, December 1964? Freezing cold. We won 5-0 and Gould scored a first half hat-trick. i remember it well, because we’d just had the new scoreboard installed, and it showed 999. The Mirror (my dad’s paper) the next day ran the headline with a photograph of the scoreboard ‘999 but no help for Ipswich’.

thekidfromstrettoncamp

George Hudsons record in the first division(P/L today ) with Northampton was 6 in their last 11 games on joining them,players today would be proud of that.
Don’t forget the goalies didn’t wear gloves back in the day - that’s surely played a part in the amount scored by old City strikers
Think you'll find they did remember Arthur Lightning and Jim Blyth definitely in gloves.Must say balls were leather and use to hold water on rainy days making them harder to hit or to head.

The Philosopher

It’s a tricky one, we’ve had some great strikers that were here only briefly - John Hartson springs to mind - so I’m basing my pick on being here for a good while and in their prime whilst here. Keane wasn’t here long enough on that basis and Regis was in his pomp at WBA.

So

Dublin & Speedie.

JimmyHillsbeard

“Fall down Martin” was the first victim of the HR crowd’s boo boys I ever encountered.

Kevin Gallacher kept us up on his own for two and a half seasons.

slowpoke

Neither did George Hudson for us.

Bobby Gould was a very aggressive player could describe him as a bit of a dirty b.
Was limited with the ball, I remember Bill Shankly as a tv pundit saying Gould couldn’t trap a bag of cement which raised a bit of a giggle,but in fairness Bob always put a shift in.

Last edited:

nicksar

One that never gets a mention is David Cross from the early 70's he was a really good "old fashioned" centre forward with a good goals to games ratio for us....very good player imo.
Has an aside I was on a package holiday many years ago and Ian Wallace and his wife were on the same holiday he had to fly home to sign for Forest during the holiday and returned two days later...I did a days Wind Surfing training with him and tbh we were both absolutely shite!!
Nice down to earth bloke though.

skyblue025

Going on strikers who I have seen in a City shirt it would be Robbie Keane and either Ian Wallace or Terry Gibson. With Keane creating those 2 poachers would have a field day. Keane made Roussel look good so what he would do with quality next to him would be immense.

skyblue025

Going on strikers who I have seen in a City shirt it would be Robbie Keane and either Ian Wallace or Terry Gibson. With Keane creating those 2 poachers would have a field day. Keane made Roussel look good so what he would do with quality next to him would be immense

slowpoke

Another centre-forward we never really got the best of left us for West Brom scored did okay for a year and got snapped up by West Ham and scored a load of goals, we’ve been a bit of a graveyard for strikers over the years.

The Philosopher

Another centre-forward we never really got the best of left us for West Brom scored did okay for a year and got snapped up by West Ham and scored a load of goals, we’ve been a bit of a graveyard for strikers over the years.
We’d had loads of strikers that did incredibly well elsewhere. Mark Hateley went on to play for Milan and England, for a while he was by any measure a top level striker.

Gary Bannister probably has a top flight goals to game ratio to match anyone prior to (re) joining us.

Did Keegan actually ever sign for us at youth level or was it just a trial?

Of the post Prem era, Gyok is out on his own, surely?

slowpoke

We’d had loads of strikers that did incredibly well elsewhere. Mark Hateley went on to play for Milan and England, for a while he was by any measure a top level striker.

Gary Bannister probably has a top flight goals to game ratio to match anyone prior to (re) joining us.

No, Keenan while living with relations at Nuneaton had a bit of time as a 15 or so year old which would have been equivalent to todays scholars, not sure how far down the road that got but it was kids level, wasn’t Chris Waddle here too but got rejected.

Theonlywayisskyblue

Difficult to look beyond Fergie and the wonder of Wallace not least because they were such a well suited and prolific partnership. Not necessarily the best 2 players but what a partnership - with Dion on the bench of course just in case

Boosh

Best strikers in my lifetime are Gyokeres, King and Godden

PVA

If you’re not old enough to have seen Dublin you must be 25 or younger I would imagine. Given that you joined the forum in 2011, you would’ve been around 13?

I said I don't remember him playing.

I was 8 when he left. I know I went to at least one game he played in when I was 7, but have no memory of watching him or what he was like as a player (for us).

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

I wonder if this will get the same amount of ridicule from @Grendel and @Sick Boy as when I mentioned Gyokeres 🧐

"Dublin was a far better player than Vik."

Can I just point out that Dublin was at the peak of his career when he played for us, where's Gyokores is just starting out on he's carrier.

Offhegoes

Adam Armstrong was terrific for half a season under Mowbray. Then the January window and the sale of Maddison sucked the life out of the team, and he like many others wasn't the same.

Grendel

I said I don't remember him playing.

I was 8 when he left. I know I went to at least one game he played in when I was 7, but have no memory of watching him or what he was like as a player (for us).

You must have only been 9 or 10 when Keane played them

PVA

You must have only been 9 or 10 when Keane played them

Yep and I have quite vivid memories of him playing.

This is just getting bizarre now. Questioning me on my age all because of one innocuous comment. I know you're all a little obsessed and I'm flattered, but yeah, bit weird.

blunted

Keegan was rejected for being too small after a trial. Think we also rejected Waddle

Users who are viewing this thread