Dacosta (1 Viewer)

SBT

Badlan and the crew brought in some absolute dross, and whilst some players did work out and were good, the margins with such a tight budget need to be respected, and we had far too many players that weren't good really good enough.
We got promoted twice.

shmmeee

The summer we signed Hamer etc, was the best one, but there were so many shit players and transfer windows under the previous recruitment regime. The only thing that is really exceptional was the management's ability to get the squad to continuously over perform, and I think sometimes people lack appreciation for Robins and the job he has done. We might have more money now, but the recruitment is a lot more strategic. Badlan and the crew brought in some absolute dross, and whilst some players did work out and were good, the margins with such a tight budget need to be respected, and we had far too many players that weren't good really good enough.

Bakayoko
Kastaneer
Charlie Wakefield
Allassani
Junior Brown
Morgan Williams
David Meyler
Jobello
Hillsner
Da Costa
Adaramola

That is without even looking. I believe Badlan was also sacked from his role at Blackpool, which just about says it all. Looking at it now though, with such a strong squad building and the deadwood brought in from the previous recruitment cleared out, I am very excited to see what Robins can do with them. I think we are going places.

You’re merging about four teams across three divisions over six years to get there though. The amount of player turnover we’ve had has been ridiculous.

The only ways to judge a transfer policy IMO are:
- Does it turn a profit? (Hell yes!)
- Does it progress the team? (Hell yes!)
- Is it sustainable for the club? (Is anything?)

I think you’ll have a far stronger case now TBH. If Wright or Simms fails then we’ve spent a big chunk on a long term high wage contract. But even then if MvE turns into a £10m player, or we sell Sheaf/O’Hare in the summer we’re easily back in the positive.

torchomatic

Hobo

I heard that certain names were put forward and when MR said over the phone, "Let's go for a Costa first."

Next thing he new we had signed Da Costa.

Earlsdon_Skyblue1

We got promoted twice.
They've just made the club £35m

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

You’re merging about four teams across three divisions over six years to get there though. The amount of player turnover we’ve had has been ridiculous.

The only ways to judge a transfer policy IMO are:
- Does it turn a profit? (Hell yes!)
- Does it progress the team? (Hell yes!)
- Is it sustainable for the club? (Is anything?)

I think you’ll have a far stronger case now TBH. If Wright or Simms fails then we’ve spent a big chunk on a long term high wage contract. But even then if MvE turns into a £10m player, or we sell Sheaf/O’Hare in the summer we’re easily back in the positive.

Would we have got promoted with any other manager? Almost certainly not. There were so many shit players signed. Just because two made a profit, and the manager overachieved, it doesn't ignore that. If you are analysing the recruitment you need to include all the seasons they were here, and the bigger picture needs to be looked at fairly and constructively. The recruitment got a bit of a free pass in many ways because we have such a good management team able to work such magic. Ultimately they ended up at Blackpool and got fired from there. By all accounts it seems like we have a much better team in place now.

SBT

Would we have got promoted with any other manager? Almost certainly not. There were so many shit players signed. Just because two made a profit, and the manager overachieved, it doesn't ignore that. If you are analysing the recruitment you need to include all the seasons they were here, and the bigger picture needs to be looked at fairly and constructively. The recruitment got a bit of a free pass in many ways because we have such a good management team able to work such magic. Ultimately they ended up at Blackpool and got fired from there. By all accounts it seems like we have a much better team in place now.
Robins has done a fantastic job for sure, but it’s not him alone - which players, for example, would you say were most crucial to us going from League Two up to where we are now?

SlowerThanPlatt

He didn’t go to Blackpool in a recruitment role

LilleSkyBlue

I heard that certain names were put forward and when MR said over the phone, "Let's go for a Costa first."

Next thing he new we had signed Da Costa.

This certainly seems like a convincing true story, but you just don't know these days.

Grendel

lordsummerisle

That first half against Forest possibly one of the worst performances ever seen for Coventry.

john Gayle levels of shit.

skybluetom

I've never seen a player seemingly so confused about his position. I think it was Forest at home where Dabo started at centre half, and he spent most of it telling Decosta where he should be. Bare in mind Dacosta had been at the club a fair while then, under the same manager, playing the same system. Whilst his attitude and application always seemed great, his actual ability was shocking.

Users who are viewing this thread