David Boddy's Programme Notes (1 Viewer)

Nick

Administrator
"Good evening and welcome to tonight’s game against Blackburn here at the Ricoh Arena in the Carabao Cup.

It’s our pleasure to welcome the players, officials and supporters of Blackburn Rovers, and not least Tony Mowbray and Mark Venus, who will need no introduction to Sky Blues fans. Indeed it was Mark that was instrumental in initially bringing me to the club, so I thank him for the opportunity.

This is the first time I have written programme notes in PUSB since my appointment as Chief Executive in June.

When I was appointed, I said how excited I was by the potential for the coming season under Mark Robins. Saturday’s win against Notts County showed some of that, and I am sure there is more to come. However, I am sure Mark will stay grounded, as there is a long season ahead of us.

I am responsible for the day-to-day operation of the club, and my priorities are to develop the commercial opportunities and aim to improve our engagement with community, supporters and all stakeholders in the club.

It has on the whole been a very positive summer. We have new commercial agreements in place, with Soccer Supplement our new Nutrition Partner and Genesis Employment sponsoring the Goal of the Month competition. It’s important we continue to acquire new partners, as well as enjoying close relationships with existing ones, such as our shirt sponsors Allsopp & Allsopp.

Speaking of shirts, we have been very pleased with the response to the new home and away kits. I am delighted to tell you that sales of the home shirt in the first five and a half weeks have surpassed the total sold of last year’s home shirt all season! We will work with our retail partner JustSport to ensure the shop is stocked with what is undoubtedly the most popular shirt for a number of years.

Despite the drop to League Two, Season Ticket sales have been strong and I would like to thank everyone who has bought so far. We anticipated a decrease following relegation, but the fact it has been less that we expected emphasises the faith you as supporters have in Mark Robins and his team, and your loyalty to your club.

I would like to apologise on behalf of the club to fans who did not receive their Season Ticket card until the opening day of the season. This delay was caused by an issue while printing cards, between the interfaces of Ticketmaster and Fortress Access Control. As soon as this issue became clear, it was our priority as a club to let those fans affected know what was happening and ensure they could attend the opening day with as little hassle as possible.

Now that this has been done, I have arranged a meeting with senior management at Ticketmaster to review what happened and how the overall ticketing experience can be improved for our supporters. Ticketing is something which affects every single supporter, as well as being the main source of revenue for the club, so it is vital this is addressed.

Today sees the start of the cup campaigns this season, and we will be playing in the Carabao Cup, Emirates FA Cup and of course Checkatrade Trophy. We all saw at the end of the last season the effect a good cup run and success can have on the club, its supporters and the city as a whole, and we all hope that we can galvanise everyone involved in Coventry City throughout the 2017/18 season."

PUSB: 'From the Boardroom' versus Blackburn

Interesting how shirt sales beat last year, loads seemed to get last year's for the Checkatrade too!

skybluetony176

TBF he comes across quite well in that. Factual (as far as I can tell) and to the point, didn't skirt the ticketing issues and said what I would imagine season ticket holders wanted to hear.

Captain Dart

TBF he comes across quite well in that. Factual (as far as I can tell) and to the point, didn't skirt the ticketing issues and said what I would imagine season ticket holders wanted to hear.
Everybody using ticketmaster had a similar problem.

oucho

Boddy is still alive then? First I've heard from him since his appointment ages ago. The club said the new CEO would be a high visibility presence, out there promoting the club. Fair to say he has not been that so far . Wonder what he does to justify his salary....or is he "unpaid" like Tim?

Nick

Administrator
Boddy is still alive then? First I've heard from him since his appointment ages ago. The club said the new CEO would be a high visibility presence, out there promoting the club. Fair to say he has not been that so far . Wonder what he does to justify his salary....or is he "unpaid" like Tim?

He last said something on Friday didn't he?

oucho

He last said something on Friday didn't he?
Didn't hear it myself. Either way, he's not been exactly prominent so far in spite of what was promised.

RoboCCFC90

I spoke to DB at length after the 'Evening with Mark Robins' he speaks very well and doesn't cover dress any issues.

mark82

There's been a decent change in things if you take a step back and look at things so far.

I agree.

Also, from what I've seen he's been quite visible and approachable. He was talking to fans at the kit launch and was answering any questions asked honestly (as far as I could tell). I've also seen the social media team give out his direct email address on Twitter to someone that had a question for him. Hardly seems he's hiding away. People not willing to give him a chance because of a) what happened at Worcester and b) he works for CCFC and reports to Tim Fisher.

Nick

Administrator
I agree.

Also, from what I've seen he's been quite visible and approachable. He was talking to fans at the kit launch and was answering any questions asked honestly (as far as I could tell). I've also seen the social media team give out his direct email address on Twitter to someone that had a question for him. Hardly seems he's hiding away. People not willing to give him a chance because of a) what happened at Worcester and b) he works for CCFC and reports to Tim Fisher.

Think Oucho is a good example ;) "Haven't heard off him" when we did on Friday.

Seen some good things that apparently are from him, main one is the corporate offer.

RoboCCFC90

It was probably you I saw talking to him.

More than likely, I was speaking to a few people from the Club for a good period :emoji_relaxed:

oucho

Personally I haven't heard a peep out of him since his appointment, but then again I don't follow absolutely every bit of communication from the club. That's the point - I shouldn't have to. As a reasonably interested fan who checks CCFC websites every day, he shouldn't be invisible to me - the club promised the new CEO would be a highly visible presence and for me, he hasn't been that so far. Still, if he's had any influence on our squad development and good start to the season, that must rank as a positive.

Nick

Administrator
Personally I haven't heard a peep out of him since his appointment, but then again I don't follow absolutely every bit of communication from the club. That's the point - I shouldn't have to. As a reasonably interested fan who checks CCFC websites every day, he shouldn't be invisible to me - the club promised the new CEO would be a highly visible presence and for me, he hasn't been that so far. Still, if he's had any influence on our squad development and good start to the season, that must rank as a positive.

But if you checked the website every day you would have seen it on Friday? Pretty sure he has done other things about shirt sales and then setup things like e-mailing fans inviting them for a free meal etc.

Not saying he is phoning fans up one by one and giving them a reacharound, but the fact he seems to jump in and make statements if there are issues (grimsby, ticketmaster) to say whats happening and that he is onto it is already a marked improvement.

Esoterica

He's only been in that role for 6 weeks, most of which was in the off season. I get that everyone wants to hate him because of Worcester and SISU but on a day to day basis, the club seems to be running better than it has for years (not suggesting it's all down to him either). The communication via club website and twitter account has never been better and there seems to be more commercial activity than usual, however small (e.g. goal of the month sponsors). Until he announces he's negotiating a deal for us to play at Nuneaton next season i'll give him the benefit of the doubt, although I'm sorry that he's not stopping off at your house each morning and shouting updates through your letterbox. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

RoboCCFC90

I'm sure I heard him say to someone it would be best if SISU sold.

There was a few added bits on top of that, but words to that affect.

oucho

He's only been in that role for 6 weeks, most of which was in the off season. I get that everyone wants to hate him because of Worcester and SISU but on a day to day basis, the club seems to be running better than it has for years (not suggesting it's all down to him either). The communication via club website and twitter account has never been better and there seems to be more commercial activity than usual, however small (e.g. goal of the month sponsors). Until he announces he's negotiating a deal for us to play at Nuneaton next season i'll give him the benefit of the doubt, although I'm sorry that he's not stopping off at your house each morning and shouting updates through your letterbox. :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
But if you checked the website every day you would have seen it on Friday? Pretty sure he has done other things about shirt sales and then setup things like e-mailing fans inviting them for a free meal etc.

Not saying he is phoning fans up one by one and giving them a reacharound, but the fact he seems to jump in and make statements if there are issues (grimsby, ticketmaster) to say whats happening and that he is onto it is already a marked improvement.

All I'm saying that, as someone who doesn't follow every tweet/web story but who does come onto SBT / Cov Tel etc multiple times per day, and who has been to two of the first 3 games, both of which put me far ahead of most fans, he's been invisible so far.

Nick

Administrator
All I'm saying that, as someone who doesn't follow every tweet/web story but who does come onto SBT / Cov Tel etc multiple times per day, and who has been to two of the first 3 games, both of which put me far ahead of most fans, he's been invisible so far.
Maybe you don't want to see? Especially as the article was obvious on Friday and was discussed on here ;) then you are just trying to ignore when people are pointing things out.

Last edited:

Skybluefaz

His comments on the Grimsby ticket withdrawal were on twitter. He came across quite well. They seem to be putting MR front and centre, quite rightly as the fans pretty much universally back him. Which in itself is a good marketing decision.

Moff

What was promised?

Promotion to the Premier league in one season, eleventy billion transfer fund, and Joy to do a walk of shame through Coventry like Cersei's in Game of Thrones. Oh and Fisher to be stuffed by a taxidermist.
Cant believe he hasn't delivered, I would even forgive him if he only did the last one with Fisher. ;)

NorthernWisdom

Promotion to the Premier league in one season, eleventy billion transfer fund, and Joy to do a walk of shame through Coventry like Cersei's in Game of Thrones. Oh and Fisher to be stuffed by a taxidermist.
Cant believe he hasn't delivered, I would even forgive him if he only did the last one with Fisher. ;)

As long as it's this taxidermist.

taxidermy-640x420.jpg

Esoterica

So you don't buy a programme, you don't check the official Cov twitter or CCFC website but because you've not read anything about him on a company's website who are banned from the club you've decided he's invisible and wondering what a guy who has been in his job for 6 weeks is doing to justify his salary. OK....

oucho

Maybe you don't want to see? Especially as the article was obvious on Friday and was discussed on here ;) then you are just trying to ignore when people are pointing things out.
So you don't buy a programme, you don't check the official Cov twitter or CCFC website but because you've not read anything about him on a company's website who are banned from the club you've decided he's invisible and wondering what a guy who has been in his job for 6 weeks is doing to justify his salary. OK....

Correct - like most other fans. Who banned the CT? Not the CT themselves. Spoke to lots of fans on Saturday who said the same thing..."has he been on holiday since he joined?". Still, obviously those of us who don't follow the official channels are numptys who should just shut up, clearly we're ignoring the club for the sake of a moan, in no way should any reasonable fan expect the club to communicate very visibly through non official channels.

Still, early days and he results seems good so I will shut up moaning for now. I would like to see him on CWR or the Cov Tel every other day though, even if just as a quote - that's the sort of drum-banging, front and centre CEO we need, not someone who expects fans to follow the club's official channels.

Users who are viewing this thread