Match Thread Derby Match Thread (1 Viewer)

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Out of the most recent penalty / non penalty incidents the Derby one given was softer than the Hull Gyok wrestle down and the Tavares take out.

VAR:

I think VAR should be used in the championship play off final for sure. So much at stake.

For the Semi’s ?

Possibly.

Last game of the season where relegation / promotion can rest on a bad decision?

Maybe that too.

The rest?

Not yet. A few years I think it’s inevitable.

I don't think you can start arbitrarily adding the technology in for odd games. It's either the whole competition or not at all. having VAR in cup games for PL teams at home and nowhere else is a farce, and most likely to benefit the PL team as they'll most likely be doing the most attacking.

So let's say a VAR decision goes against a team on the final day of the season that denies them promotion/gets them relegated. Yet in the 45 games beforehand they've had half a dozen that they'd have got with VAR and would like have made that final day decision redundant. Similarly with play-offs - during the season that team may have got enough VAR decisions to have not needed the play-offs in the first place, then fail to get promotion because it's used in a couple of games.

The Philosopher

I don't think you can start arbitrarily adding the technology in for odd games. It's either the whole competition or not at all. having VAR in cup games for PL teams at home and nowhere else is a farce, and most likely to benefit the PL team as they'll most likely be doing the most attacking.

So let's say a VAR decision goes against a team on the final day of the season that denies them promotion/gets them relegated. Yet in the 45 games beforehand they've had half a dozen that they'd have got with VAR and would like have made that final day decision redundant. Similarly with play-offs - during the season that team may have got enough VAR decisions to have not needed the play-offs in the first place, then fail to get promotion because it's used in a couple of games.
I believe VAR is coming.

It’s how it’s going to be phased in is the conundrum

SBT

Does anyone honestly think they’d enjoy football more if VAR was part and parcel of the matchday experience?

I just can’t imagine walking away from the ground on a Saturday and saying “That was a great bit of VAR there, really enjoyed it, can’t wait to see the highlights” etc

SkyblueTexan

I felt like the ref gave the penalty after a period of several minutes where Derby fans were on his back after a couple decisions went for us .. it felt like he gave it to say " there you go "
Derby were trying their best even in the first half to convince the ref to award a penalty. Eventually the ref caved in to their demands. Spineless idiot. How many times have our players been fouled in the box and not been awarded anything this season?

Johhny Blue

Derby were trying their best even in the first half to convince the ref to award a penalty. Eventually the ref caved in to their demands. Spineless idiot. How many times have our players been fouled in the box and not been awarded anything this season?
It’s amazing no one else thought of this

wingy

It was like he caved to the hostile atmosphere which was surprisingly mediocre 24k crowd .
Why weren't we allowed more tickets to generate income to a team in administration?

SkyblueTexan

You would think that if someone instigates contact they are the one at risk of giving a foul away, not the other way around.
Our players need to learn a few things from the book of dark arts and shithousery for next season such as if a player instigates contact to draw a foul you should fall yourself and act like you’ve been shot, how to draw fouls in the box by initiating contact/tripping over yourself, how delay the game when you are leading etc.

HuckerbyDublinWhelan

Our players need to learn a few things from the book of dark arts and shithousery for next season such as if a player instigates contact to draw a foul you should fall yourself and act like you’ve been shot, how to draw fouls in the box by initiating contact/tripping over yourself, how delay the game when you are leading etc.
This. We’d all love it to be out the game, but it’s not. We need to get better at shithousery if we want to progress

SBT

We literally do all of this already.

SlowerThanPlatt

It was like he caved to the hostile atmosphere which was surprisingly mediocre 24k crowd .
Why weren't we allowed more tickets to generate income to a team in administration?

They got to general sale and on here people were trying to get rid of unneeded tickets, doubt we would have sold too many more.

Evo1883

They got to general sale and on here people were trying to get rid of unneeded tickets, doubt we would have sold too many more.

It sold out on the morning of general sale over a week before the match , we'd have sold a good few more

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

I believe VAR is coming.

It’s how it’s going to be phased in is the conundrum
I agree that it will be coming in. I just don't think the opinion that it be brought in for odd games that supposedly have a lot riding on them is the correct approach.

I also hope when we have it at our games it's vastly improved than the current farce, and looks to others sports like rugby, cricket and the NFL on how to improve it.

The Philosopher

I agree that it will be coming in. I just don't think the opinion that it be brought in for odd games that supposedly have a lot riding on them is the correct approach.

I also hope when we have it at our games it's vastly improved than the current farce, and looks to others sports like rugby, cricket and the NFL on how to improve it.
Maybe the sides are given the choice in the play off final for example.

If we were to miraculously scrape 6th and fluke the final, I’d be gutted to lose on a dodgy decision

Sky_Blue_Dreamer

Does anyone honestly think they’d enjoy football more if VAR was part and parcel of the matchday experience?

I just can’t imagine walking away from the ground on a Saturday and saying “That was a great bit of VAR there, really enjoyed it, can’t wait to see the highlights” etc
Not necessarily but it would depend on how they improve using it.

As it is it makes being at the match a poor experience as fans in the ground have no idea what's going on. It's why I like rugby where it is shown on the screen and the conversation between officials can be heard.

If a time limit were set on it, like 30sec-1min it would not interrupt flow as much. If you can't make a decision in that time then it's not an obvious error so carry on. Spending minutes drawing lines on screen to show a player is a knats bollock offside which is within the margin of error for the technology is taking a lot away from the game.

Or if it became tactical, whereby we had to choose when to challenge it becomes part of tactics and would be discussed in a similar way to substitutions.

So although I don't think it would add much, it certainly would not take anything away IF implemented correctly.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

Depends if it goes for you or against you.

COVKIDSNEVERQUIT

And this is what it always comes down to - if people only give a shit when decisions go their way, then we may as well just let the refs get on with it. VAR sure as hell isn’t going to start magically benefiting Coventry City, however much we like to think we’re uniquely hard done by refs.

Well yes,VAR is just another shit ref looking at a TV monitor.

SBT

Not necessarily but it would depend on how they improve using it.

As it is it makes being at the match a poor experience as fans in the ground have no idea what's going on. It's why I like rugby where it is shown on the screen and the conversation between officials can be heard.

If a time limit were set on it, like 30sec-1min it would not interrupt flow as much. If you can't make a decision in that time then it's not an obvious error so carry on. Spending minutes drawing lines on screen to show a player is a knats bollock offside which is within the margin of error for the technology is taking a lot away from the game.

Or if it became tactical, whereby we had to choose when to challenge it becomes part of tactics and would be discussed in a similar way to substitutions.

So although I don't think it would add much, it certainly would not take anything away IF implemented correctly.

Forgive me if I don’t have much enthusiasm for making football more like fucking rugby ffs. I can’t think of a single sport that uses video refs which doesn’t end up turning into some tedious slo-mo fest for the benefit of the guys watching at home on TV.

Even when you put limits on video challenges like the NFL does, it just slows the game down to a crawl. Good if you want more ad breaks, pauses in play, or things for the panel to discuss at half time - boring as hell for everything else.

The only exception is when it comes to deciding if the ball has crossed the line, which I have no problem with as it’s instant and it works. And even then it doesn’t stop people moaning.

Terry Gibson's perm

VAR as a system and idea is fine but the people that look at the screens are the same useless idiots we get in the middle every week so god help us.

torchomatic

Quite simply one of the worst away experiences in all my years following the club.

We were right up on Row V, next to the Derby fans behind the goal. Fine until a load of drunk kids (17/18) sat around us both. Kid next to me was standing in front of me goading the Derby fans, spreading his arms wide and hitting me on the head. Told him to stop it or move. He wouldn't . A load of his mates joined in having a go. He moved once the game kicked off, but there were loads of them standing in the gangway next to our seat. A kid sat in the seat next to me, so drunk he had his head in his hands. He was then sick all over the seats in front of him. We moved just in time as he was then sick all over our seats. Their stewards allowed us to sit in their seats. Once we scored they bascially swarmed all over the gangway. There were a couple of ladies in front of us and one bloke kept putting his hands on the shoulders of one of them and was rubbing her back. She obviously looked really uncomfortable. The steward was going to chuck him out but he moved before they got chance.'t

At half time they moved us down by the corner flag along with another bloke with his two kids who seemed pretty traumatized by the whole experience.

I must have been really lucky in the past by avoiding sitting near these idiots. I was genuinely shocked. They had little interest in the game and were just threatening Derby fans. Bet they would have run a mile if a Derby fan was anyway near them. When I was that age I went to the game, shouted and sang and that was it. We didn't ruin the experience for other fans.

I felt sorry for the stewards who had to deal with these twats. Hopefully, I'll never be near them again.

chiefdave

Quite simply one of the worst away experiences in all my years following the club.

We were right up on Row V, next to the Derby fans behind the goal. Fine until a load of drunk kids (17/18) sat around us both. Kid next to me was standing in front of me goading the Derby fans, spreading his arms wide and hitting me on the head. Told him to stop it or move. He wouldn't . A load of his mates joined in having a go. He moved once the game kicked off, but there were loads of them standing in the gangway next to our seat. A kid sat in the seat next to me, so drunk he had his head in his hands. He was then sick all over the seats in front of him. We moved just in time as he was then sick all over our seats. Their stewards allowed us to sit in their seats. Once we scored they bascially swarmed all over the gangway. There were a couple of ladies in front of us and one bloke kept putting his hands on the shoulders of one of them and was rubbing her back. She obviously looked really uncomfortable. The steward was going to chuck him out but he moved before they got chance.'t

At half time they moved us down by the corner flag along with another bloke with his two kids who seemed pretty traumatized by the whole experience.

I must have been really lucky in the past by avoiding sitting near these idiots. I was genuinely shocked. They had little interest in the game and were just threatening Derby fans. Bet they would have run a mile if a Derby fan was anyway near them. When I was that age I went to the game, shouted and sang and that was it. We didn't ruin the experience for other fans.

I felt sorry for the stewards who had to deal with these twats. Hopefully, I'll never be near them again.
Its sad but I'm seeing more and more stories like this and it will just end up with people deciding its not worth the trouble and staying at home.

torchomatic

Its sad but I'm seeing more and more stories like this and it will just end up with people deciding its not worth the trouble and staying at home.

I think you're right, Dave. As I said, we have always been lucky in the past. In recent weeks we've been to Southampton, Reading and Bristol City, but not had any issues. I cannot explain how awful it was. They're so young too. Shocking.

Grendel

just pathetic I’m sure away “fans” are just mutants who never attend home games

Users who are viewing this thread