Does Anyone Remember 'Happy' and His Regular Coach to Away Games? (1 Viewer)

Steve.B50

They used to sing 'happy is our leader' happy is our leader' nah nah nah but he was not a leader just a jovial character that sadly died a few years back.I remember at Derby away when it kicked off with the old bill and Happy returned a helmet to a copper and although was not involved was frog marched away with the whole Cov crowd singing his name

I remember that day at the Baseball Ground

Samo

The pink,what a publication !!!
Waiting outside the papershop for the van.
Everyone payed in advance and waited for the little black van !!
Happy memories !!

Waiting for the Pink. Ah what memories!

WestEndAgro

They used to sing 'happy is our leader' happy is our leader' nah nah nah but he was not a leader just a jovial character that sadly died a few years back.I remember at Derby away when it kicked off with the old bill and

Happy returned a helmet to a copper and although was not involved was frog marched away with the whole Cov crowd singing his name

and now we sing "Jesus give us a song Jesus, Jesus give us a song"

Wiseoldfool

Yeah happy passed away a few years ago.Nice bloke definitely no hooligan.Mind you his brother was mates with hatchet.Hatchet still a regular supporter.

city old boy

Was told Happy sadly passed away years ago. Does anybody remember another lad called Sparrow always got on the pitch at wanky wanderers everybody would follow from the South bank and charge the wolves in the North bank he used to do the same at Leicester. Good old days

dongonzalos

Was told Happy sadly passed away years ago. Does anybody remember another lad called Sparrow always got on the pitch at wanky wanderers everybody would follow from the South bank and charge the wolves in the North bank he used to do the same at Leicester. Good old days

If it is who I think it is and not another Happy, then unfortunately passed away about 3-4 years ago.

Samo

So we have Happy, Hatchet, Sparrow and Monkey! Those were the days! :)

jesus-wept

Happy....Dave Kelly, didn't know he had died. Bit of a character and an original member of the chicken gang, the first "mob" at HR. He was a local referee, was alsoout 20 stone and hardly moved from the centre circle.
Hatchett...Roy Dunkley, still lives in Wood End. Good lad. Stood toe to toe with many home and away, led the infamous charge across the pitch from South Bank to the North Bank at Wolves to battle it out with Wolves and the old bill, the old bill won, as usual.
Tough times at footie in those bad old 70s and 80s, nowhere was safe.

Sparrow... won't give his name but a bit of a leader of he skinheads of the early 70s, the first "serious" mob which became the Legion.

Last edited:

swanageskyblue

I remember Happy very clearly. Very early 70s, around the time we got into Europe, travelling on RHMS coaches from Pool Meadow. He was a larger than life character and looked out for the youngsters (which I was then - a long time ago!). Seem to recall he had a high-pitched voice. He seemed a good guy and it is sad to hear that he is no longer with us.

StevieM

I think from my old band playing days that Happys old man was the entertainment secretary at the old Railways club up Spon End.
Happy was his right hand man and used to get a shit load of abuse from all the bands that played there (the old man used to send him in to tell the bands that they were too loud)!
He used to be a volunteer at the old Walsgrave Hospital for years, and yes he was a referee in the minor leagues-he sent me off for calling him a "twat"!!

He passed away some years ago, don't think that he was that old but I think that he had been ill for some time as I recall.

covhead1

Happy....Dave Kelly, didn't know he had died. Bit of a character and an original member of the chicken gang, the first "mob" at HR. He was a local referee, was alsoout 20 stone and hardly moved from the centre circle.
Hatchett...Roy Dunkley, still lives in Wood End. Good lad. Stood toe to toe with many home and away, led the infamous charge across the pitch from South Bank to the North Bank at Wolves to battle it out with Wolves and the old bill, the old bill won, as usual.

Sparrow... won't give his name but a bit of a leader of he skinheads of the early 70s, the first "serious" mob which became the Legion.

except back then they were called 'the mental'.

jaymo132

1 trip that stands out was Norwich then into great yarmouth after, late seventies, ended up in Tiffany's on the front and it kicked off in the toilet with some local marshal arts type. I'm not a trouble maker, but had the marks on my face for weeks after.:facepalm: Missed the coach back and had to Hitch hick back the next day. Took 16 hrs at least!!!

I have recollection of a trip to Yarmouth after a Norwich game 1976 ..i think....Big trouble broke out in Tiffanys and some Kung fu type was going round the club bragging he had done some Cov fans in the toilet..small world eh...

Anyone remember the Ewings that used to frequent the West end..mid 70's ....came from Earlsdon ... i think:rolleyes:

Joy Division

I'm too young for most of this and don't know any of these characters yet find all these little anecdotes really interesting.

ricohroar

I know infamous football gangs have writen books, like the soul crew etc, on football violence, and I know our club hasn't got such a reputation luckily. But I'd be very interested in reading some of the old days goings on a CCFC, not just trouble at matches, but good stories of away days and the west end. I bet theres a fair few out there with good stories to tell of the sky blues of old.

Make a great read.

covhead1

I have recollection of a trip to Yarmouth after a Norwich game 1976 ..i think....Big trouble broke out in Tiffanys and some Kung fu type was going round the club bragging he had done some Cov fans in the toilet..small world eh...

Anyone remember the Ewings that used to frequent the West end..mid 70's ....came from Earlsdon ... i think:rolleyes:

yes i remember them, but did'nt they live in cheylesmore?

wantedDOA

Funny how you remember things. Some of my fondest memories are standing waiting for 'The Pink' with my late Dad. That's what so many of the kids are missing out on now with all the nonsense that is going on with our club. Destroying the next generation of City fans!!

thaiskyblue

All good lads , Dave Kelly r.i.p always had a smile on his face much missed. ying tongs .

jaymo132

Always remember a trip to Burnley last game of 75-76 season with Dave Kelly aka Happy.Our coach had a run in with the Baggies on motorway service station.:thinking about:

I know infamous football gangs have writen books, like the soul crew etc, on football violence, and I know our club hasn't got such a reputation luckily. But I'd be very interested in reading some of the old days goings on a CCFC, not just trouble at matches, but good stories of away days and the west end. I bet theres a fair few out there with good stories to tell of the sky blues of old.

Make a great read.

I agree, would make a great book.

Anybody remember Mr Sox? Ran on the pitch to confront Stratchen, I believe there's a picture of it in one of Stratchens books. He was also known to sell snide clobber.

robofcov

Yes they did Kensington Road knew them well

Samo

I seem to remember some lads with the one eye made up re Clockwork Orange and razor blades in thier collars for the old bill. Was probably a national craze but I remember a few walkin up to HR. Anyone else?

martcov

Yes they did Kensington Road knew them well
You mean Mad Alex and Bobby…..Mad Alex invited himself to my 21st. Was really nice on that night, but always seemed to land himself in trouble normally..

Tonylinc

The name Dunkley rings a bell. Did he not play for Cov Sporting at one time? I think that it was in the same team as the lad Ireland. Played in the same Sunday team as his brother Brent-what a player he was!

steve1987

I was on the coach to the semi of the league cup against west ham away, coach broke down, took all our cash to get another driver to take us to game and got stuck outside uptown park after losing with no coach!! Scary!

martcov

I was on the coach to the semi of the league cup against west ham away, coach broke down, took all our cash to get another driver to take us to game and got stuck outside uptown park after losing with no coach!! Scary!
I was there too… we had to wait behind after the game before the police let us out…. outside the police suddenly vanished and I landed with West Ham fans following the city fans to the coaches… got rumbled and ran to the coaches… jumped on one and the driver pulled away… the windows got put through and we had a windy journey home. Scary with a coach...

Tonylinc

The name Dunkley rings a bell. Did he not play for Cov Sporting at one time? I think that it was in the same team as the lad Ireland. Played in the same Sunday team as his brother Brent-what a player he was!
Seem to recall that his name was Melvin Ireland.

Users who are viewing this thread